• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is fair market price for this ASM sketch/sig

23 posts in this topic

Sure it would be a great piece to own, but there is no way I could justify spending this particular seller's asking price. That being said, I think it would ultimately come down to personal collecting preferences as well as the amount of income one has at their disposal. I am really curious to hear additional thoughts from other boardies.

Gotta say not a chance in hell I would ever pay that price. It's nice but not 10 Grand nice. I'm more in line with paying what TheMightyJohn quoted but could see it go for as much as the $1300 as stated as well. I guess they are banking on the nights occasion and how it is written up on the label to push the price on it.

Wish him luck, but don't see it going for that much. If you have that much disposable income to spend on it I would simply offer it to Todd and try to gain something better and more to my taste.

McFarlane does not do sketches very often for CGC certification. I bump into him at his store in Glendale every once in awhile when he comes in to sign all his toys. Todd is more than happy to sign a comic for you, but when it comes to sketches don't bring up the subject with him. The one time I asked Todd he gave me the strangest look and then says he does not do sketches for people. He went onto explain that it drives him nuts when he sees his artwork go for outrageous amounts on ebay. Todd later apologized to me and said maybe he will do a sketch later for me, but I have to promise never to sell it for profit or if he sees it on ebay or another auction site he will never do one for me again. So I could say that could go for as much as 1500 to 4000 due to rarity and subject matter. Would I pay that no, but some fool would

$500-600. McFarlane isn't as relevant as he once was and ten grand just makes me :roflmao:

Neal Adams isn't relevant either yet people pay his crazy amounts for his work be it original pages or sketches. I personally think when others ink his work (Giordano), it looks a lot better than when Adams inks it himself.

McFarlane sketches are pretty rare. His original pages go for high figures, especially if they're covers. I wouldn't pay 10K but I'd pay a low 4 figure number if I had the cash AND if it's an actual McFarlane sketch.

Neal Adams isn't relevant either yet people pay his crazy amounts for his work be it original pages or sketches. I personally think when others ink his work (Giordano), it looks a lot better than when Adams inks it himself.

Hey now, no one needs to be jumping on Neal Adams... :jokealert:

McFarlane sketches are pretty rare. His original pages go for high figures, especially if they're covers. I wouldn't pay 10K but I'd pay a low 4 figure number if I had the cash AND if it's an actual McFarlane sketch.

+1.

The one time I asked Todd he gave me the strangest look and then says he does not do sketches for people.

No Sketches for people eh? Would he be willing to do a sketch for my dog? Buster is a BIG FAN!

Or maybe he'd do a sketch for an inanimate object? Like maybe a big fan? That way he can still say he doesnt do sketches for people...

:D;)

I would see more value there if it was on a Blank spiderman cover. Given its also signed by stan I would place the value around $800 to $1000. The fact that its being sold is why Todd doesnt wanna do sketches for people. Had someone paid a commission fee to have that done then fine sell it all you want cause you paid for it, but you know Todd was just being nice that day and did it for nothing so to try to profit off the next person is wack in my book.

if he did more sketches then he wouldnt have to worry about them selling for crazy amounts of money and just charge what he feels is right. then people can get them from him and he wont see something like this selling for 10stacks

Todd is a multi millionaire. Getting money for a sketch means nothing to him. Doing something nice for a fan is the reward. Having that being sold for large amounts of money turns into a slap in the face.

I would see more value there if it was on a Blank spiderman cover. Given its also signed by stan I would place the value around $800 to $1000. The fact that its being sold is why Todd doesnt wanna do sketches for people. Had someone paid a commission fee to have that done then fine sell it all you want cause you paid for it, but you know Todd was just being nice that day and did it for nothing so to try to profit off the next person is wack in my book.

Incorrect. Todd did a sketch opportunity with DWC a few years back. DWC solicited that they'd take bids via e-mail and the highest bid got the slot (or slots). This was a controlled setting where Todd did several sketches on blanks for Signature Series. Stan was on-hand at the event and signed most (maybe all) of the Marvel-related blanks. There were a few Spider-man sketches, a few Venom sketches, 1 Green Goblin sketch, and at least 2 Spawn sketches done. At the time, ASM blanks weren't around, so most people were using Marvels Project blanks for the Marvel books and Image United for the Spawn sketches. If I'm not mistaken, there was a Jim Lee/Todd McFarlane jam book that came out of the opp.