• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The first KEY book you acquired

106 posts in this topic

I've told this story before but I guess one more retelling here isn't unwarranted. Back in 1963, when I first started buying Marvel Super-hero comics off the stands, I wrote a letter to Marvel inquiring about any back issues they had for sale. The list they sent me only contained one comic I needed, FF Annual #1. I sent in my .35 and a short while later received it, my first key book bought as a back issue.

That's pretty cool. :applause: I have several S.A. DC book's, where readers inquire about back issues in letters to the editor. The usual response was they did not carry back issues, however in some cases the editor listed other readers who had books, so they could be contacted. IIRC.

I've told this story before but I guess one more retelling here isn't unwarranted. Back in 1963, when I first started buying Marvel Super-hero comics off the stands, I wrote a letter to Marvel inquiring about any back issues they had for sale. The list they sent me only contained one comic I needed, FF Annual #1. I sent in my .35 and a short while later received it, my first key book bought as a back issue.

My friend Lewis acqired an ASM 29 through Marvel the same way. They didn't do this for very long. He even kept the letter that came with it..... signed by Flo (mega-hottie) Steinberg...... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

The first key bought off the news stand would have been ASM #300, but the first Silver Age key would have been ASM #15 in 9.2 grade. Funny thing about that, I started off with Spider-man books and now don't even collect any of his books for many years now.

I used to go to this flea market back in the early 70's and look for back issues I had missed. Found an Iron Man number 1 for 10 dollars now that was alot of mowing money for me back then but I couldn't let it pass so I spent all the money I had on me to get it, sure glad I did. The very next week the same guy saw me back at the market and he says hey kid your the one who bought that Iron Man last week and I said yes and he says I didn't want to sale that one it was an accident and he wanted to buy it back from me for eleven dollars I said no way sorry and still have it to this day :cloud9: