• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Beware of this Detective 140 on Ebay............

38 posts in this topic

When are serious collectors gonna get it. E-Bay is a big garbage CAN. It is full of tricksters, flippers, trimmers, and CLOWNS........

They prey on one thing>>>>GREED

Why time after time, collectors seeking to "steal the book" end up getting restored, reprints, and overgraded books time after time.

Folks, pay the Dammmmm money, by from people that you know or auction houses that will be there tomorrow.

Steve0487 has bought 23 restored books since July, spending as little as $23.50 for a TTA 75 to $3971 for a JIM 83.

Just to confirm I looked for a big ticket bust out first. Steve0487 won a Submariner 1 3.0 PLOD on 8/26, and blueskidoo8 listed it on 9/27 raw. It was up to $759 when the listing cancelled on 9/30. Something spooked him then, maybe a message sent through Ebay, after all this one was easy to spot due to prominent writing on the cover.

I'm gonna see what other trails there are over the weekend.

This pizzes me off. Who does this guy think he is, selling these restored books back to us? We won't just buy restored books from any two bit, auto part dealing newcomer who thinks knows that we'll buy even big ticket books without doing our homework. Get in line, buddy! When you've been around as long as a real dealer, and paid your dues - well, then and only then will you be allowed to peddle this type of merchandise! rantrant

Steve0487 has won a couple of restored books from Sparkle. If it can be conclusively shown he's up to no good, Brian Schutzer might be willing to divulge the buyer's personal info in the name of bringing a perp to justice. Because, as we know, justice traps the guilty!

Wow. This is like watching a crime take place in slow motion.

Seller buys certified restored book for $1681.

Seller strips certification and sells book for $3050.

New buyer has no idea what just happened to them.

Unfortunately, there's nothing illegal about this, that I can see. Makes me pretty sad, though.

Unfortunately, there's nothing illegal about this, that I can see. Makes me pretty sad, though.

I don't agree; I think it probably constitutes larceny by false pretenses.

http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/false+pretenses

I don't agree; I think it probably constitutes larceny by false pretenses.

http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/false+pretenses

100% , people like this need to "pay".. complete scum

When are serious collectors gonna get it. E-Bay is a big garbage CAN. It is full of tricksters, flippers, trimmers, and CLOWNS........

They prey on one thing>>>>GREED

Why time after time, collectors seeking to "steal the book" end up getting restored, reprints, and overgraded books time after time.

Folks, pay the Dammmmm money, by from people that you know or auction houses that will be there tomorrow.

I actually think this sums it up best. EBay is a good place to buy batteries, vacuum bags and water filters!

Just wanted to acknowledge the genius of Timely's "Perfect World" response. I am particularly fond of the ending. Nice job Timely!

He wrote me back again,

"hello. I do not want to cheat anyone obviously. I have near perfect feedback but shipped some auto parts that broke and the people got mad.

also though I am answering questions quickly and honestly and disclosing everything. I never claimed to know everything about this book.

buyers always assume full risk. its an imperfect world."

My response,

"Well, I sent you a link showing the book was found to be restored.

I suppose in a perfect world you would end the auction.

I suppose in a perfect world you would state that the book was found to be trimmed by CGC.

I suppose in a perfect world you wouldn't subject your bidders to full risk with no returns allowed.

I suppose in a perfect world I would not buy any books from you, and I will not.

Just be known you and your book are being talked about on the CGC chatboard.

I suspect this will not end well for you as a seller.

My buddy purchased both the Detective 140 and a misrepresented Hulk 1 with alot of tape. Unfortunately, I saw this post after he purchased the restored Detective 140. Oh, he never mentioned the numerous amount of tape on the Hulk 1, covering the spine and back cover. He was confronted and of course denied everything. He tells us that he has been a good friend. Right!

He or they are scammers preying on legitimate collectors. Paypal was contacted and is intervening. It looks like he will get his money back.

He also goes by the name "Serbgorilla" on Youtube where he shows off his "Powerful Collection."

My buddy purchased both the Detective 140 and a misrepresented Hulk 1 with alot of tape. Unfortunately, I saw this post after he purchased the restored Detective 140. Oh, he never mentioned the numerous amount of tape on the Hulk 1, covering the spine and back cover. He was confronted and of course denied everything. He tells us that he has been a good friend. Right!

He or they are scammers preying on legitimate collectors. Paypal was contacted and is intervening. It looks like he will get his money back.

He also goes by the name "Serbgorilla" on Youtube where he shows off his "Powerful Collection."

I was offered that hulk 1 too... :eek: