• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wizard World San Antonio -- August 1-3, 2014

86 posts in this topic

It's amazing that Chicago and even Richmond are both getting better while Austin and San Antonio are both getting more and more mediocre and even cutting more. The way it looks right now I'll be skipping both Wizard's to up my budget for Cap City, Alamo City and the Amazing Houston in August. With roughly 35 days until WWSA I don't know if I will make the trip down unless they start announcing some knock my socks off guests.

I had been on the fence about going since Chicago is only 3 weeks later and that is generally where I'm going to spend my money. Skroce would have been my only real draw, and since he was also going to be at Austin I abandoned the idea of getting to SA.

Austin is still a great show that gets bigger every year so far. It will be interesting to see how the weird schedule affects it this year though. That show is a real favorite of mine, and a great way to end my show year (though that'll probably fall to Tulsa this year), so I hope they continue to support that show amidst this (ill-advised) expansion they continue to do.

I don't know the Richmond dates off the top of my head, but Chicago is growing because it is coming up shortly. That's how Wizard rolls. Much of the guest list shows up within a month or two of the show. That's why I'm not too concerned about Austin yet.

Yeah, but with San Antonio being the next Wizard Show up you would think they would show it a little love. So far their are only two artists on the list I am interested in now, one which will be at Cap City, and the other going to WW Austin.

It's amazing that Chicago and even Richmond are both getting better while Austin and San Antonio are both getting more and more mediocre and even cutting more. The way it looks right now I'll be skipping both Wizard's to up my budget for Cap City, Alamo City and the Amazing Houston in August. With roughly 35 days until WWSA I don't know if I will make the trip down unless they start announcing some knock my socks off guests.

I had been on the fence about going since Chicago is only 3 weeks later and that is generally where I'm going to spend my money. Skroce would have been my only real draw, and since he was also going to be at Austin I abandoned the idea of getting to SA.

Austin is still a great show that gets bigger every year so far. It will be interesting to see how the weird schedule affects it this year though. That show is a real favorite of mine, and a great way to end my show year (though that'll probably fall to Tulsa this year), so I hope they continue to support that show amidst this (ill-advised) expansion they continue to do.

I don't know the Richmond dates off the top of my head, but Chicago is growing because it is coming up shortly. That's how Wizard rolls. Much of the guest list shows up within a month or two of the show. That's why I'm not too concerned about Austin yet.

Yeah, but with San Antonio being the next Wizard Show up you would think they would show it a little love. So far their are only two artists on the list I am interested in now, one which will be at Cap City, and the other going to WW Austin.

As long as they get their B-C list celebrities on the list in a timely fashion, they can fill in the comic creators whenever they get around to it. (shrug)

I'm really thinking that Wizard has stretched themselves pretty thin with the number of shows they have expanded to. Scheduling a Wisconsin show for February shows a complete lack of forethought and just plain common sense on their part. I won't be the least bit surprised if they start contracting their schedule, or at least shifting cities around, after this year is up. San Antonio would be the perfect February show (as long as it doesn't conflict with Sci-Fi in Dallas), while Madison (if they want to keep one there) would be ideal for August, for example. Maybe they were just dealing with venue availability (because you know there is plenty of open space on venue calendars in Wisconsin in February). Or maybe they're still trying to choke out competing shows like Alamo City, and that explains their scheduling strategy. Either way, they are screwing themselves.

I'm skipping San Antonio to save up money for Alamo City. Going to the Austin show just to see the Celeb Photo Op crew and that's it.

Wizard SA really didn't care about San Antonio this time and the fact that Reedus cancelled affected them, because he is one of their biggest draws.

I'm skipping San Antonio to save up money for Alamo City. Going to the Austin show just to see the Celeb Photo Op crew and that's it.

Wizard SA really didn't care about San Antonio this time and the fact that Reedus cancelled affected them, because he is one of their biggest draws.

I saw that Reedus is charging like $80 now for his autograph?! That seems a little on the high side to me, but maybe it is just me...

San Antonio is not on the 2015 schedule!

Wizard SA really didn't care about San Antonio this time.

hm Looks like Wizard may be phoning this one in, since they already know they're abandoning this market with 5 weeks left until this show. Yet another reason not to bother attending.

Mike Mayhew drops off the list. That does it for me. No Skroce no Mayhew. Think I'll pass on this one.

Are you kidding, but they added Hayes and Nash Grier... whoever the hell those two are...

Wizard World looks like they threw in the towel for San Antonio and said screw it we'll try again somewhere else. The list is getting smaller rather than bigger and it truly is a shame.

They added those Vine kids because Wizard wants crowds. I talk with crew members from the photo op company they use, and when they first got booked, I told them they were not going to be big...they told me those kids had bigger numbers than many others and they brought a bigger crowd than what they expected.

The big names at the show for artists are

Neal Adams - he's everywhere so not a huge deal

Brett Booth

Buzz

Mike Golden - just like Neal

Mike Grell

Paul Hanley

Greg Horn - Everywhere but if you get one of those Legandary Starlord Gamestop variants might be worth your time...

Jorge Molina

Stuart Sayger - probably my only reason to go...

Arthur Suydam - getting to be like Neal and Golden

Billy Tan

Ethan Van Sciver

Chad Townsend

For the most part, all can be found later on either at WW Austin, this weekend at Capital City, probably Dallas Fan Days, or Amazing Houston so if I miss this one I'll be ok with it. Just don't want to miss a Sayger opportunity for myself so will go for at least one day unless CGC needs help with witnesses and then I'll hang out and lend a hand.

I honestly believe Wizard simply said screw it and figured they would cut there losses as they don't even seem to be trying to add anyone else other than more B list actors. For the comic side they gave up I think and this honestly was something I was looking forward to with Skroce originally on the list.