• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Spawn or Deadpool who is the king of the 1990s for new character?

188 posts in this topic

I can't even get 5 bucks for my vf spawn 1. Spawn comics except for rare variants have been in serious decline. 1 dollar tops most issues.

That's funny. I've seen the opposite. And I don't know what kind of profit you would seek from a VF comic with a print run of over one and a half million copies. (shrug)

9.8s routinely sell for $100 and 9.9s are topping out at ten times that amount.

I should also mention that I will pay up to $300 for some of those issues (not rare variants) in 9.8 condition. :devil:

Got issues 26, 64, 135, 152, 156, 182, 203, or 212?

Contact me to cash in. Those of you with these "worthless" issues need to call me.

I can't even get 5 bucks for my vf spawn 1. Spawn comics except for rare variants have been in serious decline. 1 dollar tops most issues.
If your Spawn #1 has a barcode on the cover, you can get $5. lol

For the past three years I have been getting the following prices for Spawn #1 - $10 for VG to FN, $15 for VFs, $20 for VF/NM, and $25 for NM- and up. They sell very well at the local shows. (thumbs u

For the past three years I have been getting the following prices for Spawn #1 - $10 for VG to FN, $15 for VFs, $20 for VF/NM, and $25 for NM- and up. They sell very well at the local shows. (thumbs u

Those are direct editions, I assume... and those are sweet prices. :applause:

Yes, those are direct editions.

If any boardies have a stack of direct Spawn #1s in VF/NM or better that they would like to part with at $5 apiece drop me a pm. (thumbs u

I only have a dozen or so copies left and have had to start rationing how many I take to each show. :eek:

Edited by kimik

If any boardies have a stack of direct Spawn #1s in VF/NM or better that they would like to part with at $5 apiece drop me a pm. (thumbs u

I only have a dozen or so copies left and have had to start rationing how many I take to each show. :eek:

Do you ever run across the newsstands, and if so, how do you price them?

Do you ever run across the newsstands, and if so, how do you price them?

They are tougher to find, but I have a few copies stashed away (along with newsstands of some other early issues). I am not selling them yet. (thumbs u

So does anyone care about Malibu Sun 13? I'm truly clueless, not making a comment on the book. I'm making a trade with a guy who has two copies. Should I look to get one?

Malibu Sun 13 and Rust are both books that advertise Spawn early, and because there aren't 1.5million copies, they cost more than Spawn #1.

Neither book is the first appearance, though. They're just "ultrasounds" that give us a preview. Spawn #1 is the birthday.

So does anyone care about Malibu Sun 13? I'm truly clueless, not making a comment on the book. I'm making a trade with a guy who has two copies. Should I look to get one?

I'm a Spawn fan...I love that book. Not sure how those that didn't participate in the birth of Image Comics feel about it, but it holds a lot of nostalgia for me. So yes, I would trade for two copies if I were you...

They seem to sell pretty routinely now in the $12-$15 range plus shipping, so $20-25 for a live sale (particularly in Canada) of a NM copy seems to make sense. I need to get my stack out.

And frankly, what was that book ever selling for? When I started going to shows again in 1993 I remember people selling stacks and it was definitely less than $5 a copy. Had it been more earlier in the year? Seems like it was a really popular book then.

And frankly, what was that book ever selling for? When I started going to shows again in 1993 I remember people selling stacks and it was definitely less than $5 a copy. Had it been more earlier in the year? Seems like it was a really popular book then.

I'm a firm believer that the market "values" things as a whole, whether it realizes it or not.

$5 for Spawn #1, which had 1.5million copies is $7.5million total.

For another comic, say, Harbinger #1 which had about 50,000 copies, you'd only get near $7.5million if those 50,000 were $150 each.

They are. :grin:

I'm a Spawn fan...I love that book. Not sure how those that didn't participate in the birth of Image Comics feel about it, but it holds a lot of nostalgia for me. So yes, I would trade for two copies if I were you...

Thx! Wasn't sure of true Spawn fans' views on it.

I'm a firm believer that the market "values" things as a whole, whether it realizes it or not.

For another comic, say, Harbinger #1 which had about 50,000 copies, you'd only get near $7.5million if those 50,000 were $150 each.

the sales prices on Spawn 1 are indeed perplexing as it is a book that sells what, 25K a month? it's not like thousands of new spawn fans are joining up every month. although my 11 year old is aware of spawn and I'm not sure why, is there internet stuff on spawn? the movie was terrible and that late night cartoon was a little disturbing.

then again, Rai 0 also sells pretty well and while not 1.5 million, it had a chunky print-run as well

I have serious doubts that there are 50,000 people willing to pay $150 for even a high grade Harbinger 1. It's hard to get a good sense of how many comic collectors/readers there are out there as it is though. I wonder how many people in the U.S. average spending $15 a month on comics, new or old? I would put that number lower for a kid though, $15 may be a lot.

Anyway, there is a lot of action on spawn beyond the #1, lots of the later issues do well. I am trying to put together a set, although it has been harder because my LCS has been ordering for the rack very carefully and I have not been getting overstock copies lately. The irony is that I got a lot of those homage covers a few years ago that do sell alright, but he overordered them and dumped them in the dollar box...i swooped in!

And do you think you could find 1.5m real people who wanted to pay 5 bucks, right now, for spawn 1? No chance. We wouldn't find a pool to sell all copies at fmv to.. for any book.. and it doesn't matter either, because it's effectively impossible for all copies to be on the market at the same time anyways

There are no "real people" to find in this equation. The books are already distributed. That's over.

Wherever they are, whenever they come to market, it's the concept that "all of them" (out there) have a collective market value for Spawn #1 that is pretty close to the collective market value of Harbinger #1, wherever they are.

All shares of a stock don't have to trade for the market capitalization (collective value) to have meaning. In fact, it's usually trades of less than 0.0001% that set the market price for the other 99.9999%. All other shares stay wherever they are, but the calculation works.

Books like Malibu Sun #13 and Rust #1 don't come close to having any meaning to the collective market.

Individual copies have value because there aren't a ton of them... but the market as a whole doesn't care about those books.

If there were 1.5million copies, they'd be 25cents each... and Spawn #1 would be 20+ times more valuable (even at $5).

it's the concept that "all of them" (out there) have a collective market value for Spawn #1 that is pretty close to the collective market value of Harbinger #1, wherever they are.

Sorry. That's a very dubious claim.

No one outside the comic collecting world cares about Harbinger. I know it's forever ago, but as I've mentioned before, Spawn was mega-huge in the 90s and invaded every aspect of culture. The character was even on the Sopranoes for heaven sake. lol

So yes, I see your theory...and high grade copies of Harbinger may be more valuable per capita, but they aren't going to move in sheer numbers like Spawn 1. I understand your formula, but I think it's flawed. :sorry: