• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wizard World San Antonio -- August 1-3, 2014

86 posts in this topic

Yeah, boring indeed. They definitely gave up on this one.

I just don't get it at all, they have a good solid date albeit they chose the summer in Texas, a good location, and yet decided to throw in the towel and put all there eggs in the next show WW Chicago. I mean that list is huge and has some killer names. But San Antonio, a huge city which showed with Alamo City they do have a large Con crowd who wants a good show and they are cutting more names than adding. (shrug). I just don't get the business plan of saying screw it... Onto the next show.

I'm bummed about Skroce too, but more so that he cancelled for Austin (I'm going to that show regardless). Cancellations are a risk for any show, but any way you slice it this is a weak guest list. Sadly they'll probably make a ton of money off the VIP only "social media celebs" and we will see that model on future shows. At least it is unlikely that they'll ever use it on the comic guests...

I hope the con is well attended so they do it again next year but I hope you comic guys aren't there to fight with me for books.

I hope the con is well attended so they do it again next year but I hope you comic guys aren't there to fight with me for books.

They've already released their 2015 schedule and San Antonio is not on it. Barring some late addition because attendance blows their doors off or something the fine people of San Antonio will have to make do with Alamo City and/or driving to Dallas or Austin.

I'll be attending this one for a day (Saturday) if only to pickup two commissions (SAYGER) woooohoooo!!!!! and one other but if you want anything signed and directly submitted to CGC for you let me know through PM. The guest list is honestly pretty weak even for a Wizard World and I just noticed Grell jumped ship on this one as well so not holding my breath for a large push but there are still a few good ones on the list.

Sayger is sticking to this one and the biggest reason I am going, Brett Booth is always amazing, Jorge Molina, Greg Horn (If you were able to acquire a Starlord from Gamestop might by a good opportunity to get it signed), EVS has been killing it lately with commissions and his Forever Evil covers, Billy Tan for you X-23 fans, and the usual Adams and Suydam appearance.

No one of oh my god status as far as Celebs but for me the opportunity to finally get a Sayger Cable was just to good to pass this one up. Also have friends in the area and maybe if Sayger isn't doing anything that night see if he wants to get drunk Saturday and show up hungover on Sunday.... Kinda glad I held out buying the VIP pass for this one as I was about one finger click away from hitting submit a few months back.

If they have really cheap tickets on groupon I'll go.

Oh they always do that dont they?

Do any of you know if I buy the tickets on Groupon if I can use that as a pass for any of the days I go? Or is it on Fridays only?

I'll be attending this one for a day (Saturday) if only to pickup two commissions (SAYGER) woooohoooo!!!!! and one other but if you want anything signed and directly submitted to CGC for you let me know through PM. The guest list is honestly pretty weak even for a Wizard World and I just noticed Grell jumped ship on this one as well so not holding my breath for a large push but there are still a few good ones on the list.

That's because Grell is coming to Tampa Bay Comic Con! ;)

Come to Tampa this weekend and see Grell.

The coolest man on the planet will be in San Antonio this weekend.

The coolest man on the planet will be in San Antonio this weekend.

We already established I would be there.

A few things stuck out besides meeting a few boardies. Some unenthusiastic dealers who seemed disinterested in answering questions. The high pitched squeels coming every five minutes or so from the autograph section and that Beer is sold and allowed in the dealers area. Found some cool books but I am one and done.

A few things stuck out besides meeting a few boardies. Some unenthusiastic dealers who seemed disinterested in answering questions. The high pitched squeels coming every five minutes or so from the autograph section and that Beer is sold and allowed in the dealers area. Found some cool books but I am one and done.

Yeah, not sorry I declined to make the ~7 hour drive to get there for that.

Harley Yee was there with some well priced stock, I saw him doing a good amount of business. Bought a brave and the bold 57 from him.

I bought a couple modern slabs from Kristina's collectibles.

High grade comics, black cat comics, and graham cracker comics were all there as well.

Harley Yee was there with some well priced stock, I saw him doing a good amount of business. Bought a brave and the bold 57 from him.

I bought a couple modern slabs from Kristina's collectibles.

High grade comics, black cat comics, and graham cracker comics were all there as well.

I went out there Friday with my daughter & it was pretty disappointing. There weren't much more than 10-12 dealers with any type of decent stock. The usual artists & then a ton of flea market type vendors with various toys/t-shirts/etc. In and out in a title over 2 hours.

Sounds like a few of the national dealers stopped through on their way back from San Diego, which may have been part of the reasoning on the dates.

The last wizard show in Austin didn't get a well known dealer list nearly that long.