• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wizard World San Antonio -- August 1-3, 2014

86 posts in this topic

So Friday and Saturday so far:

Been assisting at the CGC booth for both days and plan to do the same but to be brutally honest this show is S L O W... if you are looking for back issues some of the regulars are here, always a pleasure with Harley Yee, but for the most part there isn't much out there and seems like a Con they had to cut deals with vendors for.

T-Shirts and such seem to be the big thing, got my daughter a few of those Turtle-Tees which are great for back to school, some stickers for her lunch box, and a belt and some other things. Turned more into a back to school shopping event than a Comic Con.

If I really wanted to I could have had everything signed within the first hour of the show opening on Friday and been out in time to see GotG probably twice. CGC, Britney, Mike, and the Birthday girl... leave that one out there, are always a pleasure to talk to but look like they are on a much needed break from SDCC.

It's bad when your main attraction is three little internet snots. I do have to say for the dealers like Hot-Flips it was probably a good show for them because of those three kids due to selling a bunch of the toploaders to the girl's who bought photo's. Maybe if he wants I can be like the hotdog guy in a stadium and walk back and forth yelling, "Toploaders here, get your 8x10 toploaders here." all while the kiddos swoon over those three.

The best part in my mind though, commissions, a slow show is always the best place to make a commission request for an artist. Just about every artist seems to be needing some requests and even the show favorites seem to be putting in the extra work on them as they just aren't getting the requests like they would like to. Gotta say I have been keeping artists like Stuart Sayger busy, but the rest just seem to be enjoying the relaxation following SDCC.

If your in the area come by the show as its been a pretty slow one with the lower numbers and small showing. To me while it sucks for vendors, artists, and celebs when the crowds are small, its an up in my mind as a conventioner and a guy who loves commissioned art.

Harley Yee and Graham Crackers both did the 2010 (or 2011?) Austin show. I've got photos of their booths from the first Texas show I attended (and am fuzzy on the date pre-coffee). I want to say that High Grade was also at that show, I'd have to go back through my photos. Black Cat is an excellent Texas dealer I'm looking forward to seeing in Dallas next Saturday at the free Fan Appreciation show.

Not disputing your points, I just wanted to note that these dealers have done Austin. It's just that for whatever reason they decided not to come back. It's an incredible shame, because that first Austin show we attended was a great show for comics and I made several good buys. It may be that Texas is too far to travel, or that we don't spend money on books, or both; who knows.

Graham Crackers did last year Austin I want to say but not sure of Harley last year. They both kind of corner the market on your older tiers here. I did see some really good deals though. One guy dropped off a Fantastic Four 48 at a 4.5 - 6 range with a price sticker of $200 and am sure he probably argued down the price a little more.

A lot of blue label books and I do have to say Jorge Molina's con variant is appealing to the eyes. I'll try to take some photos today, but I will post a pretty decent story of my Sayger experience over on the Journal section.

I also think that many of them are tired of the looking crowd which is what a lot of Wizard World shows have become here in Texas. I always try to make at least one big purchase but this show just wasn't one I have been able to find a diamond in the rough for.

I will say that I am looking forward to Alamo City back here in a few.

If Graham did Austin last year he hid pretty well as I don't recall seeing him. There were great booths by Black Cat, Bedrock, and Duncanville, plus a good selection of smaller comic booths I don't remember by name. The comic presence at that show has been shrinking year over year, and I fear that this year's is going to be significantly worse because of the bad scheduling. I know Bedrock isn't doing the show as I asked him. Not sure about others but I'll be chatting up whoever I see in Dallas next Saturday (free admission at the Irving convention center) to see what they're doing. We've already decided not to go to Austin, it's just too far for what is likely to be a dud compared to past years. We are exploring coming to Alamo City, it will just depend on what the weekend (and budget) looks like.

How have I not met you at one of these Kaholo? We need to fix that.

If Graham did Austin last year he hid pretty well as I don't recall seeing him. There were great booths by Black Cat, Bedrock, and Duncanville, plus a good selection of smaller comic booths I don't remember by name. The comic presence at that show has been shrinking year over year, and I fear that this year's is going to be significantly worse because of the bad scheduling. I know Bedrock isn't doing the show as I asked him. Not sure about others but I'll be chatting up whoever I see in Dallas next Saturday (free admission at the Irving convention center) to see what they're doing. We've already decided not to go to Austin, it's just too far for what is likely to be a dud compared to past years. We are exploring coming to Alamo City, it will just depend on what the weekend (and budget) looks like.

I agree, Alamo's 26 - 28 Sep and already looks like they have a great line-up going from Stan the Man, Kevin Eastman, David Finch, and a pretty large following of Celebs. Apple's a really good promoter and seems to be putting in some work to make his show successful.

There's also Mondo Con in Austin but Fan Days Dallas should be a good spot as well. I'll be at NYCC this year as well. Always up to meeting people from on here.

I agree, Alamo's 26 - 28 Sep and already looks like they have a great line-up going from Stan the Man, Kevin Eastman, David Finch, and a pretty large following of Celebs. Apple's a really good promoter and seems to be putting in some work to make his show successful.

There's also Mondo Con in Austin but Fan Days Dallas should be a good spot as well. I'll be at NYCC this year as well. Always up to meeting people from on here.

I think we are about 60/40 in favor of going to Alamo City but its far from decided. We will have a booth at Fan Days so that's a definite. No NYCC for me, Chicago is my big show for the year and I can't wait. We may make the trip to Tulsa too, depending on how things are going.