• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Spawn or Deadpool who is the king of the 1990s for new character?

188 posts in this topic

Digging this out of the back pages.

Death of Deadpool in coming + new spawn writer finally (hope Todd can keep his hands off, which seems to be the case going in), are the tables turning again?

there's been a big up tick in spawn back issues lately as well. and anything past 130 is becoming increasingly hard to find. While the market is saturated with Deadpool everything.

Maybe I'm being optimistic as long time reader and collector Spawn, and hopeful that Spawn will be relevant again.

I want to wear my damn Spawn T-Shirt again... ok i wear ti tot he gym but still.

Edited by Hurtszick

Interesting side note:

McFarlane was at Image Expo on Thursday, and brought the original Steacy painting to Spawn #1, all framed and matted, very nice.

During the signing, someone bumped the table it was on (may have been Todd, or anybody) and it crashed to the floor, smashing the glass in the frame to smithereens.

The painting didn't look like it was damaged *too* badly, but it didn't escape unscathed, either.

Interesting side note:

McFarlane was at Image Expo on Thursday, and brought the original Steacy painting to Spawn #1, all framed and matted, very nice.

During the signing, someone bumped the table it was on (may have been Todd, or anybody) and it crashed to the floor, smashing the glass in the frame to smithereens.

The painting didn't look like it was damaged *too* badly, but it didn't escape unscathed, either.

:o

Spawn had a big following for a while (was mega huge out of the gate) but died quickly. It didn't seem to have much that was compelling about the character to really hold peoples interest for more than a few years after the comic started. It was really all about the artwork, the marketing, cool poses, the flowing cape and the toys.

Deadpool has gone the other way, started out semi slow, and just continued to get bigger and better.

Deadpool is a megastar and Spawn is a relic from the 90's. The 90's poster boy for all image no substance. BTW I like Todd Mcfarlane's art, just not his story telling abilities.

Edited by Rip

Sort of like Bugs Bunny and the Tortoise

Modern Design "Streamlined Chassis"

Anyone see Bugs Bunny as the grandfather of irreverent humor in cartoony/comic popculture?

Check out the last 10 seconds of this clip with the 4 in 1 suicide shot. You don't see that on TV anymore. I think I saw that in the Deadpool movie, no?

OK a stretch but still...

https://youtu.be/3AeHdKJUKEU

Sort of like Bugs Bunny and the Tortoise

Modern Design "Streamlined Chassis"

Anyone see Bugs Bunny as the grandfather of irreverent humor in cartoony/comic popculture?

Check out the last 10 seconds of this clip with the 4 in 1 suicide shot. You don't see that on TV anymore. I think I saw that in the Deadpool movie, no?

OK a stretch but still...

https://youtu.be/3AeHdKJUKEU

No stretch....I've been saying for a while that Deadpool is basically Daffy Duck in the Marvel Universe. He breaks the fourth wall, gets killed and bounces back, and hops around being a smart aleck. Just missing black feathers.