• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What keeps you from your grail?

85 posts in this topic

Steve Ditko's refusal to sign my AF #15, stops me getting my yellow label grail.

Everything after that is DC related and cost prohibitive :cry:

You had the opportunity? I'd love to read the story on that. I heart Ditko.

Sometimes money makes unavailable books available. Every comic book is for sale to Bill Gates if he wants it bad enough!

+1

I'm pretty sure Bill Gates could get the Mile High Action #1 from the Dentist if he really wanted it bad enough. :insane:

I disagree. I think Dave treasures the book more than any amount of money; I don't believe it's for sale at any price. He already has one of the nicest collections in the world. What need does he have for more money?

Seriously? A super crazy 500x FMV offer couldn't pull the Action 1 or Tec 27 from his hands? I find that hard to believe, but you would know better than I.

$100 million, which would probably be Bill's petty cash, would probably do it. lol

Everything has a price. The man's comic collection is no exception. Arguing otherwise is just stupid.

Everything has a price. The man's comic collection is no exception. Arguing otherwise is just stupid.

Even if funds are unlimited, some comics are exceedingly hard to track down, and you may never be able to track down a copy, for sale or otherwise.

Steve Ditko's refusal to sign my AF #15, stops me getting my yellow label grail.

No story, only in my dreams :(

No story, only in my dreams :(

I used to have Steve Ditko’s phone number (really, I am not kidding), but never dared to phone him (also because my spoken english was – and still is – pretty horrible).

But a friend of mine, in a moment of discouragement, phoned him and as he picked up the phone he was freezed with embarassment, he babbled something about how he admired his work, especially Spider-Man, and Ditko did not comment so much.

I dared to write, and then get in touch with Jack Kirby, however, and this was one of the best decisions I made! :D

Even if funds are unlimited, some comics are exceedingly hard to track down, and you may never be able to track down a copy, for sale or otherwise.

Yes, I am oftened interested in something (which should be of interest per se, of course) because of its rarity, rather than price.

I have a pair of italian books which are pretty rare, and love them. :)

Sometimes money makes unavailable books available. Every comic book is for sale to Bill Gates if he wants it bad enough!

+1

I'm pretty sure Bill Gates could get the Mile High Action #1 from the Dentist if he really wanted it bad enough. :insane:

I disagree. I think Dave treasures the book more than any amount of money; I don't believe it's for sale at any price. He already has one of the nicest collections in the world. What need does he have for more money?

As to what keeps me from my grails (because I don't really have just one): probably hoarders. I know it was common for guys to hoard multiple copies of books back in the day, usually with an eye toward manipulating the market, and I think it may still be going on with books perceived as scarce.

Seriously? A super crazy 500x FMV offer couldn't pull the Action 1 or Tec 27 from his hands? I find that hard to believe, but you would know better than I.

Hard to believe and utterly ridiculous. The book would be gone.

The dentist once stated he would only sell the mile high action 1 for "life changing money". So direct from his mouth he would sell it (thumbs u

10,15 or even 20M sounds like a "life changing amount". For a newcomer comic enthusiast, who is also a billionaire, we'd be talking chump change.

Instead of saving for my grail I keep buying other books like a dope.

+1,000,000

Man, I get sidetracked all the time with smaller books I need for my collection.