• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ever been denied a purchase of 2 of the same $3 book at a LCS?

96 posts in this topic

yea i agree with everyone. i wouldve left as well, especially since the prices are right around what you can expect to pay for those issues elsewhere. i dont get why they would give up business like that. not like the issues were hot or anything like that. just doesnt make logical sense to me.

I find this type of attitude in comic book shops lately to be more of the norm instead of the exception. What I find confusing is that I would imagine it is hard to make a profit in a physical store with all of the online alternatives out there. Why in the heck would you want to discourage a good customer knowing you might lose thousands a year in purchases. You should find out if he is the owner and if he is not, let the owner know how you felt. If he is the owner, I would spread your story to anyone in the area that will listen.

I find this type of attitude in comic book shops lately to be more of the norm instead of the exception. What I find confusing is that I would imagine it is hard to make a profit in a physical store with all of the online alternatives out there. Why in the heck would you want to discourage a good customer knowing you might lose thousands a year in purchases. You should find out if he is the owner and if he is not, let the owner know how you felt. If he is the owner, I would spread your story to anyone in the area that will listen.

I am pretty sure the owner doesn't work on Mondays.

I could be wrong but I was in late last week and he told me that himself.

We discussed him buying some of my CGC books

Was the person who checked you out the owner?

no, I just googled it up, it was a different guy.

In the basement level where back issues are kept another clerk helped me find a brilliant slabbed JIM #83 copy in their cgc cases. great cover. and awesome issue. I almost bit.

but I needed to think on it.

hehe I was there to take a gander at a Daredevel #1 cgc 2.5 they had listed on their website and most definitely maybe bite... but it turned out they had already sold it :(

It was just a strange feeling... and I know these bigger brand canned shops with loads of silver/bronze cgc keys etc.. are getting more popular but its good to hear from you guys that most don't share the same sentiment.

Its a good thing for everyone invlolved, Several of the bigger Local/national Comic Stores across the states are focusing on online business, and being absolutely educated on keys!

But don't do this at the expense of me, when I come into your shop looking for a Web of Spiderman 119 because I like to READ the book!!!!!

Don't forget that its the true fans of comic book literature that fueled this hobby and the brilliant minds and artists who've built it.

Don't let the dealers burn it all up....

DC comics Presents #26 7.0-7.5 (clerk said 8.0 but no way) $30

X-Force #2 7.0-8.0 $4.

X-Factor #24 7.0-8.0 $10

Web of Spiderman #118 8.0 $3.50

Web of Spiderman #119 x2 8.0, 1 was maybe 8.5 3.50 (both unbagged, missing inserts)

Web of Spiderman #120 8.0 $3,50

misc supplies. action figure holders. $6-10 or so

Since I like being contrary, I'll play devil's advocate...

Is it so odd that he refused you a deal? 1st New Teen Titans, 2nd Deadpool, 1st Archangel, and another first Spidey book. He doesn't have to deal on that, keys sell themselves. He was already put off by your "eclectic" collecting focus, and I don't doubt you were a real charmer while asking for a deal too.

:baiting:

X-Force #2 7.0-8.0 $4.

X-Factor #24 7.0-8.0 $10

Web of Spiderman #119 x2 8.0, 1 was maybe 8.5 3.50 (both unbagged, missing inserts)

Is it so odd that he refused you a deal? 1st New Teen Titans, 2nd Deadpool, 1st Archangel, and another first Spidey book. He doesn't have to deal on that, keys sell themselves. He was already put off by your "eclectic" collecting focus, and I don't doubt you were a real charmer while asking for a deal too.

To play devil's devil's advocate.

I own a shop and someone actually WANTS to buy 8.0 moderns, and any Spidey's from that God-awful clone saga (much less 8.0's), and I am giving him a discount AND putting his picture on the wall as Customer of the Month!

to be specific I asked him if they do deals on bulk purchases, not the one I was making.

We were not at a con, sir.

for those of you whom don't live in the northeast. don't attend cons,

This stuff is literally EVERYWHERE, up here in the northeast.

These books aren't that special...

Thanks society for your time!

I own a shop and someone actually WANTS to buy 8.0 moderns, and any Spidey's from that God-awful clone saga (much less 8.0's), and I am giving him a discount AND putting his picture on the wall as Customer of the Month!

no kidding, that's not exactly what i thought but along the same lines.

I was buying them for my kids to read and 'pretend' collect..

The Dc comic presents 26 was for me, I'm guilty.

I can understand comic stores limiting # of copies for hot new moderns but not for 90s back issues. A comic store is a retail establishment and should follow the logical retail model - price it's inventory and happily sell it for that price.

I would have walked out without buying.

I have had so many similar situations happen to me I can't count them anymore.

In most cases I just shop elsewhere, sometimes I never shop in the location again.

I have had a LCS refuse to sell me a book that was in his display case at full asking because he had "sold one of them earlier that day and that is his last copy." This is a store I frequent and buy things at weekly. I know the owner so well we play pool together and have drinks occasionally.

I have had a LCS pull a book from my file that is on my pull list so they could jack up the price due to the book getting hot. They claimed they didn't get enough copies to fill all the file orders BUT they had a copy hanging on the wall at 100 bucks behind the cash register the day the comic was released.

A local collectibles store owner asked me one day what I was looking for. I answered " an original Divine Right board game". He happened to have one, while slightly beat it was complete. At that time I had seen these games for sale sometimes on Ebay for 120-150 bucks so I offer him upper end 150. He says: " It will cost you 300.00. I know you want it, and I know you will pay that if you want it."

My tolerance for this type of behavior is zero and I just shop somewhere else.

So should you.

Sounds like few guys are OCD - anal relentless - control freaks - panic button. Anyone makes a little mess. They are freaking out! That is not a good sign for the business.

If you tried to make the deal, it ruined their day! It's always a good idea to walk away. Give us break!

I did the same thing at the local store two years ago. All comic books were stacked up badly and unorganized. I did ask for the discount. They said sure so it took me one and half hours to pick them out from the crabby pile up comic books. It was only 400 books but it was totally messy. Many books were not in a great shape. Finally, I was done with that and had about 25 books in my hands. I knew the values based on the condition of the books. Those price tags were inconsistent so I had the prices for her. She took all the books and told me that she had to follow all the price tags. I told her forget it and walked off. What a waste of time!

Thanks guys,

Instead of dwelling on the negative (I do like the store, honestly, maybe it was just the dude working there)

I took that $70 and put it towards a decent priced 3.5 cgc Journey into Mystery 85 I picked up from Greg out in maryland, a fellow member here.

A much better buy for my family and I to enjoy!

I really want to support brick and mortar stores but its strange how dealers are acting these days...

its only ok for them to speculate in their store and noone else... ??

(clearly that was the clerks motives and paranoid attitutude)

Seriously, these big brand cgc shops popping up in the big cities need to get over themselves....

I honestly feel sorry for this guy now I think about it.

X-Force #2 7.0-8.0 $4.

X-Factor #24 7.0-8.0 $10

:roflmao:

I'd do what you did, and then return every couple of days to rearrange books in the bins, dog-ear corners, and leave a few small tears in the over-graded back issues.
Why damage his stock?

Because nothing says "I'm not a completely satisfied customer" better than a little criminal vandalism! (thumbs u