• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What Was Your First SA Book? Still got her?

86 posts in this topic

Kewl stories...

First SA book I ever owned was a 15-cent Jimmy Olsen. I was 4 or 5, and my dad got it for me at a diner in Bethel, CT. (Diners, selling comic books - my, how the world has changed!)

Second SA book was a Dell Woody Woodpecker purchased at an antique shop in Kent Falls, CT, for (I think) $1. Interestingly, it had "Knutson," my mother's maiden name, written at the top of the front cover. It was from 1957 or '58. I showed it to her, and she said she thought it was from her and her siblings' collection when they were kids...weird!

Third SA book was TTA 57, at age 10 (1974). Totally beat up, and someone took a ballpoint pen to the cover and gave Spidey a moustache... but it was the first SA book I got after really starting to collect. My dad got it for $1. Still have that one!

DD #43, bought while on a trip to L.A when I was 13. I was travelling alone, and looking for some comics for the plane ride back, and saw it on the wall for $12. The Kirby Cap Vs. DD cover was captivating. It was actually quite high grade, and would probably grade out to a NM 9.4. I remember thinking that it looked like it just came off of the stands.

It's gone now. I sold it 2 years later when I was 15 to get some beer money. I got $20 for it, and I'd now pay 15X that amount if I could get that exact copy back. frown.gif

893naughty-thumb.gif15 years old?

High school was fun....plus, it's only 4 years away from doing it legally with a fully nude stripper on your lap. (Although, I was doing that at 17 grin.gif) God bless Canada. cloud9.gif

how's this for a "first" SA purchase.

i was eight years old at the time and had yet to move to Orange NJ (where i found Jades/Sid's Luncheonette). there was a newly opened candy store around the corner on Cambridge street in East Orange, NJ named Jimmie's.

i remember buying a book that had this guy dressed in a cool red outfit running off the page across what looked like movie film. it wasn't until many years later that i confirmed that the book did exist (mine has disappeared in the move to Orange) and was actually the VERY first book of the Silver Age, Showcase #4 with the origin of the new Flash.

i have since purchased a beautifully restored copy which was graded 8.5 by CGC. cloud9.gif

Are you going to sell it to Metro? tongue.gif

My first silver age books were:

Fantastic Four #57

X-Men #59

Amazing Spider-Man #86 and

Avengers #56

I have copies of all of them now, but not the same ones I had as a kid. I got these books along with some early bronze stuff in a trade for my complete sets of 1977 and 1978 Topps baseball cards. 27_laughing.gif

Although probably not from a monetary standpoint, each of those books (except maybe the Avengers #56 which was ho hum) was worth losing all of those baseball cards. I read, re-read, and re-re-read all of those books so many times that the reason I don't have them anymore is probably because they disintegrated from repeated reading. cloud9.gif

I didn't start buying comics till about 1970 or 71 so I just missed the Silver Age. I didn't buy any back issues for a while after that, when I realized I really liked the older comics better than the stuff on the rack at the supermarket.

I learned to read before I started kindergarten by reading my brother's comic books, which I "inherited" once he discovered girls. He had Hulk 102, Spider-Man 85 and 86, Marvel Tales 25 with the first two parts of the super-classic Master Planner arc (it was YEARS before I go ahold of "The Final Chapter" to find out how Spidey got out from under all that heavy machinery!), and a bunch of other stuff. I don't have them cuz I used to trade comics with another group of kids in my small Illinois home town and my first MAJOR trade was acquiring Marvel Tales Annual #2.

I had to offer up a lot of stuff, but all those origins were worth it!!

One of the first back issue purchases I ever made was a Marvel Feature #1 sold by a local used books shop with the top third of the cover torn off. I bought it for a dime, and when I got home I got in MAJOR trouble from my dad for paying 10 whole cents for a comic with the cover partly torn off. He hated comic books, and absolutely begrudged me for buying them. I have no idea why.

The best purchase I ever made was going to a garage sale with the proverbial box of old comics. I remember it like yesterday. I picked up Fantastic Four 25 and 26, Daredevil 25, Showcase 34, Strange Tales 113 and 117, Spider-Man 15, 16, and 22, and Spider-Man Annual #1. They were a dime each and I only had a dollar to my name. I tried to talk my older sister into loaning me $10 because that's how much they would sell the whole big box for. She thought I was crazy to want to spend 10 whole dollars on a bunch of stupid comics. And true to form, I got in major trouble (grounded I believe) for "wasting" 1 dollar on a bunch of comics, especially the Spider-Man Annual 1 which had no cover....

Them wuz the days

cloud9.gif

First Silver Age comic I bought was Amazing Spider-Man #6 - paid 12 cents for it ... off the rack. I still have it (VG). My mom ran a newstand and I went there everyday after school. All the comics were on shelves, so no "spinner rack" creases. I even got first pick when she opened up the bundles of new books. Fresh. I quickly branched out to other titles and was hooked ... a collector was born. yay.gif

how's this for a "first" SA purchase.

i was eight years old at the time and had yet to move to Orange NJ (where i found Jades/Sid's Luncheonette). there was a newly opened candy store around the corner on Cambridge street in East Orange, NJ named Jimmie's.

i remember buying a book that had this guy dressed in a cool red outfit running off the page across what looked like movie film. it wasn't until many years later that i confirmed that the book did exist (mine has disappeared in the move to Orange) and was actually the VERY first book of the Silver Age, Showcase #4 with the origin of the new Flash.

i have since purchased a beautifully restored copy which was graded 8.5 by CGC. cloud9.gif

Are you going to sell it to Metro? tongue.gif

nah - i'm gonna keep that one for a while and wait for the mega Flash movie...... grin.gif plus, i doubt that they'd make it worth my while......

What a great start! You actually went back 10 years in a time machine to start off like that! Excellent! thumbsup2.gif

I got pretty lucky, for sure. I've told the story, but here it is again.....I had recently started collecting comics (Peter Parker, Peter Porker, Amazing Spidey, Web of Spidey), and my closest uncle told me that he used to read lots of comics back in the 60's. There was a comci shop around us, but my parent's had never taken me. He offered one day to take me to the shop (it was called "Collector's World). I was super excited and went to the store armed with my allowance. My uncle had told me about the awesome adventures of his childhood favorite, The Fantastic Four, so I was set on getting some old FF's. He told me that the issues with the Silver Surfer were his favorites, so I started picking out issues with the Surfer on the cover. I think I can even recall the prices I paid for each issue:

#57 - $3.50

#72 - $4.75

#74 - $4.50

#84 - $4.00

A few other issues I picked up that day:

ASM #154 (this book is now in Chrom's collection)

Werewolf by Night #5 (still have this one)

Werewolf by Night #21 (still have this one too)

Obviously, my first trip to the comic shop left a lasting impression. smile.gif

The very first comic I bought off a store rack for a dime was BATMAN #109. That was back in '57 and I still have it today. Never got rid of it. It was the start of my comic buying. The start of my Batman collecting. Before that I would read(probably look through because I was to young to read) my older brothers and sisters comics. And I still have those too. Majority of the books I have were originally in my family. Being the youngest, the books kind of found thier way to me. The BATMAN #109 had Batman & Robin on the cover wearing glider wings and jet packs flying around trying to catch jewel thief pigeons. To me as a kid that was a cool cover. I still kind a like it today.

BTW; That issue also had a story with one of Batman's old villains that was popular back then, Dragon Fly. He kind of faded away over the years. He was a pretty good villain back then. Never hear about him anymore.

Can you provide an image?

If someone would host my scan of that comic. I can not put photos on the boards thanks to AOL. Email me and I'll reply with a scan of that issue so it can be shown on this thread. I'll reply when I get home tonight. Sorry for the long wait.

Great thread, guys.

I don't remember which one was first, but my three earliest silver age purchases (in the mid-80's) were low to mid-grade copies of ASM #4, ST Ann. #2 and TOS #71. The only one I still own is the TOS #71, which is about a GD/VG or VG- due to heavy spine wear.

I sold the Strange Tales Ann. #2 years ago, and never truly appreciated what a great book it was until much more recently. I don't think I ever read the reprint backup stories, just the Spidey/Torch crossover. What was I thinking?!?!? foreheadslap.gif