• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NYCC Adlard: WHAT THE HECK?!?!?

147 posts in this topic

One problem we saw at the CGC booth was that we were mistakenly informed that there'd be an Adlard signing Thursday evening which would eligible for SS. We'd given out this information to a bunch of people before Adlard's rep informed us that no SS would be allowed for that particular signing.

I really hope this isn't the model he's going to adopt for future shows - it's one thing to limit SS for a specific creator to private signings throughout the show; this is what CGC is now doing with Kirkman and it worked great at NYCC. It got the dealers out of the public signing lines, and allowed Joe Schmoe who didn't want to wait 3 hours in line an easy way to get a couple of books signed. It's a win all around.

But ... telling people that you won't sign a single thing for SS during the entire show because you want to make sure you have time for the "real" fans is lame & disrespectful. Particularly when any regular convention goer (eg. somebody who's not a member of this board) would have had no way of knowing that that was going to be the case.

Why were you surprised?

You obviously read EvilAsh's thread, you were the first one to post a response. (shrug) It specifically said that he would not be doing any other SS signings at the show.

Surprised about what?

CGC was told that there'd be a SS eligible signing Thursday evening - which they relayed to customers coming up the booth. It turned out to not be the case.

It's got nothing to do with EvilAsh's thread :shrug:

(shrug)

This quote from the thread seemed to be pretty clear in the fact that there weren't going to be ANY other SS eligible signings. Since you saw the thread, I wouldn't think you would have been surprised by the fact that there weren't going to be anymore SS signings.

**This will be the ONLY way to get Charlie Adlard SS at NYCC 13**

Due to his convention schedule Charlie has asked that all SS for NYCC is handled at a pre-arranged private signing. This will allow Charlie to spend time with fans at the show and get all our SS needs handled in a controlled environment. This signing will be held off site before the convention.

CGC will not certify any signatures by Charlie unless they get done during this private signing. This signing is in coordination with and on behalf of Hero Initiative. Neither Hero Initiative nor Skybound will be submitting any Charlie Adlard SS books independently of our signing. As per Charlie's request we will be doing one signing before the show starts for SS.

I don't know how much clearer I can be - CGC was informed that the Thursday night signing would be eligible for SS. It was even printed on the SS cheat-sheets CGC brought with them to NYCC and handed out to their customers.

EvilAsh isn't Adlard's art rep - he's not the one who set up the rules for Adlard's signings at NYCC.

Yer facts ain't preciated around dees parts, hmmmmkaaayyy

Fingh is legend

Equal parts :facepalm: and :whee:

Ha - As soon as he said that, the first thought that entered my mind was that he knew the sadfan story.

One problem we saw at the CGC booth was that we were mistakenly informed that there'd be an Adlard signing Thursday evening which would eligible for SS. We'd given out this information to a bunch of people before Adlard's rep informed us that no SS would be allowed for that particular signing.

I really hope this isn't the model he's going to adopt for future shows - it's one thing to limit SS for a specific creator to private signings throughout the show; this is what CGC is now doing with Kirkman and it worked great at NYCC. It got the dealers out of the public signing lines, and allowed Joe Schmoe who didn't want to wait 3 hours in line an easy way to get a couple of books signed. It's a win all around.

But ... telling people that you won't sign a single thing for SS during the entire show because you want to make sure you have time for the "real" fans is lame & disrespectful. Particularly when any regular convention goer (eg. somebody who's not a member of this board) would have had no way of knowing that that was going to be the case.

:applause: My point exactly.

Maybe if you would have told the art rep you were a true collector, and the 25 copies you were getting CGC SS'd were for your grand kids, he would have worked with you. Noob.

If you have a problem with people selling comics for a profit you came to the wrong place chump.

And if you're so thin-skinned that you get butt-hurt about missing out on SS chances when the info was in the SS forum weeks in advance, you're in the wrong place. Chump. (thumbs u

:P

It was not there, those posts were edited after the fact.

If the information had been there in the first place I would have been disappointed but not upset.

You guys are really quick with the insults when you don't have your facts straight.

Well I know of one facilitator who had had books signed by Charlie at the Hero's booth during the show. Charlie knew that they were for CGC and so did Hero's so maybe the blanket - "only at this private signing before the show" in that other sales/announcement thread was incorrect in the first place. From what I understand Artist trumps Handlers.

(shrug)

worms_zps5a88a881.jpg

My friend conducted an interview with Peter David at NYCC and a variety of topics came up. During the course of the interview, PD mentioned a children's book that he had written. After the interview my friend bought a copy and asked if he would be willing to sign it. PD asked if he should inscribe it, "To eBay"

Link?

My friend conducted an interview with Peter David at NYCC and a variety of topics came up. During the course of the interview, PD mentioned a children's book that he had written. After the interview my friend bought a copy and asked if he would be willing to sign it. PD asked if he should inscribe it, "To eBay"

Link?

It was after the interview.

Link?

It was after the interview.

Yep. Reading comprehension fail on my end.

For people to say that this is about profit, collusion to beat to the market, etc. etc. etc. is all heresay right now. Adlard DID want to have large signings done out of the way so he could spend more time with fans to meet, sign books, etc. It was the same at Emerald City.

Here's my problem. According to Adlard, all the money raised through the signing was supposed to go to the Hero Initiative. So this raises the question: Did $20 per book ALL go to Hero or did someone pocket any of it.

I spoke to Charlie in Seattle and he's a great guy who loves the Hero Initiative. If this WAS done for profit, collusion, etc I don't think Charlie had any part of it and I don't think he'd be happy about it if that was the case.

Maybe someone should ask him if he knows that people are upset and ask what happened instead of just throwing out wild assumptions.

For people to say that this is about profit, collusion to beat to the market, etc. etc. etc. is all heresay right now. Adlard DID want to have large signings done out of the way so he could spend more time with fans to meet, sign books, etc. It was the same at Emerald City.

Here's my problem. According to Adlard, all the money raised through the signing was supposed to go to the Hero Initiative. So this raises the question: Did $20 per book ALL go to Hero or did someone pocket any of it.

I spoke to Charlie in Seattle and he's a great guy who loves the Hero Initiative. If this WAS done for profit, collusion, etc I don't think Charlie had any part of it and I don't think he'd be happy about it if that was the case.

Maybe someone should ask him if he knows that people are upset and ask what happened instead of just throwing out wild assumptions.

I have every confidence that some of the money did go to Heroes Initiattive but for larger quantities of books the donation drops from $20 to lesser amounts as low as $10 per book depending on how many books are purchased. If you saw EvilAsh's sales thread the profit per book above what Diamond / Image was charging to retailers for raw books was much higher. So Hero's initiative did benefit but it would seem that less than half of the profit went to them.

No one had a gun to Charlie's head but Skybound managed to obtain a monopoly on Adlard signature series books for any exclusives sold at the show. I am sure he felt good about the reasons he had to make the deal but just seems to have bad idea written all over it. The botched announcements just made a bad situation worse IMHO.

If I'm that guy who is a fan of the book/show and have only have the opportunity to attend my hometown NYCC shouldn't I be able to have the opportunity to bring or purchase books at the show and get them signed by the creators for CGC?

Maybe I don't know anything about the boards and exclusive sig opps. Maybe I just want something for myself. How many people got turned away because of this?

Is this fair to the fan as well?

If I'm that guy who is a fan of the book/show and have only have the opportunity to attend my hometown NYCC shouldn't I be able to have the opportunity to bring or purchase books at the show and get them signed by the creators for CGC?

Maybe I don't know anything about the boards and exclusive sig opps. Maybe I just want something for myself. How many people got turned away because of this?

This is BEAMING with common sense (worship)

This is BEAMING with common sense (worship)

AMEN!

Yes you should, why go otherwise?

Many people were turned away.

Not fair at all, hence bad idea.