• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So, how are things going with your collecting and dealing?

18 posts in this topic

I guess the question I am asking here is:

So, everything considered, how are you and your comic book hobby and/or business doing overall at this time?

Are you finding the books you are looking for? Right price and condition?

Are you able to sell your books at satisfying prices?

Are you finding good new stories to read?

Are you happy with the grades you have received when slabbing?

Are you comfortable with your own grading?

Are you building or depleting your collection?

Are you having luck with Ebay or other online dealers?

How about conventions and your LCS?

Are your books appreciating in value or decreasing due to bad speculation?

Are you spending too much time or money on comics?

Are you finding the answers you need to comic-related questions?

Overall, what is your status report on your current involvement with comics? confused-smiley-013.gif

Just curious ------Sid

Much more slowly than I'd like to. The main reason I began involvement in this forum was to learn about restoration detection and to try to push the state of the art of grading. I almost started my own forum before this one came around for that sole purpose but hadn't found a great way to promote it, so I was ECSTATIC to see CGC start one since they're all about grading and restoration.

I've learned a lot, but I've got a LOT farther to go.

Much more slowly than I'd like to. The main reason I began involvement in this forum was to learn about restoration detection and to try to push the state of the art of grading. I almost started my own forum before this one came around for that sole purpose but hadn't found a great way to promote it, so I was ECSTATIC to see CGC start one since they're all about grading and restoration.

I've learned a lot, but I've got a LOT farther to go.

Yes, I feel the same way. These forums have educated me more in the last nine months than the previous ten years before that. Sometimes it takes a little digging to get through to this information of course. I basically divide the posts on these boards into three sections:

1. Good quality, and serious information

2. Just chatting about comics for the fun of it

3. Conspiracies, complaints, venting, flaming

Books for my personal collection no. Where are the 9.8 FFs? Where are the bondage covers?

Always

Yes.

Yes. I submitted 40 books between Chicago and Baltimore and received 14 9.8s and 12 9.6s. I'm quite pleased.

Yes.

Personal collection increasing. Inventory for sale? Moving as fast as I can.

Other dealers.

Conventions. ALWAYS good to find stuff to flip. I'll take raw New Teen Titans 2s for a buck in NM all day long. Found 50 of them in Baltimore.

Increasing because I don't speculate on reaches. Only stuff that I'm sure on. Haven't missed yet.

To paraphrase the great Freewheelin' Franklin: Comics will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no comics.

Yes

Overall, what is your status report on your current involvement with comics?:

When's the damn crash coming? grin.gif

Not really. But then again I'm looking for books that aren't typically found in abundant high condition. Waiting game.

Somewhat. I'm finding eBay isn't necessarily the best place anymore for selling.

New stories? I don't collect new comics with any frequency, but I did pick up a near complete EC run Vault of Horror/Haunt of Fear reprints from Gemstone. thumbsup2.gif

Somewhat neutral. Could be better...could be worse. Based on my last batch I would say grading is getting tighter.

For higher grades yes....below FN/VF I tend to make more mistakes...

Both

Luck doing what?!? confused.gif If it is finding deals---the sure deals are with dealers, although the price paid is more.

I'm slowly building a relationship with my LCS. Don't do conventions...yet

Up, Up, and Away, but not my choice. I buy what I want, and damn the consequences. As a seller, I don't keep a book for long--slab 'n flip. Edit: Silly me, if I slab a book that means I'll be keeping it for about a year. foreheadslap.gif

Yes, which is why I have supervised visits to the boards tongue.gif

This board is excellent for soliciation of questions

Overall, what is your status report on your current involvement with comics? confused-smiley-013.gif

I'm on defense and offense, sometimes on the sidelines, and sometimes on special teams

Just curious ------Sid

I SAY!!! BTW, why don't you answer your OWN questions?

Since I collect pre-code horror, it's a matter of being able to afford a mid-high grade book. Not everything is even locatable... it took me about six months to find a single unrestored copy of a book I was looking for.

I've practically had to give away complete runs of 90s books. I wish I didn't buy any of that [!@#%^&^]!

My new book buying is way, way down. The last good thing I read was "The New Frontier" by Darwyn Cooke.

I'm dumping almost everything post 1980 except for a few titles and creators and buying almost exclusively pre-code horror books.

I've been pretty fortunate with eBay. I buy lower grade books, so the chance for disappointment is far less.

I go to the local Philadelphia shows as well as the Big Apple shows. Good selections at both.

I don't speculate. I buy what I want to have.

Way too much money. I have to find a way to slow it down.

Overall, what is your status report on your current involvement with comics?

I wish I could find more that I like in the current comic market. I like good stories, but don't see a whole lot that interests me.

I SAY!!! BTW, why don't you answer your OWN questions?

Good idea. I just wanted to see if anyone would even respond to this before writing my own spiel.

I am finding alot of what I am looking for, but certainly not everything. I pretty much use Ebay and conventions exclusively for buying. I would find more, but I TRY not to buy anything at FMV. I only buy what I like, but because I know myself, I am likely to sell even my favorites within a couple years, so I am always looking for "good deals" so I usually pass up even items on my want list if priced fair. I look for much better than fair. Unfortunately I have to pass on some nice books this way. I think it is my old stock-picking ways that leads me to search out undervalued books.

As far as selling (on Ebay) I have been quite happy with my ASM sales recently. My Uncanny X-Men have been slow and not bringing in the ASM quality dollars for similar FMV books. I have tons of 90s "bad girl" books that are pretty pathetic in sales right now. At least I've been able to buy some very nice ones recently for next to nothing.

As far as CGC and CGG grading, I've learned to inspect my submissions much better now than just looking at the front covers. Now that I take the books out of the bag, and examine the back as well, my expectations are alot better. I used to be quite surprised with my results. I've learned the hard way, believe me.

My own grading, with the help of this board has become pretty good. When I take the time to accurately grade individual books, my responses have been quite good as witnessed on my stellar Ebay feedback.

I am constantly churning my collection while buying and selling but overall my collection is shrinking in numbers as I am starting to liquidate lower value books while starting to buy more high dollar books.

I am about 75% pleased with my Ebay purchase transactions with some being outstanding. Of the 25% so-so they are usually acceptable with only about 5-10% being disappointing.

Regarding conventions, I now go to two or three biggies a year including San Diego and Wondercon every year. I love 'em and do alot of buying. I have no need at all for a LCS as I do not buy any new comics.

Overall my 80s and below comics I would say have appreciated, some more than others, of course. My 90s stuff is usually sold for less than cover unless special for some reason.

Yes, I always spend alot of money and time on comics, but I can't really say "too much" of either. Better than playing in the streets or blowing money on lap dances, for sure. I used to buy books on credit. That was "too much". Now I only buy more comics with money I've made through selling comics. That system works great.

Sometimes yes, sometimes no. Still looking for the elusive HG copy of TOS#52.

Sometimes yes, sometimes no.

Some of the new stuff is good. Much of it is [!@#%^&^]. On whole, I'd have to say that I'm as happy with the new stuff as I've ever been. The latest debacle in Amazing Spider-Man notwithstanding, of course.

For the most part, they've been OK. I got killed on my modern subs at onsite grading in Chicago, which I wasn't too happy about.

Always learning, but I believe I can grade as well as anyone whose name doesn't rhyme with Shmorock, Fitch, or Paspel.

A little of both, lately. More like focusing it a little better. Some of you guys with your sweet scans and cool covers have had me running around like a chicken with my head cut off.

I tend to buy only from people with good feedback and/or people I've done business with before. Most non-dealers are a waste of time though.

There are some good LCSs around here, and I've been to more conventions in the last year than I'd been to in the prior ten years. No complaints, though I wish Metro were in SF instead of NYC!

For the most part, they appear to be appreciating.

Uh huh. And loving every minute of it.

Thanks to these boards and the many, many experts who post here, yes!

Still trying to put together the collection I sold off in 1993-94, albeit in higher grade. Having a better time than ever before thanks to these forums, where I've made more comic buddies in eight months than I had in the prior 25 years combined. thumbsup2.gif

I am spending way too much time on ebay. Almost everything I watch or bid on(mostly GA and SA horror, GGA, and select SA superhero) ends up way too high and in essence I've wasted my time. I try to gravitate to the soft, underappreciated market but I guess by the time I do others are already there.

Selling, a lot of the 9.6 and 9.8 Copper Age books (most of what I sell) are no longer getting decent prices so selling is so-so. When I sell low grade SA it's hit and miss, mid grade SA is usually disappointing, high grade is also variable. I hav a lot of 9.6-9.8 raw 80's book like X-Men but rarely get a decent price because most assume they are probaby 9.0 or worse. I get a lot of repeat buyer though, but they are often the bottom-feeders who only buy stuff that's priced as a lock.

When I do make a buy, the average true grade is a 1/2 full grade off. I just won a slew of high grade Lois Lane from J&S comics and book were on average off by about 0.4, which hurts when it's listed as a 9.4 and there's competition for this perceived 9.4. In the end, I ended up with a lot of 8.5's and paid book for them. Debated a long time whehter to [!@#%^&^] to them, but i don't have the emotional coin to spend right now, and I'm building the Lois collection for my young daughter.

CGC is what it is, an when i send in books I feel the grading tends to be somewhat capricious, and floats between lax and stringent, but I know longer get a buzz getting back books. I'd day 75% of the time my books come back as expected, which I can live with. I would greater appreciate online access tograder notes so I can see quickly the logic behind some puzzling grades.

Shows flat out suck these days. Noody seems to bring anything worthwhile (good stuff is reserved for ebay). Iwould much rahter ebay display and show reemerge as THE place to buy books. THis would solve all lot of problems, including putting some challenge back into the hunt, getting to see books IN PERSON (and thereby eliminating ?s of SCS), saving S/H fees, etc.

Right now, I get the sense that it would be smart to cash out all your high grade silver and wait for the market correction (i.e., al the speculators leave) to happen before buying again. But I have a sentimental attachment to those books I have now, so selling mostof the them is not going to happen.

Shows flat out suck these days. Noody seems to bring anything worthwhile (good stuff is reserved for ebay). Iwould much rahter ebay display and show reemerge as THE place to buy books. THis would solve all lot of problems, including putting some challenge back into the hunt, getting to see books IN PERSON (and thereby eliminating ?s of SCS), saving S/H fees, etc.

I agree completely... I have bought many books because I was able to flip through them and be awed by the interior artwork. Shows are by far my preferred place to buy books.

Ebay hasnt failed me yet.

Comics right now are the best they've been in ages for me. I dont really dig on the new superhero stuff too much, but I love horror and more mature titles. Between Conan, Y, Walking Dead, 100 Bullets, Supreme Power, Planetary, etc I'm having a great time with the new books. I'm also picking up trades of the classics I've missed over the years.

Yep. Mostly dead on.

Yup. I do believe I'm fairly skilled.

Massively building my modern/copper DC mature collection. I've decided to try to do an Ian Levine on the Vertigo stuff. Obviously really easy, but it still takes time and money. I'm also slowly getting into bronze horror more.

I mostly sell on ebay so I do very well. Buying raw on ebay is what it is.

Love em both. Conventions are more exciting, but I consistently turn up gems digging in my LCS's. I have about 4 in my area so I hit one a week and find lots of nice books.

I RARELY lose money on a flip. I dont speculate long term. Anything I hold, I hold because I want it.

Too much time on these damn boards. I actually end up making money on comics overall.

Since I found these boards, absolutely.

I'm liking the hobby more than ever.

In general yes but some are getting so difficult that I'm buying them slabbed instead of trying to find them raw and sending them to CGC myself

Not like during the glory days of 2002 but I'm basically only selling DCs now so it's understandable

Haven't read any new stuff for a long time until Khaos sent me the special double issue of Y, the Last Man Standing reprinting issues 1 and 2. I was blown away with the story and will be buying the TPBs in the near future.

Yup. I even redeemed myself with my latest modern submission! cloud9.gif

Yes

Building my DCs with collecting certain titles later in the 70s and sometimes up to the 80s. Depleting all the other publishers.

When I am discipline and bid on books from reputable dealers...yes. When I take uneccessary risks...no!

Not really anymore. Occassionally, there might have some nice books show up locally but not like in the past.

Probably appreciating in some form on an overall basis

Oh yeah...now if only my CGC subs would come back!

Generally...yes

Still working on my CGC DC 100 pager run. Will take a few more years at the minimum to reach my current goal for that run.

Silver/Bronze books that I look for are generally priced right...I just don't have enough money to buy all that I want.

ASM storyline aside...new books are great reads. There are still a few of those "fluff" 2 minute reads out there but they are fewer than a few years ago.

As a newcomer to slabbing this past year I was surprised to find that the CGC grading was fairly in line with my own expectation. But I don't chase 9.8s either.

Butterflies are over......I seen enough that I can stand behind any grades on ebay sales.

Learning to be more selective....while thinning the herd.

Just started using Ebay 2 years ago.....so I learned what most others already knew(if you receive within 1 full grade of what was advertised...be happy and move on).

1st there are no new comic stores in the area, but the good news is that there have been no closures in that time period either.

Yes and Yes

thumbsup2.gif CGC Forums - A+ A Must See!!!!!! If you see only one forum this year, make it this one!!!! - excuse me while I remove my lips from Arch's now.

Still a Big Kid acting like a Little Kid in a hobby that is staying alive by the same Big/Little kid dollar.

Yes. Am seeking BA horror at the moment. Love the books I am getting and the condition. Prices have been great on some, high for others, but to a pre-code horror collector? Prices are not a concern.

I have not attempted to sell books. I have some lesser grade Marvel BA I will be selling as lots but not yet.

With every new book I buy. Just little time to read much.

Will be submitting some books for slabbing in the near future. Then we will see. Gonna start with 3 GA from my SOCIETY membership and also 10 BA Horror. Will learn much from this!

From scans? Not really. From book in hand? Very.

Building. Added a few feet over the past few months.

Yes to online dealers and will be seeking others. To me, a good online dealer you form a relationship with is worth a lot. Have been avoiding ebay except for movie paper.

Cannot wait for the next Wondercon. LCS in SF are almost non-existent for BA and earlier.

My preocde horror is getting a bit stagnant but I always buy at the right price so they are fine. My BA horror? I assume they are going up due to HG.

Not ENOUGH time. I have a ton of BA Horror I haven;t even catalogued yet. I never spend too much money. Only what the budget allows.

On these boards the vast majority of questions I have are answered nicely, thank you!

Highly enthusiastic!

I guess the question I am asking here is:

So, everything considered, how are you and your comic book hobby and/or business doing overall at this time?

- not bad. Tons on the market lately and there is so much I want to buy. Its hard to say focused without getting distarcted by good books that grab your attention.

- lately yes and I have made a number of what I feel have been good value for money. I learn something new everyday on these boards and it has helped me in my purchasing tremendously.

- have only sold a few but I have been happy with the amounts I received. Its nice to know my comics have some good liquid value.

- moderns not. Havings recently bought hundreds of Moderns from the mid 90's I find that they are so bad that I have not been reading all of them right away, just bagging them and putting them away to be read another day. Now that's bad.

- no.

- yes.

- reworking. Sold some 6-7.5 graded SA keys great GA books and high grade SA and BA issues. Trying to buy more SA 9.4's whenever I can.

- yes very much so. EBay has been great so far.

- never been to a convention, haven't stepped foot in a LCS in over 20 years.

- mostly appreciating.

- ha. Can't spend enough.

- yes.

- feel that the market and the business is stronger than it has been in a long time.

Quit collecting high grade silver/bronze and Golden age classic covers and now just buy trades to read on occasion and blow my $$ on original art. For some reason owning one of kind original art is more satisfying than mass produced comics.