• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's the WORST comic buying decision you ever made???

122 posts in this topic

I bought a PGX Avengers 1 2.0 I cracked it out and all the pages were completely split. What an effin mess.

Well, he wasn't exaggerating...the proper description of that book was a big #2.

Just a side note on that Mutt & Jeff lot.

I pulled them out today. Two of the books are coverless. Until today I thought they were all Mutt & Jeff books. Only today did I realize and figure out that one of the coverless books is an All-American Comics #87. :o

I don't think I've ever had a bad purchase.

You are one lucky dude. When you have to purchase things via mail by scans and not holding it close-up, your bad purchase mojo goes up exponentially.

How about 100 copies of THIS:

46lmc.jpg

:roflmao:

I mean: "WOW! What a great investment."

:baiting:

You are one lucky dude. When you have to purchase things via mail by scans and not holding it close-up, your bad purchase mojo goes up exponentially.

46lmc.jpg

:roflmao:

I mean: "WOW! What a great investment."

:baiting:

It was the only way to get the limited, gold foil, signed, platinum edition!! :preach:

Buying tons of "Near Mint" GA Batman comics in the eighties from Dupcake at full market value. Although if I still had them, they'd be worth a lot more now, and I loved them at the time, restored or not. Another bad decision: passing up on a Tec 31 at the local Comic Investments in GVG for 150 bucks in 1988, even though I had the money in my pocket.

Not buying golden age in the eighties... not buying any comics in the nineties... buying mostly bronze age in the early 2000s...

There are a couple of things I've sold that I still weep over :( My 9.8 Dave Stevens collection... My CGC 8.0 Thun'da #1... My Frazetta SS Vampirellas... My Batman #232 CGC SS 9.2...

All were sold because of financial issues, but still :(

Pretty much all the drek I bought in the 90's. Back then I pretty much bought it if it was put out by marvel or dc. I finally got ride of it all for about $.12 per book. While I was getting ride of them I was just blown away with how much money I threw away back then.

Pretty much all the drek I bought in the 90's. Back then I pretty much bought it if it was put out by marvel or dc. I finally got ride of it all for about $.12 per book. While I was getting ride of them I was just blown away with how much money I threw away back then.

But so what? Did you like the comics? Does every penny spent need to be an investment?

Not a buying story, but in the late 80's when I owned my store I would frequently trade the higher value comics I got in (FF #1, ASM #1-5, early 'Tec's and Actions) for an "equal value" of smaller comics that I could actually sell in my store. Whatever was "hot" at the time. I imagine I wasn't the only one doing that in the days before the internet though.

But so what? Did you like the comics? Does every penny spent need to be an investment?

Yes I love comics. However for whatever reason I ended up drinking the "gotta buy this now" kool aid flavored water and towards the end of the 90's I was just on autopilot and buying just to be buying. No enjoyment at that time.

It was in 99 that I took a ten year break from comics. Even now I don't buy new stuff anymore. Copper and older is it for me (barring a few things). Having lived through the 90's I can truly appreciate the gold, silver, and bronze I have now.

Yes I love comics. However for whatever reason I ended up drinking the "gotta buy this now" kool aid flavored water and towards the end of the 90's I was just on autopilot and buying just to be buying. No enjoyment at that time.

It was in 99 that I took a ten year break from comics. Even now I don't buy new stuff anymore. Copper and older is it for me (barring a few things). Having lived through the 90's I can truly appreciate the gold, silver, and bronze I have now.

Bummer...sounds like you were even kinda regretting it while you were buying. :(

46lmc.jpg

I bought 50 copies of this book because I had a pinup page in it. Unfortunately, my career in comics didn't take off, so my first pro work ended up being worth about 33¢. At least I got to buy them wholesale. lol

967379.jpg