• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Books that you don't want in your collection...

206 posts in this topic

I'm kind of a key issue completist - but there are two books that I am so prejudiced against that I won't put them into my collection.

I think IMSM #1 is a lame book, compounded by the negative conditioning I have been exposed to here on the boards regarding it ensures I will never want to have one in my collection (and have had, and I gave it to a friend of mine).

And, New Mutants #98. That book is the nadir of the Copper age as it has become an icon to Rob Leifeld's popularity, artistic ability and career in the industry. To me, owning this book is about as cool as collecting celebrity bottled farts.

Anyone else have books that they chronically avoid?

07-Iron-Man-and-Sub-Mariner-1.jpg.jpg

new_mutants_vol_1_98.jpg

That’s fun Balls, because I would like to have these two books, for very different reasons:

– IMSM: I have learned to love Sub-Mariner and Iron Man, two characters I rarely read as a kid but found some of their late 1960s stories among the most mature and accomplished Marvel material. And I love the work Gene Colan did on Iron Man.

– NM #98: a series I deeply loved in its midrange issues: awesome artwork by people like Bret Blevins, Alan Davis, Jon Bogdanove and even Kevin Nowlan, and often high-end stories by Louise Simonson.

But then Liefeld came… :P and I stopped buying the title around #96 or so… to pick it up again when I learned it was going to close with #100. So I just miss #96, #97 and #98 I think… lol

To answer your question, probably these two:

– Amazing Spider-Man #238: Why this issue has to be so costly? Who cares about the Hobgoblin anyway?

– Werewolf by Night #32: I love the series and like Moon Knight, but it’s too much hyped, or maybe it’s just me… :(

– Werewolf by Night #32: I love the series and like Moon Knight, but it’s too much hyped, or maybe it’s just me… :(

Its just you!

------------

and I'll take any nm 98's in 10.0 off their hands for free.

:P

Hulk 2-6. Pass.

Really? I love those books, especially the cover of issue #6.

It's actually the covers for those books that throw me off :sorry:

The artwork for the interiors on #5 contains some of Kirby's best artwork.

NM 98...gave away my 9.4/9.6 raw copy I bought off the rack back in the days to a boardie here a few years ago.

that book will never be in my collection again. I hated it when I bought it and the more people wanted it since, the less I care to keep it so be gone.

Hulk 2-6. Pass.

Really? I love those books, especially the cover of issue #6.

It's actually the covers for those books that throw me off :sorry:

The artwork for the interiors on #5 contains some of Kirby's best artwork.

Conversely, the interior also contains some of Stan Lee's worst.

Those first Hulk books are the worst.

DC stuff i accquired a large collection that included some DC Early Silver 2nd and 3rd string titles i traded most of the decent stuff to my LCS for Silver Marvel. Just don't like the DC heros they just don't do it for me.

I thought I would never buy DC. But I bought an Action 100 on the boards the cover spoke to me. I also bought a Bats 18 the cover is so Politically Incorrect by today's standard i had to have it.