• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rob Liefeld's newest Cover Swipe Homage to his favorite artist - HIMSELF!

65 posts in this topic

:facepalm:

I will honestly always be astonished at how this unethical, slimy shyster continues to get work, especially when he copies and doesn't give credit and his history of questionable check-writing practices at Image which were quietly settled out-of-court.

Not to mention, his name is as big as the key word in the tagline. :facepalm::facepalm:

For those to quick to pass judgement before reading the source.

From Newsarama

Newsarama: How did you get involved in doing a Transformers cover, specifically for this big event?

Robert Liefeld: It all starts with kickstarter. i had a reward option to appear at a comic-con as well as draw a cover to any independent comic book, The guys from Virginia Comicon hit both rewards and informed me at Comic-Con that they had brokered a deal with IDW for me to do a cover for Transformers.

Nrama: This cover looks awfully familiar to fans of one of your most famous creations, the man called Cable – was the plan from the beginning to do this fun self-homage, or did it come about a particular way?

Liefeld: That was the Virginia Comicon guys who specifically requested to IDW that it be modeled after my New Mutants #87 cover. They set it all of that up. It was fun.

Nrama: What's cool and lasting about the Transformers to you that has made them stick around for almost three decades now?

Liefeld: Well, clearly they have staying power as my kids have loads of the Transformers toys and the cartoon and movies continue to do spectacular business and draw great ratings. The concept and character designs are evergreen.

From Newsarama

Newsarama: How did you get involved in doing a Transformers cover, specifically for this big event?

Robert Liefeld: It all starts with kickstarter. i had a reward option to appear at a comic-con as well as draw a cover to any independent comic book, The guys from Virginia Comicon hit both rewards and informed me at Comic-Con that they had brokered a deal with IDW for me to do a cover for Transformers.

Nrama: This cover looks awfully familiar to fans of one of your most famous creations, the man called Cable – was the plan from the beginning to do this fun self-homage, or did it come about a particular way?

Liefeld: That was the Virginia Comicon guys who specifically requested to IDW that it be modeled after my New Mutants #87 cover. They set it all of that up. It was fun.

Nrama: What's cool and lasting about the Transformers to you that has made them stick around for almost three decades now?

Liefeld: Well, clearly they have staying power as my kids have loads of the Transformers toys and the cartoon and movies continue to do spectacular business and draw great ratings. The concept and character designs are evergreen.

There's nothing to pass judgment on quickly (professionally) - most of his career is filled with examples of poor professional behavior. Anyone who spends 10 minutes researching what kind of professional he is will generally come to the same conclusion. It's really kind of sad to see someone with a history of trampling on other creators' rights by working the legal grey-areas to his advantage continue to get away with it by getting more work and media face time.

I don't like this guy and I'll always post up about why he should be ostracized clean out of the profession, even at the risk of sounding like:

3914202458_this_is_an_outrage_answer_3_xlarge.jpeg

From Newsarama

There's nothing to pass judgment on quickly (professionally) - most of his career is filled with examples of poor professional behavior. Anyone who spends 10 minutes researching what kind of professional he is will generally come to the same conclusion. It's really kind of sad to see someone with a history of trampling on other creators' rights by working the legal grey-areas to his advantage continue to get away with it by getting more work and media face time.

I don't like this guy and I'll always post up about why he should be ostracized clean out of the profession, even at the risk of sounding like:

I heard the Great Falls Comic Expo is getting Liefeld and Ryan Leaf in as signing guests. :baiting:

From Newsarama

I heard the Great Falls Comic Expo is getting Liefeld and Ryan Leaf in as signing guests. :baiting:

:roflmao:

Better lock up my medicine cabinet!

Is there out cry when Todd McFarlane swipes himself? He does it A LOT...

No, becuase he has talent.

And can draw feet.

+1

Is there out cry when Todd McFarlane swipes himself? He does it A LOT...

No, becuase he has talent.

And can draw feet.

+1

He might be able to draw feet, but can your leg do this...?

SpideyCover48_zps711bb2fa.jpg

No. I'm not Spider-man. :eyeroll:

Todd McFarlane did a whole run of homage covers in Spawn last year and about half of them are of his older Spider-Man covers. Admittingly I like his art so I bought them all but it definitely runs in the same vein. Rob Liefeld has drawn a couple covers in the 90's i liked and the cover for NM #87 is one of them so i can see why he chose that one but i'm also baffled as to how he continues to get work. Does anyone actually read Youngblood?

I always liked this cover even though Wolvies claws on his left hand are curved and the claws on his right hand are strait. Hey, he drew a foot on this one. Probably the best foot he's ever drawn. Don't stare at the cover for too long though because like most Liefeld art it will start to occur to you how terrible it is the longer you stare at it. Where's Wolvies belt? Is his outfit colored wrong? Is Wolverine raping cable like a wild... Wolverine? What's up with wolverines chest and abdomen? How many light sources are in this picture? Does Wolverine have two thumbs on his left hand? Three starbursts Rob? On one claw? Three, really? Well, I used to like this cover.

New-Mutants-93.jpg