• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Overlooked and Potentially Undervalued Long/Mid-Term
2 2

798 posts in this topic

I remember back when NM 98 hit the stands, Deadpool wasn't that big of a deal, with most of people I knew. People were much more into New Mutants/X-force due to Liefeld being involved. I was shocked coming back to comics this year and finding out that Deadpool was huge.

As for other comics from the late 90's/early 00s gaining some steam. As RMA points out, print runs are pretty low, so the conditions are right if they get noticed at some point. Not much downside to buying quality runs for a dollar a book.

But I'm glad for this thread, I didn't even know about Ellis's Stormwatch, Authority and Planetary. That all happened as I was getting out of comics back then. And even better I can probably get 'em for a dollar too.

You are in for a huge treat. I wish I could read these for the first time one more time. Ellis' run starts with Stormwatch #37 of Volume 1. It continues through the entirety of Stormwatch Volume 2 and it also includes Stormwatch/Aliens. It ends in The Authority Volume 1. I think Millar's run on The Authority should also be included. He closed out the first volume of the series. You will never look at superheroes the way after you read these books. The Authority and Planetary took liberties and shots at both Marvel's and DC's complacency imo.

The only thing I would add that you might want to read with these runs is Action Comics #775. It was DC's answer to how Superman stacks up against an Authority like group. Had his time come and gone or was he still relevant ? The Authority is my favorite series of all time but there is no question that Supes had his place even during that very tumultuous time.

Thanks for the info. Looking forward to reading it.

It's an amazing run that I wholeheartedly recommend, but it's WildC.A.T.S./Aliens (two covers, same story).

697787.jpg

doh!

Thanks for correcting that for me. That is or at least was a pretty tough book to find. (thumbs u

Edited by The Authority

And if I'm not mistaken, the people who are floating this theory are sitting on the very books we should be buying. meh

You're mistaken.

This might surprise you, but not everyone posts solely out of self-interest.

So, a straight up answer, do you have any of the books for sale you are suggesting people should be buying up?

Nope.

1. I already said that I'm not "sitting" on these books.

2. Why would I sell them if they haven't even BEGUN to achieve what I think is their potential?

Selling my ASM "Vol 2" #1-29? Why? They sell for nothing.

Deadpool #13-60? Why? They sell for nothing. Barely cover price.

But, I'll be more than happy to buy any that anyone is selling.

Deadpool (1997) issues #13-60 sell for nothing? They may be cover price in California, but I can't find any issue selling for less than $7 around here.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dead-Pool-34-by-Marvel-Comics-/151424784748?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item23419ed96c

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MARVEL-COMICS-DEADPOOL-issue-56-/261562427900?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item3ce655e9fc

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Deadpool-19-Modern-Age-Marvel-Comic-Book-1998-VF-/181517596377?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item2a434ab6d9

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Deadpool-21-Modern-Age-Marvel-Comic-Book-1998-NM-/171448452317?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item27eb1fc4dd

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Deadpool-47-Cruel-Summer-Part-2-of-3-Ananastasia-Appearance-/371135598370?hash=item566967cf22

Just random copies that sold for around cover price or less. Yes, shipping is involved for the buyer, but the seller isn't making that, and books can be, and are, combined.

That means someone wanting to sell them on eBay, and expecting any sort of money for their time, would have to buy them for 50 cents each, or less.

Meanwhile, back in 1991, a dealer could pay $5-$10-$15 for a New Mutants #88, and sell it for $25-$30...in 1991 dollars. In late 1992/early 1993, a dealer could pay $50-$75 for a Harbinger #1 and sell it for $125-$150, or $50 for a Rai #4 and sell it for $75-$80.

And, putting things in perspective, $7 is pretty much "nothing", in this era of $4-$6 cover prices. The difference between $2-$3 and $7 isn't much, in the grand scheme, unless you're selling many multiple copies.

So basically you can't find any Deadpool (1997) issues selling for less than $7 in Canada. You wrote a lot of words to essentially say, "I agree with Plantman's post, but $7 isn't much compared to current cover prices."

I have no idea. I don't live in Canada, and haven't been in Canada since 1992. I've never looked for any comic in Canada, much less Deadpool.

I "wrote a lot of words" so that my point would be clearly understood, with supporting data to back it up. That is the point of discussion, is it not?

There's a tone of orneriness around here lately. I wonder why.

hm

I am not trying to fight with you. I was trying to describe the price situation in my area and implicitly asking you if you thought Deadpool (1997) issues selling for $7 minimum were undervalued.

Someone buy these for $7 each please.

And if I'm not mistaken, the people who are floating this theory are sitting on the very books we should be buying. meh

You're mistaken.

This might surprise you, but not everyone posts solely out of self-interest.

So, a straight up answer, do you have any of the books for sale you are suggesting people should be buying up?

Nope.

1. I already said that I'm not "sitting" on these books.

2. Why would I sell them if they haven't even BEGUN to achieve what I think is their potential?

Selling my ASM "Vol 2" #1-29? Why? They sell for nothing.

Deadpool #13-60? Why? They sell for nothing. Barely cover price.

But, I'll be more than happy to buy any that anyone is selling.

Deadpool (1997) issues #13-60 sell for nothing? They may be cover price in California, but I can't find any issue selling for less than $7 around here.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dead-Pool-34-by-Marvel-Comics-/151424784748?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item23419ed96c

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MARVEL-COMICS-DEADPOOL-issue-56-/261562427900?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item3ce655e9fc

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Deadpool-19-Modern-Age-Marvel-Comic-Book-1998-VF-/181517596377?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item2a434ab6d9

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Deadpool-21-Modern-Age-Marvel-Comic-Book-1998-NM-/171448452317?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item27eb1fc4dd

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Deadpool-47-Cruel-Summer-Part-2-of-3-Ananastasia-Appearance-/371135598370?hash=item566967cf22

Just random copies that sold for around cover price or less. Yes, shipping is involved for the buyer, but the seller isn't making that, and books can be, and are, combined.

That means someone wanting to sell them on eBay, and expecting any sort of money for their time, would have to buy them for 50 cents each, or less.

Meanwhile, back in 1991, a dealer could pay $5-$10-$15 for a New Mutants #88, and sell it for $25-$30...in 1991 dollars. In late 1992/early 1993, a dealer could pay $50-$75 for a Harbinger #1 and sell it for $125-$150, or $50 for a Rai #4 and sell it for $75-$80.

And, putting things in perspective, $7 is pretty much "nothing", in this era of $4-$6 cover prices. The difference between $2-$3 and $7 isn't much, in the grand scheme, unless you're selling many multiple copies.

So basically you can't find any Deadpool (1997) issues selling for less than $7 in Canada. You wrote a lot of words to essentially say, "I agree with Plantman's post, but $7 isn't much compared to current cover prices."

I have no idea. I don't live in Canada, and haven't been in Canada since 1992. I've never looked for any comic in Canada, much less Deadpool.

I "wrote a lot of words" so that my point would be clearly understood, with supporting data to back it up. That is the point of discussion, is it not?

There's a tone of orneriness around here lately. I wonder why.

hm

I am not trying to fight with you. I was trying to describe the price situation in my area and implicitly asking you if you thought Deadpool (1997) issues selling for $7 minimum were undervalued.

There's a local dealer at one of the shows I'm friends with that I purchased a number of these deadpool books for $3 (the key issues like GI cover, ect). I passed on the rest, and last time I checked (3 months later) the books were still available.

Edited by spreads

I surrender.

I relied on over-inflated mycomicshop.com, eBay.ca, and local dealer prices which led me to falsely believe that issues 13-60 of the 1997 Deadpool series were worth more, on average, than cover price. My local situation is not representative of the pricing in the USA or Canada.

I surrender.

I relied on over-inflated mycomicshop.com, eBay.ca, and local dealer prices which led me to falsely believe that issues 13-60 of the 1997 Deadpool series were worth more, on average, than cover price. My local situation is not representative of the pricing in the USA or Canada.

We have several issues in that range that we've been unable to sell at shows for $5 apiece to people asking for Deadpool books.

All of this.

Also that DD reboot was amazing.

Marvel was doing interesting things at the time as well, but many will not see too much of a spike, I wouldn't think. They rebooted the main characters coming out of the Onslaught - Heroes Reborn (edit - maybe it was Heroes Return - i am getting old). The Iron Man and Cap were both very good. The Busiek/Perez Avengers was odd, great at times, weird at times. I liked the Jake Olsen Thor for the first 12 issues or so because of that evil Pantheon that was whupping Asgard's tail. I loved the Thunderbolts.

I wasn't reading Spider-Man. I didn't start reading the Hulk again until Bruce Jones took over. There were lots of other books that I didn't read - Reboots of Defenders, New Warriors, Nova etc. It was quite like the new 52 without the concerted effort.

The Black Panther series was good. I really liked the Mutant X book about Havok slipping into an alternate Universe where the X-Men were evil. Bernie Wrightson did a weird Punisher book where Frank Castle was killing for heaven. Marvel Boy was very interesting.

Marvel was publishing interesting books during this time frame, and they kept me interested until the rebooting after rebooting started in 2008 or so.

Edited by Real Elijah Snow

I surrender.

Never surrender.

My file LCS blows through runs of Deadpool at higher prices that what you mentioned. At shows, we get $8-$10 for the common issues from the 1997 series and it runs up from there. This past weekend I sold a slabbed 9.0 of #54 (Punisher x-over) for $60, a #4 for $20, and several others in the $8 - $10 range. We were also getting $15 and then $20 for Marvel Now #1, $8 for #2, $6 for #3-10, and $5 for everything up (except for $12 on the #27). Even the last couple issues that are still on the stands at LCSs were selling well for $5 apiece.

Mind you, we were also blowing through Death of Wolverine #1s and #2s at $6 apiece, the Deadpool DoW #1 variant at $10 and then $20, and Harley 3D at $6 then walked up to $10 apiece.

Edited by kimik

I surrender.

Never surrender.

My file LCS blows through runs of Deadpool at higher prices that what you mentioned. At shows, we get $8-$10 for the common issues and it runs up from there. This past weekend I sold a slabbed 9.0 of #54 (Punisher x-over) for $60, a #4 for $20, and several others in the $8 - $10 range. Granted, we also were getting $20 for Marvel Now #1, $8 for #2, $6 for #3-10, and $5 for everything up (except for $12 on the #27). Even the last couple issues that are still on the stands at LCSs were selling for $5 apiece.

You guys are way overpriced already....

:whistle:

But seriously, that highlights my point.

$3, $5, $7, $10....that's nothing compared to how few of these books are out there. All it would take is just some overall demand, and the books disappear.

Look, why is Spidey #50 worth $XXX in VG? The book has easily 50-100k copies of its original run still extant. It's not rare. AT ALL. It is extremely common.

And that's why, until the 1990's, these books were....yes, you guessed it: $5-$7 in "Near Mint."

Pick up an OPG from 1985, and the prices will kill you.

So why are these books worth so much? Demand outstrips supply.

If...IF...(note that word, people)...demand like this trickles down to DP as a character, those books will be in the same boat...they'll just be in a lot higher cumulative grade.

If not...hey, at least you'll know you have something that's a lot less common than almost all of the stuff printed from the 70's-1995.

But seriously, that highlights my point.

$3, $5, $7, $10....that's nothing compared to how few of these books are out there. All it would take is just some overall demand, and the books disappear.

(thumbs u

Beginning in the 1995-2000 era, newsstand circulation contracted dramatically. Cover price increases ended the days of LCSs ordering large numbers of copies of books beyond what was needed for files. In 1989, when McFarlane Spidey was really heating up, my LCS had large numbers of extra copies in the back room. Now, it's rare that an LCS could tie up that much capital.

The only thing arguing against this effect is the seeming lack of run collectors nowadays. There may never be a ton of demand for run books with no key features. Books that become keys, though...

If Power Pack were to get picked up as a television series, would there be any key issues to pick up other than #1?

I'm assuming that they wouldn't be interacting with the X-Men, so that might kill any heat for #12, #27, and UXM #195.

If Power Pack were to get picked up as a television series, would there be any key issues to pick up other than #1?

I'm assuming that they wouldn't be interacting with the X-Men, so that might kill any heat for #12, #27, and UXM #195.

That issue where Spider-man touches them inappropriately.

I think Marvel Age Annuals #1-3 have potential, with #3 having the most.

Why? Do they contain out-of-context, non story related previews of new characters?

They actually have original stories. I'm not sure if any characters are introduced, though. I'm also not sure how much potential these have to catch on.