• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Was a neutral appropriate?

177 posts in this topic

What is with this guys massive signature?

What did his listing say for estimated shipping? That'd play a big part in the feedback. I might have hit him up before though and just pointed it out. I once nailed a seller on ebay for the crazy ship time. He promptly pointed out that I'd mistakenly bought a pre-order item that wasn't out yet. I felt like an insufficiently_thoughtful_person and apologized.

Seller wasn't quick (you can ding them for slow shipping) and was a bit misleading by not shipping when they said they would, the neutral was probably borderline. In your shoes, I probably would have simply not left feedback. However, with his response I would definitely let it stand.

+1

What are you ranting and raving about?

And so it begins....

Yep, you showing up to be an instigator...right on time (thumbs u

Mark, you'll get a lot more traction in life if you stop blaming everyone else for your own shortcomings, and accept responsibility for what you say and do.

lol

You are too funny since you don't know a thing about me or how much traction I have in my life.

Thanks and all the best

I liked it better when RockMyAmadeus was a internet mime. the "quote" function is flawed when you have the "ignore" feature enabled hm

Is that a 2+2 in your sig line?

I don't think I would leave Neutral on a situation like that when the seller communicated the delay. Even without communication, I don't think I'd leave it on shipping delays. I reserve Neutral for things like poor packaging - things that will effect a potential buyer's merchandise adversely.

Would you use a Neutral for poor packaging even if there wasn't any damage? I ask because once I left a Neutral on eBay for what I thought was poor packaging (an envelope without anything else for a computer add-in card), and the seller was quite upset - not all caps insulting upset, but upset - because he thought as long as there hadn't been any damage, it was okay.

I don't think I would leave Neutral on a situation like that when the seller communicated the delay. Even without communication, I don't think I'd leave it on shipping delays. I reserve Neutral for things like poor packaging - things that will effect a potential buyer's merchandise adversely.

Would you use a Neutral for poor packaging even if there wasn't any damage? I ask because once I left a Neutral on eBay for what I thought was poor packaging (an envelope without anything else for a computer add-in card), and the seller was quite upset - not all caps insulting upset, but upset - because he thought as long as there hadn't been any damage, it was okay.

I haven't yet - but that's a good idea. An undamaged comic with poor packaging is pure luck. I should keep that in mind. Neutral feedback should be meant to encourage the seller to change things up before it becomes a problem. Not everyone should get a gold star just for putting a package in the mailbox.

I've had people send expensive books with no protection and they could have easily been damaged but, by some miracle, they made it through safely. I don't like to reward sellers for taking risks with my product and my money, especially if I paid a shipping price that was consistent with proper packaging. The fact that the item arrived unscathed has nothing to do with whether or not the seller took proper care with your items and actually used the money you sent them for shipping on proper materials and protection.

I haven't yet - but that's a good idea. An undamaged comic with poor packaging is pure luck. I should keep that in mind. Neutral feedback should be meant to encourage the seller to change things up before it becomes a problem. Not everyone should get a gold star just for putting a package in the mailbox.

That's how I felt. Ebay feedback, to me, is meant to let others know what to expect when dealing with the person, so I try to take it seriously. I got the card, on time, and it worked properly, so it wasn't a Negative experience. But even though there wasn't damage - actually, there was, since there was a driver CD included that wouldn't run and had clearly been broken from pressing against the board, but I was replacing another identical card so didn't need the drivers - I felt like there quite easily COULD have been damage, so I went with Neutral and explained why. The seller felt since he had shipped "hundreds" of cards like this with only a handful of problems, it was okay.

We never came to an understanding, and I assume he continues to ship in the same manner. But at least people who read the feedback can be aware, is my opinion.

As for the OP, I agree with his feedback, and definitely think he shouldn't change it, particularly given the response.

OP, the real issue here is what DSRs you left the seller, not the neutral. I didn't read that here, unless I missed it somewhere.

Negs/Neuts do not get sellers thrown off ebay or cause them to lose TRS Plus status (which could end their business also).... star dings do.

A buyer may be hurting himself and the entire collecting community by leaving less than 5 stars. You have to ask yourself, do I want to cut my own nose off to spite my face.......... and that of other collectors as well?

Was this seller a scammer, DD, Ewert, PGX Daniel, etc, etc, type of person?

I agree the shipping delay and offensive email was unprofessional. But do you want this seller thrown off ebay where no one can ever buy from him again? That is the real question here.

So I ask you... what DSRs did you leave the seller?

To be honest I didn't give the stars nearly as much consideration as the neutral. I left mediocre stars, two I think, for shipping and dinged one for communication.

Ok, what about the fact he knew that seller was already given three neutrals before? And another for slow shipping?

Would you shop at a store like that if you knew? I wouldn't

Isn't that all the more reason for the OP to leave a neutral? You say you wouldn't shop at a store like that, but if the OP (and others before him) never left the neutral feedback you'd never know.

I think the feedback is very appropriate. That way people can see they may not get their item in the stated time. For those who don't care and just want their stuff whenever, they can still buy with no worries. At the same time, those like the OP that want their stuff when stated can avoid the situation.

OP, the real issue here is what DSRs you left the seller, not the neutral. I didn't read that here, unless I missed it somewhere.

Negs/Neuts do not get sellers thrown off ebay or cause them to lose TRS Plus status (which could end their business also).... star dings do.

A buyer may be hurting himself and the entire collecting community by leaving less than 5 stars. You have to ask yourself, do I want to cut my own nose off to spite my face.......... and that of other collectors as well?

I agree the shipping delay and offensive email was unprofessional. But do you want this seller thrown off ebay where no one can ever buy from him again? That is the real question here.

To be honest I didn't give the stars nearly as much consideration as the neutral. I left mediocre stars, two I think, for shipping and dinged one for communication.

That is far worse damage than the neutral you left. Ebay goes by star ratings. They just culled 15,000 sellers. Many of those sellers had average ratings as high as 4.7. So you can see what kind of damage leaving even a 4 out of 5 can do to a seller. Especially a small seller that does not get tons of other DSR ratings to offset anything less than a 5. (Those star ratings are not anonymous by the way. A seller can see everything a buyer rated them simply by running a 30 second report.)

The fact that you left your seller a "2" is a death blow. "1"s and "2"s are factored into the "low DSR" seller report card. If a seller has more than 0.5% low DSRs (1s and 2s), they will lose TRS status. (It only takers a couple bad ones to eliminate a small seller.) They will be on ebay's radar and probably get their account restricted sooner, rather than later.

Knowing this, I would have left no FB at all for the seller. No pos/neut/neg rating and no star ratings. The seller is not a scammer, just not too great with customer service and communication (ok he's a pinhead, but not a DD) Being a comic collector, I would like to leave the door open for myself (and other collectors), to buy something from him in the future, if he had a great deal on a book I wanted. I wouldn't mind the delay. I would just take it in stride as long as I received what I paid for. You've effectively closed that door for yourself, and most likely, other collectors in the future.

I just don't cut my nose off to spite my own face, just because a seller took 11 days to get my comic to me, instead of the stated 5 days, or whatever it was.

Just my 2c

That is far worse damage than the neutral you left. Ebay goes by star ratings. They just culled 15,000 sellers. Many of those sellers had average ratings as high as 4.7. So you can see what kind of damage leaving even a 4 out of 5 can do to a seller. Especially a small seller that does not get tons of other DSR ratings to offset anything less than a 5. (Those star ratings are not anonymous by the way. A seller can see everything a buyer rated them simply by running a 30 second report.)

The fact that you left your seller a "2" is a death blow. "1"s and "2"s are factored into the "low DSR" seller report card. If a seller has more than 0.5% low DSRs (1s and 2s), they will lose TRS status. (It only takers a couple bad ones to eliminate a small seller.) They will be on ebay's radar and probably get their account restricted sooner, rather than later.

Knowing this, I would have left no FB at all for the seller. No pos/neut/neg rating and no star ratings. The seller is not a scammer, just not too great with customer service and communication (ok he's a pinhead, but not a DD) Being a comic collector, I would like to leave the door open for myself (and other collectors), to buy something from him in the future, if he had a great deal on a book I wanted. I wouldn't mind the delay. I would just take it in stride as long as I received what I paid for. You've effectively closed that door for yourself, and most likely, other collectors in the future.

I just don't cut my nose off to spite my own face, just because a seller took 11 days to get my comic to me, instead of the stated 5 days, or whatever it was.

Just my 2c

What can you possibly buy from the guy that you couldn't get anywhere else?

If you can't follow eBay's guidelines, you're going to get the FB you deserve.

If the seller made an honest mistake and COMMUNICATED it to the buyer, that'd be one thing. But from what the seller said, he simply thought it was ok to wait two weeks to ship the thing, despite listing 2 days as his shipping time.

The idea that he might have something you want in the future, so go ahead and take whatever behavior he'll throw at you, is just bizarre to me.

The sellers whole attitude in regards to timeliness, having to 'ship in a box' (wha?), poor communication, and response tells me he's a likely candidate for worse behavior down the road.

What could he possibly have that I couldn't go to someone else for?

But from what the seller said, he simply thought it was ok to wait two weeks to ship the thing, despite listing 2 days as his shipping time.

Not defending the seller's behavior in any way.

But I just started listing books again on Ebay. Other than the new format is horrible, there are some defaults you need to watch out for.

One is Global Shipping being default "on" (thanks to the post here warning of this, I found it and unchecked the box). The other being default turnaround time is 2 days. I didn't even catch where to adjust this with this new layout. But I am sure it is somewhere you can pick up on once you look for it.

But from what the seller said, he simply thought it was ok to wait two weeks to ship the thing, despite listing 2 days as his shipping time.

But I just started listing books again on Ebay. Other than the new format is horrible, there are some defaults you need to watch out for.

One is Global Shipping being default "on" (thanks to the post here warning of this, I found it and unchecked the box). The other being default turnaround time is 2 days. I didn't even catch where to adjust this with this new layout. But I am sure it is somewhere you can pick up on once you look for it.

No question about that, clicking ok to any legal binding agreement takes careful scrutiny.

If the seller in this instance had even communicated, "Hey, I'm sorry, I didn't realize eBay had checked the 2 day turnaround time box for me", that'd have been one thing.

But he didn't. He had a cavalier attitude about timeliness (or lack thereof) for shipping out a $500 book.

It's the lack of respect on a $500 sale that bothers me. I can spend my $500 anywhere. I'm not going to spend it on someone who sees my order as an inconvenience to their schedule.

Everyone makes mistakes. Things do happen. Communicate and maybe it can be worked out.

No question about that, clicking ok to any legal binding agreement takes careful scrutiny.

If the seller in this instance had even communicated, "Hey, I'm sorry, I didn't realize eBay had checked the 2 day turnaround time box for me", that'd have been one thing.

But he didn't. He had a cavalier attitude about timeliness (or lack thereof) for shipping out a $500 book.

It's the lack of respect on a $500 sale that bothers me. I can spend my $500 anywhere. I'm not going to spend it on someone who sees my order as an inconvenience to their schedule.

Everyone makes mistakes. Things do happen. Communicate and maybe it can be worked out.

I agree the seller is a pinhead. I just can't put him in the same class as a DD, Ewert, PGX Danny, etc. If we knocked out every pinhead on ebay from selling, that would only leave 2 other sellers, besides myself, for everyone to buy from. :grin:

hm You know what....... go ahead and ding those bad ebayers' stars. :)