• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Edmonton Expo 2013 comic convention highlights

167 posts in this topic

End of the show we were all exhausted. As we had so much space Dave and I decided to bring ALL of our set boxes which was 15 total. This meant I was making 2 trips home. My first load I packed more than half of the boxes and I figured I would be able to get the rest in the car. One small issue: I had forgotten about the two tables I bought and brought to the show the set up day.

Here is my car packed with the second load for laughs:

Packedupbarelyfit1_zps02dabc24.jpg

Packedupbarelyfit3_zpse0dcdf85.jpg

and my favorite pic: The front seat with a longbox mere inches from the steering wheel :roflmao:

Packedupbarelyfit2_zps827ea87e.jpg

Re: the overpacked car.

I have SO been there.

Dave's SUV looked exactly the same. Spinner racks take up a lot of room, and need to be on top as the wire framework is delicate. They also catch on everything and anything. That said they are marvelous for making efficient use of display space at a show. 50 pockets each = 100 sets on display in a 2 foot space. Hard to beat that

Great to meet Karl and the rest of the gang from Clobberin' Time Comics. Couldn't be a nicer bunch of guys. Thx for the hospitality Karl and the gang.

I would be remiss not to mention that their great inventory and fair prices make them the booth to check out when in edmonton or calgary. (thumbs u

Karl had checked in at noon. His plan was to get there early and shift the booths on our left and right out and expand our space. We've learned that expanding your booth is common and every inch of space is an added opportunity to sell.

I arrived about 2 pm. Checked in with the organizers. Found out that had held the booth to our left back for emergencies and were now giving it to us for free. Went back to my car and unloaded. When I got to our booth I was shocked to see just how big our booth was. So shocked that I actually went back to confirm there wasn't a mistake. We had, by far, the largest display space in the hall and the free booth was next to one of the main entrances to the hall and exposed us to the associated heavy traffic. Thank you very much Edmonton Expo.

I'm not sure these pics do the space justice - I think our booth was at least 70 feet long.

DSC01895.jpg

DSC01894.jpg

Karl and I had bought a large collection and had built 14 long boxes of sets. We didn't bring them because we didn't think we'd have room to display them. With the added space we'd decided to run home and pick them up. We'd never sold sets before and had no idea how well they'd sell. To our delight about half went home with happy customers.

Batgirl caught board member Bronty oogling my books without any cash on him. Thanks Batgirl!

CosplayPic29_zpsabf3ac12.jpg

hm

Dude, that's not me! lol

a) that's a picture of someone else, and

b) I had a few grand on me at all times :baiting: ...like aardvark's partner Magik said.. who goes to a show without cash?

Karl and I had bought a large collection and had built 14 long boxes of sets. We didn't bring them because we didn't think we'd have room to display them. With the added space we'd decided to run home and pick them up. We'd never sold sets before and had no idea how well they'd sell. To our delight about half went home with happy customers.

7 long boxes sold thru! Nice!! :) I'm not sure what's better the money or the freed up storage! congrats!

We set up our walls and did our best to prepare for the next day. Kimik and 500club weren't coming till the next day so we could only do so much. Kimik had 4 of our folding tables and 500club had 3 of our 5 wall sections. Karl did zip over to Canadian Tire and picked up 2 more folding tables and we found a pile of extra tables in back and 'borrowed' one. Between our tables and the show tables we now had 13 to display our stuff. Still didn't seem like enough lol .

Each year we seem to add more inventory, more walls, more tables. It's an evolutionary process. We've reached the point where we need multiple trips to our homes to load in and out our stuff. For out of town shows we'll have to look at renting a large van.

During setup, debating how to maximize space and sales, I mentioned to Karl that it would be cool to be in the movie 'Ground Hog's Day'. Setting up every Friday and waking up Monday morning only to find we were setting up on Friday yet again. We could change and tinker with everything to determine what worked best and increased sales.