• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

When did New Warriors Jump the Shark?

19 posts in this topic

Love, LOVE the group when they first came out. They had 75 issues. Thor #411 & 412 were highly fought over in my neighborhood growing up and New Warriors #1 felt every bit as cool as X-Men #1 for me and my friends. Each issue was amazing and left me waiting more.

So when did they go south? For me, I think it was around the time they had Marvel Boy go to jail. That seemed like a lost for the group and it didn't sit right with me. I felt like the core group had many more stories to tell and this wasn't one of them. You can't break up the original team! This isn't the Avengers! WTH man?

When was it for you?

New Warriors jumped the shark? (shrug)

BTW, New Warriors #1 was the first comic I ever bought, from a spinner rack no less, and it started the whole comic book experience for me. I still have it to this day, my well-read copy is probably the drekkiest book remaining in my collection (from an outsider's perspective) but it has a home forever.

I want to say late 20s or something? I remember buying the 25th issue which was thicker, maybe cardstock cover. My memory may be fuzzy over the years (decades) but I think that was around the time I switched away from Marvel and toward Valiant.

Yeah--around issue 25 for me too.

Loved the first year, however, as well as the Night Thrasher mini series. Man were those fun books. And I remember New Warriors 1-2 taking off and being worth money around the time issue 10 came out.

I later traded my set of 1-10 for $35 towards a New Mutants 87.

I recall enjoying this series through the Time and TIme Again storyline which crossed over with Nova and Night Thrasher. Things got very dark around then and really turned me off to the team. This was around issue 50 IIRC so I stayed on a little longer and I do have the whole run and all the crossovers but didn't really enjoy it much after that.

After around issue 25 for me. After they had a second group that mirrored them was all but destroyed. I think when Bagley left I left as well.

It had such a great start, but it faltered badly after around 25 and never recovered.

Not sure why they had to break up such a good thing. :sorry:

Last time I felt really good about the New Warriors was the brief reunion in Nova #20 which was excellent by the way. Nova 20 Review

Maybe Marvel will find a way to bring back the original good natured group much like they did with the All-New X-Men but don't hold your breath. :sick:

SPOILERS

New Warriors will always hold a special place in my collection...I thought it was great at the time and especially so with the Forever Yesterday storyline...My fave cover is the one with Nova and Ben holding those big freaking guns...I think that the reveal of the big bad being Talia was weak but I think it recovered afterwards...I really enjoyed the Nova Prime story, where Rich really stepped up, which led to his own series...So, I would say though after #50 for sure is when I started to lose interest...#51 to be exact...

SPOILERS

New Warriors will always hold a special place in my collection...I thought it was great at the time and especially so with the Forever Yesterday storyline...My fave cover is the one with Nova and Ben holding those big freaking guns...I think that the reveal of the big bad being Talia was weak but I think it recovered afterwards...I really enjoyed the Nova Prime story, where Rich really stepped up, which led to his own series...So, I would say though after #50 for sure is when I started to lose interest...#51 to be exact...

That was a fantastic storyline.