• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

EBay purchases returned.

19 posts in this topic

I was wondering. What percentage of your comic books purchased on EBay do you wind up returning to the seller. This can be due to the book being damaged during shipping, overgrading, delayed shipping, etc.?

To be honest, I've made over 600 comic book purchases on EBay, and have only returned one package. I would say that 20% of the time I'm dissatisfied with the book, but wind up chalking it up to experience and move on. I just don't feel like going through the hassle of returning overgraded books.

I would say that is about the same for me. I have made a few hundred purchases and have returned 3-4 things. I would say I am not satisfied about 1/3 of the time, but I still average 35-50% of guide on my buys due to being picky and allowing for the EBay overgrade. Here is one I am going to return shortly. I though I got a sweet sweet deal on this, since it appeared to be F/VF from the scans and I only paid $14. Unfortunately it was F/VF....due mostly to all the creases being filled in with various felt pens foreheadslap.gifmakepoint.gif Here is a scan:

10-08-2004034411PM.jpg

Oh well, the search goes on!

I perform a routine procedure on all auction pior to my bidding or eventually win. First I ask to see a larger resolution of the 'ungraded' comic. Second I ask them how they package their comics and delivery service and finally if they take back any return due over grading or poor packaging. But so far for me I have been preety good with my stuff!! 893crossfingers-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gif

>>> What percentage of your comic books purchased on EBay do

>>> you wind up returning to the seller?

50 %

I'm not kidding. There was a period in early 2003 when I bought 12 different

items (old magazines, pulps, postcards, and comics). I ended up returning

6 of them.

That's why for comics, I'm pretty much only interested in slabbed books.

>>> I perform a routine procedure on all auction pior to my bidding

I think that's smart. I've started doing the same thing. At a minimum, I usually

email and ask what their return policy is. I also quiz sellers on the condition

of books and ask a bunch of specific questions on condition. You learn a lot

about a seller by his/her response.

Unless they're friendly, informative, and have a rational return policy, I'm not

going to bid.

Now that I ask questions, my return rate has gotten a lot more normal.

(BTW, pulp sellers are just as prone to exaggeration as comic sellers)

I've seen a lot of complaints here on the boards from buyers about situations

that would not have happened _IF_ the buyer had asked some questions first.

gozer

------------------------------

I'm still not sure how he caused the meltdown. There wasn't

any nuclear material in the truck!

I think if you take the time and DON'T TRY TO TALK YOURSELF INTO BELIEVING ITS A GOOD AUCTION, you will come out just fine. I think I have about 150 purchases off Ebay and have returned only one Item. A horribly overgraded X-Men 95. The seller was really not a comic person, but did give a failry detained description which turned out to be a tad misleading. Matter was resolved fairly easily.

Its good to take a chance now and then, but rarely on Raw HG proclaimed books - comic-keys is not the only one trust me.

Whether you return the book(s) in question or not, I hope you people are leaving neg and neutral fb as appropriate...?

If you're hanging onto a book because it's not worth the hassle and/or expense to return the overgraded POS, do the rest of us eBay buyers a favor and leave at least a neutral fb, stating the degree of overgrading. After all, if a previous buyer had done the same, you wouldn't have been stuck with the book(s) in question in the first place...

DO NOT BE AFRAID - retaliatory negs are gonna happen, and:

- they don't actually leave physical scars in most cases

- no seller is going to deny you a purchase because you have a neg or three (money talks)

- eBay negs do not appear on your permanent citizenship record (now, if Bush is re-elected, this might change...)

I've had a lot of luck lately with price adjustments. People don't want returns and often gladly give partial refunds. I don't try to rob anyone, but I simply say, "this is overgraded, I would pay this much. If that's not satisfactory, I'll return it." Probably on 2/3 of auctions I win.

I perform a routine procedure on all auction pior to my bidding or eventually win. First I ask to see a larger resolution of the 'ungraded' comic. Second I ask them how they package their comics and delivery service and finally if they take back any return due over grading or poor packaging. But so far for me I have been preety good with my stuff!! 893crossfingers-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gif

I always ask for a bigger front and back cover scan. If I don't receive it, I usually won't bid or will bid very low.

I purchase insurance on everything so I don't ask too much about how they pack their comics although I probably should.

I would say that is about the same for me. I have made a few hundred purchases and have returned 3-4 things. I would say I am not satisfied about 1/3 of the time, but I still average 35-50% of guide on my buys due to being picky and allowing for the EBay overgrade.

I have almost exactly the same modus operandi. I buy high grade raw comics for cheap and frequent sellers who know how to grade tightly. I've only returned 2 or 3 things in 5 years.

The whole eBay overgrade allowance has been applied to most all comic sellers, but not always appropriately.

Showcase New England typically gets CGC prices for raw books, but MANY forumites have had bad experiences with their overgrading. 893naughty-thumb.gif

Alternately, there are a few sellers who I buy from who grade very tightly, but don't get high prices due to the spectre of the "eBay Overgrading Allowance" (rule of thumb... NM = VFNM, Mint = NM, etc).

Isn't it more like ebay VF = "real" VG?

I've had a "NM+" = VG

(And the seller wouldn't reply to email to let me return it.) foreheadslap.gifChristo_pull_hair.gif

"I'm not an expert, but I would grade this book to be VG/NM for it's age!"

That's not too uncommon for Ebay! devil.gif

Isn't it more like ebay VF = "real" VG?

I've had a "NM+" = VG

(And the seller wouldn't reply to email to let me return it.) foreheadslap.gifChristo_pull_hair.gif

"I'm not an expert, but I would grade this book to be VG/NM for it's age!"

That's not too uncommon for Ebay! devil.gif

I've seen the VG/NM comment, too. Let's face it.... some comic sellers are scum. You scrap them off your shoe and do your business with somebody who wants it (ie solid grading, good customer service).

I think you guys buy more Silver Age where there's more profit in lying about condition. I buy BA/CA books that are less than $50 usually, so grading isn't off as much. Plus these books have been kept in better condition than SA.

Whether you return the book(s) in question or not, I hope you people are leaving neg and neutral fb as appropriate...?

If you're hanging onto a book because it's not worth the hassle and/or expense to return the overgraded POS, do the rest of us eBay buyers a favor and leave at least a neutral fb, stating the degree of overgrading.

I totaly agree with you on this ! My biggest pet pee is not really over grading but its the methods in when people ship my comics to me. If I don't get my books shipped in a box, the highest feed back someone will get from me is a Neutral feed back. I'm not a unfair person and understand a box may cost more. Since this could run more I email the person with my shipping info and request a new shipping total. If after I get an agreement from the person I save the email(s) on my PC until I get the comics in. If they did not comply with what we agreeed on its a negitive feed back for sure. My attitude is brought about by several bent books by people who just stick them in a plain manilla envolope with zero packing. I mean one came that wasn't even taped shut...you could just undo the brad ( I think thats what its called ) and slide the books out 893censored-thumb.gif

That's why for comics, I'm pretty much only interested in slabbed books.

I have started shifting towards Slabbs my self for a number of reasons. One is because I'm a amature and don't really know much on how to grade books that well. The other is when I have a book shipped to me I know its better protected than some of the raw booxs I get frown.gif

Out of the last 100 transactions, only 1 I returned. blush.gif

Good numbers, but how many new "buyers" are you spending money with? I sell to you with some regualrity and you seem to buy in some volume, thanks by the way!

I try and buy from people whom I know I can trust. it's a [!@#%^&^] shoot on ebay. Good sellers are hard to find and people will pay more for some of their books than books from a stranger with questionabe credentials.

I have only bought from Showcase once, yes the book was a tad overgraded, but I can see why he gets more for his books than others do. He does have some nice books and people are happy most of the time. Sometimes all you have to do is get close to the "pin" to score.....

I am sending back five books I just won. They were advertised as NM and they say VG on the bags, the seller claims he had a dealer grade them for him. The dealer must be blind. Either way I do not keep them, I send them back.