• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Spawn or Deadpool who is the king of the 1990s for new character?

188 posts in this topic

Source is Comichron. I'm working with available sources. I noted that the reporting system was flawed, but it's a start. At least I'm providing numbers.

Sales is only one factor that determines dominance. But I think I've provided enough points for my argument.

In fact, you agree with my main point.

Todd did some interior work on issues 195, 196, 200...but like I said, mainly cover art.

All of this information is widely available.

And yeah...Maxx had an MTV cartoon. But no multi-million dollar movie...and no back-to-back Emmy awards either. So not quite in the same league. Someone mentioned Hellboy? Well, if you judge box office/budget ratio - Spawn is the more successful film by 21%...yes, I did the math.

And not every other Spawn title has gone down the tubes.

The Curse of Spawn sold huge...then you had the Impaler and Dark Ages. Both titles were also successful and were among the most popular selling books of their time.

Is Spawn #1 the first appearance book that sold the most copies ever? I can't think of another book that did Spawn 1 type numbers that was a first appearance.

No...Adventures of Superman #500 featured the first appearance of both Steel and Cyborg Superman, and sold about twice as many copies.

Is Spawn #1 the first appearance book that sold the most copies ever? I can't think of another book that did Spawn 1 type numbers that was a first appearance.

As RMA already noted in this thread, Adventures of Superman 500 sold more than Spawn 1.

EDIT: Grab a snack while reading a thread and look what happens. doh!

Edited by Lazyboy

No...Adventures of Superman #500 featured the first appearance of both Steel and Cyborg Superman, and sold about twice as many copies.

That would be Superboy (Kon-el/Connor Kent) and Steel (John Henry Irons) as well as the first appearance of the Eradicator as a humanoid and the first Hank Henshaw as the Cyborg Superman.

I love Todd McFarlane's art. Even the ultra-angular, flat faced Spawn stuff.

Does that count?

Yeah :)

I prove your point, because Spawn is one of my most favorite... because of the McFarlane art. I couldn't tell you much about the story past issue something teen.

That would be Superboy (Kon-el/Connor Kent)

Him, too.

Spawn 1 was the highest of all the Image #1's though right? Youngblood and Wildcats had to be pretty high as well.

Youngblood was the record at the time, broken by Spawn a little bit later.

Wildcats did well, more than Youngblood, but not as much as Spawn.

Not that Jim Lee had anything to worry about...X-Men #1 will be a record probably forever.

And...really, how long does Image need to be around for it to not be called "Independent" anymore? It's been 22 years.

What's "Independent" anyways? "Not Marvel or DC"? Marvel and DC were both "Independents" at one point, too.

I think it's long past time to call Image or Dark Horse "Independents" anymore.

Source is Comichron. I'm working with available sources. I noted that the reporting system was flawed, but it's a start. At least I'm providing numbers.

Unless you worked at Image during the time, those are pretty much the only numbers that exist. The only other print source would be Wizard, who reported Diamond's numbers around 1992-1995.

The point, however, is that the numbers don't tell the whole story, so it's hard to say "FACT" when you're not even dealing with everything, no....?

Sales is only one factor that determines dominance. But I think I've provided enough points for my argument.

In fact, you agree with my main point.

I never didn't. I think you were just offended that I said Spawn is terrible. Any rational analysis will come to the same conclusion. :whee:

Todd did some interior work on issues 195, 196, 200...but like I said, mainly cover art.

So, in other words...no, he HAS NOT returned to Spawn for the last 50 issues, as you stated earlier.

People want Todd McFarlane to DRAW. Not write. Not ink. Not do just covers. Not do "some interior work." DRAW.

All of this information is widely available.

...and....?

You're just being ornery. lol

And yeah...Maxx had an MTV cartoon. But no multi-million dollar movie...and no back-to-back Emmy awards either. So not quite in the same league. Someone mentioned Hellboy? Well, if you judge box office/budget ratio - Spawn is the more successful film by 21%...yes, I did the math.

And not every other Spawn title has gone down the tubes.

The Curse of Spawn sold huge...then you had the Impaler and Dark Ages. Both titles were also successful and were among the most popular selling books of their time.

...oh, I wasn't aware those title were still being published. What are they, around issue 200 by now......?

hm

Amadeus...I've appreciated the discussion. It's been fun. Thanks for all the counterpoints you've offered. (thumbs u

Amadeus...I've appreciated the discussion. It's been fun. Thanks for all the counterpoints you've offered. (thumbs u

hm

You're not done, are you? :(

I've been enjoying it, too. ;) You made a very solid argument for Spawn.

Don't take my sarcasm personally. I gave you a hard time, but not out of mean-spiritedness.

:cloud9:

hm

You're not done, are you? :(

I've been enjoying it, too. ;) You made a very solid argument for Spawn.

Don't take my sarcasm personally. I gave you a hard time, but not out of mean-spiritedness.

:cloud9:

Yes, I'm done. :)

I definitely didn't take anything personally. My career has given me super thick skin over the years. Like I said, I've enjoyed the discussion and the opportunity to make my case.

:foryou:

Well...that's that, then.

Discussion over.

I guess the mods might lock the thread at this point...not making the suggestion or anything, just verbalizing out loud what might be on their minds....me, personally, I wouldn't lock it, or suggest it. I wouldn't want to be the cause for any locking of a thread or anything.....

:whistle:

I remember Spawn had a countdown that sped up whenever he used his powers back in the day.

Did they write that out of the storyline?

I'm guessing they had too, but I always thought that was a cool element to the plot.

You mean this?

992040-iu_spawnmeterteaser_2_.jpg

So they just found a way around it.

Figured.

Discussion over.

I guess the mods might lock the thread at this point...not making the suggestion or anything, just verbalizing out loud what might be on their minds....me, personally, I wouldn't lock it, or suggest it. I wouldn't want to be the cause for any locking of a thread or anything.....

Spawn the character did show what great potential he has

with the mainstream by winning an Emmy for best animated series. Now that`something Deadpool can`t say. An Emmy. When is the last time something from the superhero world can say that?

Here is an example of the Emmy award winning Spawn. :)

Discussion over.

with the mainstream by winning an Emmy for best animated series. Now that`something Deadpool can`t say. An Emmy. When is the last time something from the superhero world can say that?

Couple of caveats...

First, the award was for "Outstanding Animated Program (for Programming One Hour or More)"...which means it wasn't up against the Simpsons, Family Guy, South Park, King of the Hill, or any of those other powerhouses.

Second, the award was given only twice in the 1990's...1991 to TaleSpin, and in 1999 to Spawn.

Third, there was only one other nomination that year: "Our Friend, Martin", a cartoon about the life of MLK Jr.

Fourth, Batman: TAS was nominated twice (1993, 1994), in a far, far more crowded field.

I mean, kudos to the Emmy, but...really....?

:shrug:

I remember Spawn had a countdown that sped up whenever he used his powers back in the day.

I'm guessing they had too, but I always thought that was a cool element to the plot.

You mean this?

Figured.

The power meter was the only thing that made it interesting. Gave it a finite time table and should have meant that he had to be more resourceful in certain situations.

On the flip side, how would he actually know he was near depletion? A new ability to see invisible power meters? Felt a bit more tired each time?

Patrick

Discussion over.

Couple of caveats...

First, the award was for "Outstanding Animated Program (for Programming One Hour or More)"...which means it wasn't up against the Simpsons, Family Guy, South Park, King of the Hill, or any of those other powerhouses.

Second, the award was given only twice in the 1990's...1991 to TaleSpin, and in 1999 to Spawn.

Third, there was only one other nomination that year: "Our Friend, Martin", a cartoon about the life of MLK Jr.

Fourth, Batman: TAS was nominated twice (1993, 1994), in a far, far more crowded field.

I mean, kudos to the Emmy, but...really....?

:shrug:

Good points. I was just trying to show this character does have enormous potential with the Emmy being brought up. Spawn did have at one time in the 1990s have comics that sold in millions, a award winning TV animated show, top selling video games, top selling action figures and a Hollywood movie. So in that time there must have been something special that those audiences seen in Spawn that they liked. One of my angles for all this is that same audience is about to get nostalgic again for Spawn creating a revival.

Similar to how certain characters from the 1980s are experiencing a revival.

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

You mean this?

Figured.

The power meter was the only thing that made it interesting. Gave it a finite time table and should have meant that he had to be more resourceful in certain situations.

On the flip side, how would he actually know he was near depletion? A new ability to see invisible power meters? Felt a bit more tired each time?

Patrick

I can't remember, as it has been decades since I read Spawn, but I thought he was aware of the countdown meter in some way.