• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Constantine on NBC!!!!

98 posts in this topic

I think I know how this work in general.

Most modern = flippers

Flippers like to buy at cover or below and flip for $10 $20 or even $50 to other speculators who are late.

Key is fast in fast out.

So, news like the Ghost Projekt or 3D covers fit this group well.

Books like swamp thing #37 cannot be bought at cover and most probably need time to see some appreciation.

No flipping potential so no interest.

My 2 cents.

This thread made me think of another thread. Some interesting reading here http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=953327&fpart=1

And here http://scans-daily.dreamwidth.org/1442945.html

I think I know how this work in general.

Most modern = flippers

Flippers like to buy at cover or below and flip for $10 $20 or even $50 to other speculators who are late.

Key is fast in fast out.

So, news like the Ghost Projekt or 3D covers fit this group well.

Books like swamp thing #37 cannot be bought at cover and most probably need time to see some appreciation.

No flipping potential so no interest.

My 2 cents.

Not at all how I see it. I've had ST 37 for decades. I determined this book had a lot of of value about the same time I fell in love with Sandman and his sis Death which I've also had a long time and would not let out of my collection. I'm saying it has already been speculated on and the speculators did extremely well with this book but it was years and years ago. Anybody getting in now is fairly late to the party.

This thread made me think of another thread. Some interesting reading here http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=953327&fpart=1

And here http://scans-daily.dreamwidth.org/1442945.html

Wow, very interesting. Nice find. (thumbs u

(thumbs u

I'm saying it has already been speculated on and the speculators did extremely well with this book but it was years and years ago. Anybody getting in now is fairly late to the party.

So, if there was a TV announcement about Harley Quinn, will batman adventures 12 be snatched up? This book has already been speculated on so will prices spike some more?

Sorry, just want to dig your brains a bit more for different scenarios to further my understanding

I'm saying it has already been speculated on and the speculators did extremely well with this book but it was years and years ago. Anybody getting in now is fairly late to the party.

So, if there was a TV announcement about Harley Quinn, will batman adventures 12 be snatched up? This book has already been speculated on so will prices spike some more?

Sorry, just want to dig your brains a bit more for different scenarios to further my understanding

I doubt there would be a bigger demand than what there is now because that is already one of the hottest books out. I may be wrong abot the whole thing its just a guess. I will say this. If you have a chance to buy a copy of ST 37 cheap, I would buy it. I bought some League of Extraordinary Gentlemen and Miracleman books recently because I think Alan Moore books will retain or increase their value as long as there is a demand for comics. Good luck (thumbs u

I edit my previous post but you guys were fast.

So I am copying them here as a new post to avoid confusion.

"This is why it is confusing to me.

For any assets, new information tend to move prices because the expectations of the players in the market change with the news.

For example, when a company announces new projects, share prices might go up because investors expect more revenue in the future, even though the prices might already run up for the past year.

Similarly, a comic book might have increase some price increase but shouldn't new information change the expectations of the market? Maybe some collectors or investors or speculators might think "Hmm, tv show might increase the character's popularity so better buy one now or increase my hoard or whatever".

If not, how would a $50 book ever go to a $100 book?

To set another scenario, if a deadpool or harley quinn tv show is announced, will prices of their first appearance spike even though both books have already been speculated on?

Sorry for dragging this conversion but it is very educational for me."

I think what it comes down to is this...

Is the character established and does he or she have a strong and wide fan base? If so, success in another medium may increase price, but only minimally.

If not, the depiction in another medium well help to establish the character or property as relevant and "cool." Thus, bringing more fans and price increasing. Sometimes a book or character needs more validation than others that it's worth our attention.

2c

Constantine, Harley, and Deadpool are all the former IMO. Walking Dead, Thanos, and Apocalypse are the latter.

With that said, if Constantine becomes a nationwide phenomenon like WD then watch out.

Harley has been featured on and off BATMAN the animated series.

Comic books are used as marketing tests to see what sticks with consumers. Small screen will continue to make a character more mainstream and if popular will increase merchandising opportunities. Companies such as marvel and DC aren't making money producing comic books. all their profits are from movies, TV, toys, clothing, etc...

Todd McFarlane learned this years ago.

I edit my previous post but you guys were fast.

So I am copying them here as a new post to avoid confusion.

"This is why it is confusing to me.

For any assets, new information tend to move prices because the expectations of the players in the market change with the news.

For example, when a company announces new projects, share prices might go up because investors expect more revenue in the future, even though the prices might already run up for the past year.

Similarly, a comic book might have increase some price increase but shouldn't new information change the expectations of the market? Maybe some collectors or investors or speculators might think "Hmm, tv show might increase the character's popularity so better buy one now or increase my hoard or whatever".

If not, how would a $50 book ever go to a $100 book?

To set another scenario, if a deadpool or harley quinn tv show is announced, will prices of their first appearance spike even though both books have already been speculated on?

Sorry for dragging this conversion but it is very educational for me."

IMO Batman Adventures # 12 is going to keep heating with or without TV/Movie action. I don't know the exact print run but I never saw a lot of "kids" comics in the early 90's in the LCS's I frequented. Swamp Thing # 37? Depends on how many speculators waited to get one. Its always been a Vertigo Key to me.