• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wizard World San Antonio -- August 1-3, 2014

86 posts in this topic

Wizard World's issue with me is how much the upcharge is for everything. I mean right now I had to pay $500 for a VIP ticket for Stan Lee which is almost $200 more than I paid last year for the same ticket. Aside from a few small perks i'm not getting anything gigantic out of the deal compared to the last one so why the huge leap in cost.

I do enjoy myself at Wizard World but also wished they would drop the act of still trying to label themselves Comic Con's and call themselves what they are. A Pop Culture Con or something to that effect. They spend more on the celeb's to attend and seem to always pander to them more when it comes to the overall vibe once inside. My biggest upside right now for why I am attending WWAustin this year again is for Stan Lee, Neal Adams, Dennis O'Neil, and Greg Capullo. If the first three didn't attend I probably would have thrown in the towel for it.

I just hope that with the Con's of WW San Antonio and WW Austin being so close that there isn't a huge amount of overlap for artists. For now though I am happy that there are a few alternatives in Texas with Dallas Fan Days twice a year, Alamo City which looks like it has some great artists as well as good celeb's, and next years Capital City in Austin.

Plus Comicpalooza in Houston.

I don't expect a big difference in the guest list. When names commit to wizard shows their contracts call for multiple dates. At least that is what a couple of name artists have told me.

San Antonio in August?

7f8.gif

If it is any consolation, the weather may not be that much nicer in September. Either way San Antonio is a great city to visit, so I'd recommend it just on that if you've never been. I'm just not that enthusiastic about the WW lineup and heard good things about the Alamo City show last year. I may not make it to either show, it will depend on timing with everything else going on.

As of right now I wanted to go to this SA show just to see the the staff and the Celeb Photo Ops crew (they're big friends) but the lineup is just boring. Doesn't make the 2 hour drive a worthy one.

Alamo City is definitely getting my money this year, loving their lineup and they are getting more space this time.

With CGC on site at WWSA, how can one go about getting a mod to witness a sig?

Thanks in advance

I don't know why you want a 'mod', but you can go to the CGC booth, and ask for a witness to follow you to the signer to watch your book get signed.

It's amazing that Chicago and even Richmond are both getting better while Austin and San Antonio are both getting more and more mediocre and even cutting more. The way it looks right now I'll be skipping both Wizard's to up my budget for Cap City, Alamo City and the Amazing Houston in August. With roughly 35 days until WWSA I don't know if I will make the trip down unless they start announcing some knock my socks off guests.

It's amazing that Chicago and even Richmond are both getting better while Austin and San Antonio are both getting more and more mediocre and even cutting more. The way it looks right now I'll be skipping both Wizard's to up my budget for Cap City, Alamo City and the Amazing Houston in August. With roughly 35 days until WWSA I don't know if I will make the trip down unless they start announcing some knock my socks off guests.

I had been on the fence about going since Chicago is only 3 weeks later and that is generally where I'm going to spend my money. Skroce would have been my only real draw, and since he was also going to be at Austin I abandoned the idea of getting to SA.

Austin is still a great show that gets bigger every year so far. It will be interesting to see how the weird schedule affects it this year though. That show is a real favorite of mine, and a great way to end my show year (though that'll probably fall to Tulsa this year), so I hope they continue to support that show amidst this (ill-advised) expansion they continue to do.

I don't know the Richmond dates off the top of my head, but Chicago is growing because it is coming up shortly. That's how Wizard rolls. Much of the guest list shows up within a month or two of the show. That's why I'm not too concerned about Austin yet.