• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice movie thread for your reading pleasure
2 2

8,095 posts in this topic

This is craziness!

I would give it a 8.8 out of 10 Right now and I will re vist after Fridays viewing..

my $0.02

Thanks for sharing this.

And it proves once again reviews are all over the place. It's either a strong Man of Steel follow-up, a mediocre movie but not a mess, or a hot mess. Weird!

:gossip:

Totally agree! I really liked this movie!

ASM 2 review May 2, 2014

:whistle:

Haha love that you dug that up! and Yes i do still like that movie. Im a sucker for Emma stone's Gwen character.

this is much better than ASM 2.

I am so over the overtly dark and gloomy stance on things. Why do people have to be disappointed if its not 90% on RT.

The world we live in today is not a fun one to be in. Everything is overly criticized. Lets just have fun with what we watch and be happy that we are getting pretty awesome things to see on screen.

I feel like everyone thinks they are entitled to greatness. Its hard to achieve greatness.

Lets just have fun.

You are not the only one liking this movie, as has been referenced already. Someone like John Campea giving it an 8/10 and noting how much he really liked it is far different than the folks that are saying this is just a disaster/mess. And even that Youtube critic that was not liking the movie after the second trailer turning positive after seeing the movie.

This really feels like Man of Steel all over again, where forumites scored that movie anywhere from a 1/10 to a 10/10.

TLDR anything for the last few days. This is the exact result I expected: a bunch of folks made up their mind in advance of the movie that it sucks. They were vocal before and now they have their megaphones out proclaiming how right they were.

On the other side are the folks that love the movie before they see a single frame.

The rest fall in between.

I'm gonna watch the flick myself. Critics be damned.

Actually I don't see much of either of those extremes in the reviews so far. Most have it as a ok film. Neither great nor awful. Grades seem to be in the 1.5-3.5 out of 5 or C- to C+.

But how do you put out a movie this crucial to their plans and only give us an OK C grade movie?

How do 17% of people give Man of Steel 1/10.

Ridiculous score!

17% of people are basically saying Man of Steel was as bad as The Spirit.

i think it's 17 people .06% of total votes

Either way, its a stupid score to give this film. :facepalm:

TLDR anything for the last few days. This is the exact result I expected: a bunch of folks made up their mind in advance of the movie that it sucks. They were vocal before and now they have their megaphones out proclaiming how right they were.

On the other side are the folks that love the movie before they see a single frame.

The rest fall in between.

I'm gonna watch the flick myself. Critics be damned.

+1 ... that is how I see that way. I will go see the movie to enjoy. :foryou:

Ridiculous score!

It was quite the experience, with a range from 'what an amazing experience' to 'who do I sue to get my money back'.

lol

That's why whether it is Snyder's involvement and approach, or something else, Batman v Superman feels like it is going down the same path.

Ridiculous score!

Nothing is as bad as The Spirit.

Ridiculous score!

It was quite the experience, with a range from 'what an amazing experience' to 'who do I sue to get my money back'.

lol

That's why whether it is Snyder's involvement and approach, or something else, Batman v Superman feels like it is going down the same path.

Dial a quote negative style:

1 - it was too dark

2 - there was no humour in it

3 - too loud

4 - Superman is what we should all aspire to be

Vox review wasn't pretty. And Alex is a big comics fan:

http://www.vox.com/2016/3/23/11291550/batman-v-superman-dawn-of-justice-review

Excerpt:

The pathology of Batman and Superman fighting always leads back to a man named Frank Miller and his iconic comic book The Dark Knight Returns (1986). Miller, bending the comic book rules of time and space, makes Batman an older man living in dystopian Gotham City. Superman, meanwhile, is the obedient muscle of the government. Miller uses this backdrop to contrast their very different ideologies of justice and goodness, and in turn to spur their fistfight.

Though Miller's DKR isn't the only comic book story that pits the two heroes against each other (it's not even official canon), it boasts their most iconic fight. And it sets up the very real idea that two good men, perhaps the very best men, can have massively different views of what a good world looks like.

Snyder himself has spoken about how much DKR influenced Batman v Superman.

"I was talking to Frank about it: Dark Knight Returns was such a big influence on me, that I wanted to honor him through imagery in the movie," he told Comic Book Resources in 2015. "You could still make Dark Knight Returns into a movie, if you want. The visual elements, there are some that I homage, but I don't think the movie [is an adaptation]."

Snyder wasn't lying. The story he's created is much different. Batman v Superman takes place a year and a half after Man of Steel. Superman (Henry Cavill) is a hero, but despite his meticulous side part, perfect teeth, and poreless skin, people are starting to realize that a god-like being could be a liability when it comes to foreign policy, sovereignty, and due process. Bruce Wayne, who has seen firsthand the devastation that Superman can cause, is one of those people.

The reason Wayne wants to fight Superman is that Superman caused too much damage to Metropolis, and Wayne thinks a fight will make Superman and the world more cognizant of his capabilities. Or maybe it's because Wayne is still sad over his parents' deaths and experiencing some sort of hyper-PTSD. Or, wait — is it because Wayne thinks everyone is too into authoritarianism to see how insane it is to trust Superman? Perhaps it's because Wayne is jealous of Superman. Or maybe he simply can't see past Lex Luthor's (Jesse Eisenberg) tricks and an ongoing media narrative that Superman is dangerous.

This is where you wish Snyder had stuck to Miller's simple blueprint: that these two men just don't see justice the same way. None of Wayne's reasons for war are made clear enough, but they're all sort of there, flaccid and dying from a lack of sunlight and oxygen. There's a great Batman v Superman film to be made about how we mythologize our heroes and why our trust in them depends on how human we think our enemy is, but whatever Snyder created here is not it.

Ridiculous score!

lol

Dial a quote negative style:

1 - it was too dark

2 - there was no humour in it

3 - too loud

4 - Superman is what we should all aspire to be

No such thing as an action movie being too loud

This is craziness!

I would give it a 8.8 out of 10 Right now and I will re vist after Fridays viewing..

my $0.02

Thanks for sharing this.

And it proves once again reviews are all over the place. It's either a strong Man of Steel follow-up, a mediocre movie but not a mess, or a hot mess. Weird!

:gossip:

Totally agree! I really liked this movie!

ASM 2 review May 2, 2014

:whistle:

I liked ASM 2. Still do.

I only saw it twice by the way. I gave up defending it because it wasn`t worth the time and effort.

For the record ASM 2 was more enjoyable for me than Avengers Ultron and Ant-Man.