• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Books that you don't want in your collection...

206 posts in this topic

I have to admit, I'm not crazy about this book. Insanely overpriced, mediocre cover, mind-numbingly stupid story that set Batman back into camp territory after making some headway with previous Adams issues. To top it off, I hate the Beatles, and this is not even the "real" Beatles.

I got this book because I'm a completionist and to be honest, I really didn't expect to win the auction.

batman222.jpg

Agreed. I hate this cover more than cancer.

That cover is very well drawn, and a good composition.

Must be something other which makes you two hate it… lol

Yes it is well drawn and good composition but I completely understand what is not liked about it. It falls under the same category as "See Superman do the Krypton shuffle....ya ya ya " meh

Avengers 55

Ditto

So overplayed on these forums I refuse to own one.

I love that cover and is my favorite Avengers cover from that era followed closely by issue 53 with the Xmen. Read mine to death as a kid. Ultron? Didn't care I loved the art. John Buscema.

I have since sold the copies I have had for stupid money. I sold a copy that was at best a 1.5 for 60 dollars last weekend.

Avengers 55

Ditto

So overplayed on these forums I refuse to own one.

I love that cover and is my favorite Avengers cover from that era followed closely by issue 53 with the Xmen. Read mine to death as a kid. Ultron? Didn't care I loved the art. John Buscema.

I have since sold the copies I have had for stupid money. I sold a copy that was at best a 1.5 for 60 dollars last weekend.

Well done :golfclap:

I have around 10k books in my collection that I'm thinking about lighting on fire or donating. I'll burn the DCs.

This gave me an honest chuckle. I did this a few years ago. I have one copy of Sandman 1 and a few old beaten up Warlords in a box from when I was a kid. Other than that, DC won't tante my boxes.

Yellow label books are bugging me more and more. I hate it when its on a book I would otherwise gladly purchase.

Sorry to ditto quote, but this hits close to home. I don't mind SS moderns. There was a recent SS Strange Tales 110 in the sales forum that I would have gladly jumped on had it not been for the Stan Lee sig. Classic Silvers with Stan's graffiti break my heart.

Amazing Spider-Man #1.

Always hated the cover. Spidey #1 should have been iconic, but instead it's lame. The cover looks more like a second issue rather than a #1. What's up with the pose he's in inside that container? And there's no lid on the top, so how is he trapped?

I know people pay a ton for it because it's Spidey #1, but considering its not his 1st appearance and how terrible the cover is I'm making it the last book I buy to finish the run. And I'll probably just get the GRR instead.

+1

I have stands on my bookcase for my major keys so I can look at them every time I come into my office. I actually had an ASM #1 and disliked looking at it so much, I ended up selling it 6 months later. I'd probably put one in my collection if it were given to me at a deep discount, but I'll never buy another one at FMV.

I love the cover of ASM 1

I have to admit, I'm not crazy about this book. Insanely overpriced, mediocre cover, mind-numbingly stupid story that set Batman back into camp territory after making some headway with previous Adams issues. To top it off, I hate the Beatles, and this is not even the "real" Beatles.

I got this book because I'm a completionist and to be honest, I really didn't expect to win the auction.

batman222.jpg

Agreed. I hate this cover more than cancer.

That cover is very well drawn, and a good composition.

Must be something other which makes you two hate it… lol

Yes it is well drawn and good composition but I completely understand what is not liked about it. It falls under the same category as "See Superman do the Krypton shuffle....ya ya ya " meh

I think that is a great cover that captures the period well. I like covers like that :D

Maybe you prefer this beatles cover?

jo79.jpg

I know RR is a character in the GotG universe and about the movie and such... but, as a reader of the Marvel Now GotG, the Raccoon is not a favorite of mine.

rmt_rr_03.png

But that’s not Rocket Raccoon. They turned it into a warmongering jerk… lol

The books cover looks kinda cool, but I think if I bought one in grade I would eventually say to myself, "I bought this book!? First Rocket Raccoon!? Really?!?!"

And very likely the story is even good, given the average quality of the Hulks… :)

I love the new GotG books but I thought the same thing - RR seemed a little over-the-top with his zeal for shooting people to the point I thought they might cast Joe Pesci as his voice in the movies. He's kind of a :censored: face in the Nova books. I'm guessing he'll be a bit more charming in the movie.

I love the Hulk 271 cover. It's got these great colors that pop on the stark white cover and those dorky rocket shoes RR is wearing are hilarious.

Yes, all I knew of Rocket Raccon before this movie craze is the mini-series, which was brilliant: an unusual idea, well developed by Mantlo that probably would have not worked in the hands of a less skilled writer.

But how they put together (haphazardly?) these characters in the new team of the Guardians is beyond my comprehension… hm

Hulk #271 from the splash page appears as classic Mantlo. I would have picked it up for $3 or so… ;)

I picked up the Marvel Essentials Hulk that had issue 271 in it. Easily the worst story in the phone book. Just awful.

I'm slowly trying to obtain silver Marvel/DC keys, but I really don't think I'll ever get an AF 15. It's just so crazy expensive, and Spider-Man's really never been a favorite character of mine.

Anything 90's that isn't ASM, Avengers, Daredevil and Uncanny X-men. And these only get passes because of my full run goal.

Anything with a Signature. SS books make me cringe. Especially keys.

DC books. Not because I don't like or appreciate DC, but i just don't have the money to widen my focus to DC.

batman222.jpg

I think that is a great cover that captures the period well. I like covers like that :D

Maybe you prefer this beatles cover?

jo79.jpg

I think it's hilarious that they decided Jimmy was only as popular as Ringo!