• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Would you purchase a restored book?

23 posts in this topic

I`ve always thought it would be interesting to have at least one professionally restored book in my collection.As long as I could also have "before pics" to give an idea what is involved in bringing a book back from the dead.Just a thought.We all know that anything worthy of restoration is a pretty high end book and out of bounds for the average collector just to have one "because".

What is the rule of thumb on restored books,btw? I think they retain the value of a ....G?VG? copy of the same book sans restoration. Not sure.

Yes. Assuming al restoration was fully disclosed and professionally done. It would also have to be a book that was restored to a grade that I couldn't afford to buy in the same grade unrestored.

gossip.gif I own several restored Golden Age books. Got 'em at reasonable prices. Apparent condition is no better than Fine-, so no big deal. In many cases these were the only copies of the book I've ever seen for sale in my price range (Flash Comics #62, Superboy #5 come to mind).

I am very happy with restored books as long as I can get them cheap. I've gotten fairly high grade GA books (in the 7.0 to 8.0) range with just a bit of color touch on the spine for the 2.0 to 3.0 price. Hard to go wrong with that. If you put that ink anywhere else on the book they'd be unrestored 6.0s...Makes no sense to me, but I'll keep buying them when they come up!

I have many restored books and buy them whenever I see them at the right price.Only thing I don't care for is reglossed covers. I have been convinced that is a walking timebomb. I had a fantastic BB28 in CGC 8.5 that I traded because of the reglossing. Am currently bidding on purple label AF15 in 3.0 and a TOS39 in 7.0.

My Avengers1,TTA35,and ST114 are all purple label.Also my Captain Action 1.

I've also got quite a few SA books with color touch that I didn't know about when bought.

I must be the only one here... Although it does save book's from the ravages of time, I wouldnt ever own a restored book. I understand why it is done. Just not my type of thing....

I used to be of that opinion but now I look at it as one facet of our overall hobby.If the price was right and the work done professionally I would`nt have a problem with a restored book.

I've got no problem with a restored book if;

1) I know it's a restored.

2) Price reflects the fact that it's a restored.

3) Difficult book to find or pricey if unrestored.

You can always flip the book if a nicer, unrestored comes along.

Just MHO!

Just MHO!

Absolutely - 100% under conditions stated above! thumbsup2.gif

Just MHO!

I couldn't have said it better myself.

I may be a minority of one here,but I think there is much more upside to buying purple labeled books for 15% to 25% guide than paying 10X-20X guide for 9.6 slabbed boks. At least the restos are fairly immune to SCS.

I have knowingly bought at least a dozen restored books. Mostly key DC books that I would never buy otherwise since they would be so expensive or I would not buy a low grade book that looks crappy. I have a restored Sensation #1 Green lantern # 1 World's Finest # 1 and All Star # 1. I think they were each between $1,000-$2,000

I also bought several restored books from Motor City. They were all restored by a professional ameuter collector/restorer. He was a friend of someone I knew from the ebay comic chatroom.

The only lot I ever bought from a real auction house included a Flash 105 and showcase 8. one or the other of those was definately restored. The Showcase is attached here

615332-showcase8c2.jpg.fddff6834d36617eb80df7e08527f63c.jpg

I'm ecstatic to own this book. Anybody want to guess what I paid for it already slabbed on E-Bay? (I bought it in 2001 before GPA was around)
a beautiful copy of a certified KEY SA book. 893applaud-thumb.gif bet you got it for squat!?!?!that's a lot of resto for an amateur, but it presents very well. do you also have a HG unrestored copy in your FF collection?? i think this is the FF edition that has topped out at 9.0, so far?? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Just MHO!

ditto!!!!!!

i bought a Tec 33 (batman origin) in 7.5, a marvel mystery 4 in 8.0, a showcase 4 in 8.5, an all-american 19 (1st atom) in 9.0, and as yet graded copies of Flash 1(8.0?), all-star 3 (6.0?)and torch 3 (8.5 - 2d issue). no way i buy these at the unrestored prices sumo.gif

I would consider purchasing a restored book as long as the restoration is slight, disclosed and professional. I also wouldn't flinch at marker touches if they are tiny, unobtrusive and the price reflects the resto.

I'd avoid heavily restored frankenbooks, but to me slight resto is still 99% original parts.

I agree with Shadroch by the way, the potential for growth in decently restored books is far greater than he potential for growth in super high end CGC slabs. We've already seen high end slabs price 95% of collectors out of the market... it's only a matter of time before many slabs hit a level where only a handful of collectors can afford them and that's where they will plateau. However, a professionally restored book that can be had for a few hundred bucks has a lot of room to grow.