• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

First VENOM?

32 posts in this topic

I thought it was Marvel Age, or one of the secondary spidey titles. Like a hand almost pushing him in the subway or something.

Web of Spider-Man #18 (thumbs u

But it all depends on your definition of 1st appearance. Is it when you first see any mentioning what-so-ever of Venom? Do you count Eddie Brock? Is it when he is first seen as Venom? Is it when the consensus sees the 1st appearance in ASM 300 even-though his first full in-suit appearance is the last page of 299)? Do you consider Venom the symbiote with any host ( i.e. peter being the first Venom), if so MSW 8 would be the first?

Complicated and diluted storylines leads to many definitions which leads to many opinions, and in my opinion there are many 1st's as illogical as that seems, but only because it isn't cut and dry, it's not like BOOM here's Venom in ASM 300 and caught everyone by surprise. Instead they sneak (his arm) in some mysterious storyline about pushing Peter into a train in WoS and ease him into mainstream with 298 and 299.

Jerome

Yes in that instance with Eddie Brock's hand. Its just a hand nothing more.... If there was a panel that clearly showed Eddie actually pushing Peter as in both characters in one panel then I would say different. An appendage to me doesn't seal the deal as and appearance. Just my view.

Fufat

Yea, I personally agree, I consider it a cameo, ASM 299 is the first appearance of Venom :sumo:

300 has the iconic McFarlane cover that everyone goes ape for, counting me :cloud9:

Jerome

I would agree and say 1st appearance was ASM #299, cameo with full appearance as ASM #300. Those Wed of Spider-man issues actually could have been anyone at the time. I had those issues for years before ever reading that those instances were suppose to be Venom. The arm really isn't distinguishable as Brock or anyone specific.

Ran across this issue of Comics Scene today. Is this the first look at Venom or was he promoted in other media outlets prior to his first comic appearance? It appears the publication date on this mag is March, 1988 and ASM 299 came out in April, 1988, ASM 300 in May, 1988.

v1.JPG

v2.JPG

v3.JPG

Very nice work finding this first appearance of Venom!

I still believe the Black Costume appears here first:

165037_4722613437066_1158061221_n_zpsf9754cb9.jpg

540815_4722613037056_254664044_n_zpsc7d8d675.jpg

I thought it was Marvel Age, or one of the secondary spidey titles. Like a hand almost pushing him in the subway or something.

But it all depends on your definition of 1st appearance. Is it when you first see any mentioning what-so-ever of Venom? Do you count Eddie Brock? Is it when he is first seen as Venom? Is it when the consensus sees the 1st appearance in ASM 300 even-though his first full in-suit appearance is the last page of 299)? Do you consider Venom the symbiote with any host ( i.e. peter being the first Venom), if so MSW 8 would be the first?

Complicated and diluted storylines leads to many definitions which leads to many opinions, and in my opinion there are many 1st's as illogical as that seems, but only because it isn't cut and dry, it's not like BOOM here's Venom in ASM 300 and caught everyone by surprise. Instead they sneak (his arm) in some mysterious storyline about pushing Peter into a train in WoS and ease him into mainstream with 298 and 299.

Jerome

Even though we see Brock's hand and not the black suit, Brock and the Alien Suit had already joined to form the symbiote Venom (for me, Venom = Brock/Suit), explaining why he didn't trigger Spidey's Spider Sense. At the very least, it's the first "mention" of Venom.

2c

Jerome

Yes in that instance with Eddie Brock's hand. Its just a hand nothing more.... If there was a panel that clearly showed Eddie actually pushing Peter as in both characters in one panel then I would say different. An appendage to me doesn't seal the deal as and appearance. Just my view.

Fufat

Yea, I personally agree, I consider it a cameo, ASM 299 is the first appearance of Venom :sumo:

300 has the iconic McFarlane cover that everyone goes ape for, counting me :cloud9:

Jerome

Jer,

I completely agree with this . . . unless I come across a stack of NM/MT WOS 18s . . . :grin: