• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Was a neutral appropriate?

177 posts in this topic

:)

I, for one, can't wait until the next eBay complaint thread.

We just don't get enough of those around here.

lol

This is all CG has left as it dies and withers on it's own pathetic and boring vine.

OP, the real issue here is what DSRs you left the seller, not the neutral. I didn't read that here, unless I missed it somewhere.

Negs/Neuts do not get sellers thrown off ebay or cause them to lose TRS Plus status (which could end their business also).... star dings do.

A buyer may be hurting himself and the entire collecting community by leaving less than 5 stars. You have to ask yourself, do I want to cut my own nose off to spite my face.......... and that of other collectors as well?

Was this seller a scammer, DD, Ewert, PGX Daniel, etc, etc, type of person?

I agree the shipping delay and offensive email was unprofessional. But do you want this seller thrown off ebay where no one can ever buy from him again? That is the real question here.

So I ask you... what DSRs did you leave the seller?

To be honest I didn't give the stars nearly as much consideration as the neutral. I left mediocre stars, two I think, for shipping and dinged one for communication.

That is far worse damage than the neutral you left. Ebay goes by star ratings. They just culled 15,000 sellers. Many of those sellers had average ratings as high as 4.7. So you can see what kind of damage leaving even a 4 out of 5 can do to a seller. Especially a small seller that does not get tons of other DSR ratings to offset anything less than a 5. (Those star ratings are not anonymous by the way. A seller can see everything a buyer rated them simply by running a 30 second report.)

The fact that you left your seller a "2" is a death blow. "1"s and "2"s are factored into the "low DSR" seller report card. If a seller has more than 0.5% low DSRs (1s and 2s), they will lose TRS status. (It only takers a couple bad ones to eliminate a small seller.) They will be on ebay's radar and probably get their account restricted sooner, rather than later.

Knowing this, I would have left no FB at all for the seller. No pos/neut/neg rating and no star ratings. The seller is not a scammer, just not too great with customer service and communication (ok he's a pinhead, but not a DD) Being a comic collector, I would like to leave the door open for myself (and other collectors), to buy something from him in the future, if he had a great deal on a book I wanted. I wouldn't mind the delay. I would just take it in stride as long as I received what I paid for. You've effectively closed that door for yourself, and most likely, other collectors in the future.

I just don't cut my nose off to spite my own face, just because a seller took 11 days to get my comic to me, instead of the stated 5 days, or whatever it was.

Just my 2c

What can you possibly buy from the guy that you couldn't get anywhere else?

If you can't follow eBay's guidelines, you're going to get the FB you deserve.

If the seller made an honest mistake and COMMUNICATED it to the buyer, that'd be one thing. But from what the seller said, he simply thought it was ok to wait two weeks to ship the thing, despite listing 2 days as his shipping time.

The idea that he might have something you want in the future, so go ahead and take whatever behavior he'll throw at you, is just bizarre to me.

The sellers whole attitude in regards to timeliness, having to 'ship in a box' (wha?), poor communication, and response tells me he's a likely candidate for worse behavior down the road.

What could he possibly have that I couldn't go to someone else for?

This.

It seems pretty simple tome.

OP, the real issue here is what DSRs you left the seller, not the neutral. I didn't read that here, unless I missed it somewhere.

Negs/Neuts do not get sellers thrown off ebay or cause them to lose TRS Plus status (which could end their business also).... star dings do.

A buyer may be hurting himself and the entire collecting community by leaving less than 5 stars. You have to ask yourself, do I want to cut my own nose off to spite my face.......... and that of other collectors as well?

Was this seller a scammer, DD, Ewert, PGX Daniel, etc, etc, type of person?

I agree the shipping delay and offensive email was unprofessional. But do you want this seller thrown off ebay where no one can ever buy from him again? That is the real question here.

So I ask you... what DSRs did you leave the seller?

To be honest I didn't give the stars nearly as much consideration as the neutral. I left mediocre stars, two I think, for shipping and dinged one for communication.

That is far worse damage than the neutral you left. Ebay goes by star ratings. They just culled 15,000 sellers. Many of those sellers had average ratings as high as 4.7. So you can see what kind of damage leaving even a 4 out of 5 can do to a seller. Especially a small seller that does not get tons of other DSR ratings to offset anything less than a 5. (Those star ratings are not anonymous by the way. A seller can see everything a buyer rated them simply by running a 30 second report.)

The fact that you left your seller a "2" is a death blow. "1"s and "2"s are factored into the "low DSR" seller report card. If a seller has more than 0.5% low DSRs (1s and 2s), they will lose TRS status. (It only takers a couple bad ones to eliminate a small seller.) They will be on ebay's radar and probably get their account restricted sooner, rather than later.

Knowing this, I would have left no FB at all for the seller. No pos/neut/neg rating and no star ratings. The seller is not a scammer, just not too great with customer service and communication (ok he's a pinhead, but not a DD) Being a comic collector, I would like to leave the door open for myself (and other collectors), to buy something from him in the future, if he had a great deal on a book I wanted. I wouldn't mind the delay. I would just take it in stride as long as I received what I paid for. You've effectively closed that door for yourself, and most likely, other collectors in the future.

I just don't cut my nose off to spite my own face, just because a seller took 11 days to get my comic to me, instead of the stated 5 days, or whatever it was.

Just my 2c

What can you possibly buy from the guy that you couldn't get anywhere else?

If you can't follow eBay's guidelines, you're going to get the FB you deserve.

If the seller made an honest mistake and COMMUNICATED it to the buyer, that'd be one thing. But from what the seller said, he simply thought it was ok to wait two weeks to ship the thing, despite listing 2 days as his shipping time.

The idea that he might have something you want in the future, so go ahead and take whatever behavior he'll throw at you, is just bizarre to me.

The sellers whole attitude in regards to timeliness, having to 'ship in a box' (wha?), poor communication, and response tells me he's a likely candidate for worse behavior down the road.

What could he possibly have that I couldn't go to someone else for?

:applause:

For the emboldened part: :applause::applause::applause:

-slym

When in reality getting a high grade comic accurately graded off eBay IS exceptional. eBay should drop the "very" from all the 5 star ratings. I think it encourages buyers to expect to routinely receive more than what was agreed too.

+ 1

I always thought Ebay made it tricky for a seller to succeed with that DSR rating system. Especially when I became a power seller, and found out a 4 could be deadly over time since some of criteria expectations were a 4.7 in the different categories - not a 4.0 or better.

If I were buying comics from eBay (especially $500 books), I would be more concerned with getting what I ordered and in the condition described.

Did you read this part

Overcharged on shipping and seemed annoyed when I asked for it to be box shipped even though it was a $500 book.

What is your ebay handle mark ? :popcorn:

I read it and I didn't say what the seller did was right. I said I wouldn't leave a neutral.

I guess the question is, would you have come to CG and started a thread bashing the seller by name to the ends of the earth. hm

No I wouldn't post a thread about waiting 2 weeks for an ebay sale, but I'm not really sure what you are referring to. Do you mean the OP or something I did in the past? (shrug)

I remember some threads you started complaining about customer service from sellers, at shows, etc. If I remember right they weren't on the same level as someone taking $500 of your cash and not delivering items in the time promised and then swearing at you for complaining.

Apples and oranges.

That incident (which is long since over and worked out with the dealer) was about me driving 75 miles when I was told I could return an item and then the dealer not showing up to the show.

Not a close comparison.

You're right. It's not a close comparison.

Your situation was 75 miles...2 hours of your time taken... versus the OP being ignored and worrying about his book from a rude seller and having 2 weeks of his time taken.

So it's not close. That's correct.

I'd be more pissed over drivng the 75 miles. That sucks

I think the sellers big mistake is not knowing his consumer base better. There are certain expectations for any book, but a $500 book comes with a whole set of rules. He should have done better, and his response was the nail in the coffin. Any chance of retraction in my opinion was lost when he responded like that.

He's lucky you haven't shared his handle or else business would be even more impacted.

I, for one, can't wait until the next eBay complaint thread.

We just don't get enough of those around here.

lol

This is all CG has left as it dies and withers on it's own pathetic and boring vine.

We need a good, old fashioned pressing thread. :cloud9:

I haven't read the entire thread, but personally I would leave a positive, based on receiving a $500 book in the condition described, but would ding the Shipping time and Communication DSRs appropriately. That's what they're there for.

If I were going to leave a neutral or neg, I'd email the seller first and voice my complaints, then leave feedback as I deem appropriate, based on the seller's reply.

That said, the seller's response to your neutral proved he is a dbag, so I'd let it stand.

I haven't read the entire thread, but personally I would leave a positive, based on receiving a $500 book in the condition described, but would ding the Shipping time and Communication DSRs appropriately. That's what they're there for.

If I were going to leave a neutral or neg, I'd email the seller first and voice my complaints, then leave feedback as I deem appropriate, based on the seller's reply.

That said, the seller's response to your neutral proved he is a dbag, so I'd let it stand.

Well said

When in reality getting a high grade comic accurately graded off eBay IS exceptional. eBay should drop the "very" from all the 5 star ratings. I think it encourages buyers to expect to routinely receive more than what was agreed too.

+ 1

I always thought Ebay made it tricky for a seller to succeed with that DSR rating system. Especially when I became a power seller, and found out a 4 could be deadly over time since some of criteria expectations were a 4.7 in the different categories - not a 4.0 or better.

This is true, I got a 4 for shipping, when the person paid on a Sat night and I shipped Monday morning. I guess they forgot the PO was closed on Sun. It bothered me for a few hours.

The DSRs are tough to maintain.

I've also had a few sellers who felt it was too troublesome to send back cover scans, or full scans when the whole picture does not show. I just skip their sales, there are always more books.

Doesn't ebays system prompt you to contact the seller before leaving negative feedback

If not they should for both neutral and negative feedback

Well said

Buyers that do that are referred to as "stealth dingers". A buyer that leaves positive FB along with low DSRs can be reported by the seller. Ebay will probably scrub the entire FB and DSRs left by the buyer. Ebay will also consider eliminating the buyer from the Buyer Protection Program and/or terminating the buyer's account altogether. There are many buyers that posted this happening to them on the "Buyer Central" ebay forum. I think I also read about it in one of the many ebay updates to the user agreement.

The whole FB/DSR system on ebay is terribly flawed. Many buyers and sellers don't even bother to participate in it anymore. Another reason why I wouldn't have bothered to leave the OP's seller any FB. I have more important things to worry about then some seller lying to me about shipping dates and it taking an extra week for a comic book to get to me. If I received what I ordered a week past due, then I'm satisfied. Not happy, but satisfied. Maybe I've gotten too old and still remember how how mail order used to take 8-12 weeks for arrival. Or maybe I've just realized life is too short to waste time worrying about a comic book arriving in 11 days instead of 5 days.

I sure wouldn't try to put him out of business. That's not good for the overall economy in the long run. If CGC were doing business on ebay, they would be shut down in a matter of weeks if all it took were a couple buyers leaving low DSRs because they "lied about shipping dates" when you purchased their product. :shy:

Seller took 11 days to ship and didn't tell me it would take that long. After waiting a week I enquired, they told me it would ship that day and then did not ship for another four days. Curt replies and usually took over a day to respond. Overcharged on shipping and seemed annoyed when I asked for it to be box shipped even though it was a $500 book.

I left a neutral and got this reply:

WHATS THE PROBLEM? YOU GOT YOUR BOOK! I TOLD YOU IT WOULD BE A LITTLE SLOW BECAUSE OUR CREW WAS ON VACATION! ITS SUMMER TIME AND THE WORLD GOES AWAY! IT WAS PACKED SO WELL WITH EXTRA BUBBLE! IT GOT TO YOU SAFE WITH NO PROBLEMS, YET THAT WAS NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR YOU! EVEN DEALING WITH US YOU SEND ME A TON OF EMAILS BOTHERING US! YOU ARE ONE OF THOSE FUC**N JERK OFF'S THAT IS NEVER HAPPY. EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They absolutely did not tell me it would take a while to ship. All they said was that they couldn't provide extra scans of another book as the guy who does them was on vacation.

I think if you left a neutral over such a small thing, his reply was appropriate. If I sold on eBay, I would block you too.

The guy:

1. Took a long time to ship, including giving inaccurate info on when he would ship

2. Kicked over sending a $500 book in a box

3. Overcharged for shipping

4. Was curt in his e-mail exchanges

If you were a buyer thinking of buying something from this guy, wouldn't you be interested in these things?

If I am paying you several hundred dollars for a book and the seller has poor customer service then getting a neutral is the least of his problems. This seller basically lied about when he shipped the book. Apparently didn't want to do anything extra to secure the book and didn't want to provide additional scans. Why would you reward such behavior.

Those on here are saying they think the seller was justified on his response. Why? This guy did terrible customer service. Heck, I can buy a $1 pencil from Amazon and its shipped in 2 days with tracking as well as packaged like it was someones heart transplant. But you would let this seller, who was paid $500 for a comic book to treat a customer like that? What a way to bend over and grab the ankles.

I think you were appropriate in giving a neutral. You can put some explanation with it. Yes, you got the book, but look what it took to get it.

I'm curious how long it took from posting the neutral, to getting the email.

After all the crew was out on vacation, living it up in the sun and fun, so if it took several extra days to ship, and prohibited email of a status, it follows that it should also have taken several days to f/u on the deserved neutral feedback and self-righteous indignation.

I'm curious how long it took from posting the neutral, to getting the email.

After all the crew was out on vacation, living it up in the sun and fun, so if it took several extra days to ship, and prohibited email of a status, it follows that it should also have taken several days to f/u on the deserved neutral feedback and self-righteous indignation.

lol Oh it was a near immediate reply much faster than for my other enquiries.