• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The first KEY book you acquired

106 posts in this topic

My first keys were Batman 232(which was purchased for me before I was old enough to read it), and ASM 121 and 122 from the spinner rack at 7-11. The first key book I purchased when I was old enough to buy GA/SA was probably ASM 14.

The first key book I owned (not sure if it is truly key), was Marvel Two-In-One #1, with that incredible cover of Thing vs. Man-Thing. I was hooked. My mother bought it for me from the grocery store and I could not even read yet, but it must have been read 1,000 times. At some point when the cover separated, (probably when I was 6), I put about six staples in it. It is a beautiful wreck! Still one of my most prized books. :cloud9: The most recent key I purchased was Hulk #2 (if first green skinned Hulk is key), and I felt like that kid again when I was looking at it.

The first key book I owned (not sure if it is truly key), was Marvel Two-In-One #1, with that incredible cover of Thing vs. Man-Thing. I was hooked. My mother bought it for me from the grocery store and I could not even read yet, but it must have been read 1,000 times. At some point when the cover separated, (probably when I was 6), I put about six staples in it. It is a beautiful wreck! Still one of my most prized books. :cloud9: The most recent key I purchased was Hulk #2 (if first green skinned Hulk is key), and I felt like that kid again when I was looking at it.

That is great :) I think that any book that ignites that kind of passion turns it into a key book, maybe not moneywise or collectible wise, but if you loved it, it makes it special

I bought my first key about two years ago, an ASM 1, 3.5 from Sparklecity. I bought it because I remembered seeing ASM1 featured in Mile High ads in late 80s comic books for $1,000. As a kid it might as well have been the holy grail and cost a million dollars.

When the package finally arrived, and I opened it, there was this huge rush of endorphins. I've been chasing that high since. Although I now have some "nicer" books I will never part with that one.

First comic I ever bought at the age of 6 was FF 112.

Bought multiple copies of Hulk 181 off the spinner racks at age 9. Bought the first copy and went home and read it, then went back and bought the rest of the copies knowing the character would generate some interest. My fellow classmates would surely want this book was my thought process at the time. Sure loved having my paper route in those days. :)

Bought multiple copies of Xmen 94

Bought multiple copies of Hulk 181 off the spinner racks at age 9. Bought the first copy and went home and read it, then went back and bought the rest of the copies knowing the character would generate some interest. My fellow classmates would surely want this book was my thought process at the time. Sure loved having my paper route in those days. :)

Ahh, to be old and wise. The first key I bought was Wolverine 50 from the LCS at age 10. I knew that due to the clawed front cover gimmick that it would appreciate into a family heirloom. Best decision of my life.

First key i bought was a CGC 5.5 AF 15 about 8 years ago. After that I bought TOS 39, Xmen 1 and other silver age keys. All in mid grade. I did not have the foresight to buy high grade. :)

Ahh, to be old and wise. The first key I bought was Wolverine 50 from the LCS at age 10. I knew that due to the clawed front cover gimmick that it would appreciate into a family heirloom. Best decision of my life.

hmlol

Well while I seemed to have good sense as to what books to acquire when I was younger I read the heck out of them so the copies of the books I bought as a kid were low grade.

I've told this story before but I guess one more retelling here isn't unwarranted. Back in 1963, when I first started buying Marvel Super-hero comics off the stands, I wrote a letter to Marvel inquiring about any back issues they had for sale. The list they sent me only contained one comic I needed, FF Annual #1. I sent in my .35 and a short while later received it, my first key book bought as a back issue.