• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

October Comiclink auction thread

83 posts in this topic

So for all you Big Ballers who are going in BIG into next month's auctions which I'll likely avoid, can you tell me what, if any, stocks, mutual funds, or commodities you'll be planning on dumping/taking profits in to build your November war chest and when so I can time the sale and start purchasing them on their way down. lol!

All My Spiderman books.

I sold them a while ago. Got some O/A and still have a nice chunk of change to buy more art

Nov is gonna hurt :eek:

Opposite for me - I picked up what I wanted now and do not plan on participating in next months auctions. I will be doing Christmas shopping.

This actually is a major issue with me. Here's an example: my collection is nearly complete by my own standards, but I am still missing several modest keys that I consider important. One of these keys (albeit a minor one at best) is Captain America #100 in CGC 9.2 or better. I almost bought a 9.6 , but the price was a little more than I was comfortable with at the time. Since this time this item has appeared in multiple auctions in 9.2 or above. Now I know this book is by no means 'rare' or even remotely uncommon in high grade. That being said, every time I see it come up for auction, I actually want it less and less! Why is this? Simply because of over saturation. If almost every auction or dealer has a copy in 9.2 or above how much of a great book can this be? This book became a victim due to a lack of perceived rarity. Even knowing it was a common book in high grade all this time did not stop me from wanting it until I learned I could get it any time. This is what speculators in modern age mass produced goods sometimes forget. If I can buy 95 copies of a factory sealed Lego set at any given time on eBay, or a high grade bronze book on C-Link or Heritage at any time; why would I want to pursue it right now? There is no sense of urgency and as a result the market loses a customer (i.e. demand) as a result.

This actually is a major issue with me. Here's an example: my collection is nearly complete by my own standards, but I am still missing several modest keys that I consider important. One of these keys (albeit a minor one at best) is Captain America #100 in CGC 9.2 or better. I almost bought a 9.6 , but the price was a little more than I was comfortable with at the time. Since this time this item has appeared in multiple auctions in 9.2 or above. Now I know this book is by no means 'rare' or even remotely uncommon in high grade. That being said, every time I see it come up for auction, I actually want it less and less! Why is this? Simply because of over saturation. If almost every auction or dealer has a copy in 9.2 or above how much of a great book can this be? This book became a victim due to a lack of perceived rarity. Even knowing it was a common book in high grade all this time did not stop me from wanting it until I learned I could get it any time. This is what speculators in modern age mass produced goods sometimes forget. If I can buy 95 copies of a factory sealed Lego set at any given time on eBay, or a high grade bronze book on C-Link or Heritage at any time; why would I want to pursue it right now? There is no sense of urgency and as a result the market loses a customer (i.e. demand) as a result.

If you value your collectibles based on what other people think of them then I can see how this could happen. If I wanted that book I'd be glad to have opportunities to find the right copy at the right price.

If you value your collectibles based on what other people think of them then I can see how this could happen. If I wanted that book I'd be glad to have opportunities to find the right copy at the right price.

:headbang:

While all your posts do make sense and those same points have been made by many boardies over the years. However you have to realize that in many cases the demand of the book is still more than the easily readily supply.

Hulk 181, ASM 300, ASM 129 are available at auction 24/7.

There are still going up in value. (shrug)

A random 9.6/9.8 Captain America or Hulk non-important Bronze age book, yes they are heading down in price as well they should.

While all your posts do make sense and those same points have been made by many boardies over the years. However you have to realize that in many cases the demand of the book is still more than the easily readily supply.

Hulk 181, ASM 300, ASM 129 are available at auction 24/7.

There are still going up in value. (shrug)

A random 9.6/9.8 Captain America or Hulk non-important Bronze age book, yes they are heading down in price as well they should.

Are they? Why did Hulk 181 go from being a $30K book to a less than a $15K book in 9.8 in less than a few short years, if not months? ASM 300 in 9.8 once sold for over $1K or close to it. Actually all the books you mentioned are trapped in speculative bubbles. Most have all dropped from previous highs.

I am sorry, but the demand you mention is not long term. It is short term based on movie hype. All those books are a dime a dozen and the census shows this.

So you do agree that these are not good investments after all. I don't know about you, but I base the value of my collectibles on current market value; not speculative bubbles. Your statement kind of misses the overall point of both the article mentioned and what other collectors and analysts (including myself) have been saying. Perceived value is unfortunately, also important. For instance, I can get a Wolverine LS #1 in CGC 9.8 at any time. It is not rare by any means and is part of what I commonly refer to as the 'Wal*Mart collectible mentality.' You can buy it any time, any where (day or night); at an ultra low price. It is not an investment grade book by no means and a previous sale on GPA means absolutely nothing because dozens more are readily available at any time. Again, this is what speculators of mass produced items seem to sometimes forget. Finding the right opportunities at the right price is a plus to any collector, but it also can inhibit demand overall.

Since this time this item has appeared in multiple auctions in 9.2 or above. Now I know this book is by no means 'rare' or even remotely uncommon in high grade.That being said, every time I see it come up for auction, I actually want it less and less!

I don't understand. So you bought a CGC 9.2 Cap # 100 knowing there were well over 250 copies in CGC 9.2 or better (hence, knowing its "by no means 'rare' or even remotely uncommon in high grade.") and yet, you're frustrated by seeing it in repeated auctions that remind you of how not rare it is?

It's a mad common book (as are all of the Marvel '68 expansion keys).

That doesn't mean it's not a great one, or a great investment. cf Amazing Spider-Man 1-anything, Hulk 181, ASM 300, etc. All of these are ridiculously common, and so can be (literally) "bought at any time." Again, it doesn't mean they may not also be good investments.

Also, the number of major annual auctions hasn't really changed over the past 4-5 years, so if Heritage, Clink, ComicConnect, etc. were going to have cannibalized themselves, that downward pressure has already happened.

If anything, after eBay, I'd say the biggest market stabilization occurred years ago, with Heritage's weekly auctions. Those Sunday night showings will disabuse anyone of the "perceived rarity" of 95% of post-1964 comics, regardless of grade. Especially since Heritage funneled a large number of the Twin Cities and Savannah books (many single highest-graded copies) through them.

Since this time this item has appeared in multiple auctions in 9.2 or above. Now I know this book is by no means 'rare' or even remotely uncommon in high grade.That being said, every time I see it come up for auction, I actually want it less and less!

I don't understand. So you bought a CGC 9.2 Cap # 100 knowing there were well over 250 copies in CGC 9.2 or better (hence, knowing its "by no means 'rare' or even remotely uncommon in high grade.") and yet, you're frustrated by seeing it in repeated auctions that remind you of how not rare it is?

That doesn't mean it's not a great one, or a great investment. cf Amazing Spider-Man 1-anything, Hulk 181, ASM 300, etc. All of these are ridiculously common, and so can be (literally) "bought at any time." Again, it doesn't mean they may not also be good investments.

Also, the number of major annual auctions hasn't really changed over the past 4-5 years, so if Heritage, Clink, ComicConnect, etc. were going to have cannibalized themselves, that downward pressure has already happened.

If anything, after eBay, I'd say the biggest market stabilization occurred years ago, with Heritage's weekly auctions. Those Sunday night showings will disabuse anyone of the "perceived rarity" of 95% of post-1964 comics, regardless of grade. Especially since Heritage funneled a large number of the Twin Cities and Savannah books (many single highest-graded copies) through them.

Before I even start to answer your comments, could you please go back and read what I wrote. You are incorrect in your quoting of my statements. I NEVER bought the Cap #100, as directly noted in my original statement. I also stated several times that this book is not even remotely uncommon. That was the whole point of my statement.

Before I even start to answer your comments, could you please go back and read what I wrote. You are incorrect in your quoting of my statements. I NEVER bought the Cap #100, as directly noted in my original statement. I also stated several times that this book is not even remotely uncommon. That was the whole point of my statement.

Those books being common, and whether or not you bought them, were minor points in your post. If you go back and reread what you wrote you claim that over availability of books due to auctions being too frequent will kill the comic market. This poster was simply pointing out that you're completely wrong, but only if you ignore his minor point about your having bought the book.

Apologies, Mint. I did indeed misread your post about buying the Captain America 100.

But I agree with Mysterio that the true point of diatribe seemed to be the following:

"This book became a victim due to a lack of perceived rarity. Even knowing it was a common book in high grade all this time did not stop me from wanting it until I learned I could get it any time."

That's just weird to me--why does one proxy of perceived rarity (auction volume) trump another (the CGC census), esp. when they reinforce the same conclusion--here, for example, that Cap America 100 in 9.2+ is common as dirt?

As a collector and investor, I _love_ the abundance of monthly and yearly auctions, as increased transactions lend price stability (and thus legitimacy) to the market.

And in the case of Captain America # 100 in CGC 9.2, GPA shows it's fluctuated (up and down) within a narrow 10% band for the last four years. A great book, but for investment, it's a long-term play only. This isn't news.

I guess I'm just surprised that this (or the plethora of auctions) seems noteworthy to you. Yes--there are 20+ major auctions per year. And have been, for years. In other news, most Silver Age high grade Marvels aren't rare, and Bill Clinton likes the ladies.

Those books being common, and whether or not you bought them, were minor points in your post. If you go back and reread what you wrote you claim that over availability of books due to auctions being too frequent will kill the comic market. This poster was simply pointing out that you're completely wrong, but only if you ignore his minor point about your having bought the book.

Unfortunately, that was my whole point. The over availability of books within the market increases supply. On the demand side are buyers. Due to over availability I no longer wanted the book. Did you happen to read the article I posted in response to your thread? It was listed a few pages back.

As previously stated, these ideas are NOT knew and they most certainly did not originate by my own ideologies on marketplace dynamics. I am agreeing with you that these books are extremely common in high grade. That is directly stated in my post as well.

So, did either of you actually win anything from CLink this month?

I don't want to monopolize this thread so I will answer your question and then allow time for some other responses and forum members to enter the discussion if they choose to before I continue posting again. It is Sunday and Sunday means auction and picking day-lol!

I did not buy anything this time around. Actually with the glut of material coming into the market I am a little more cautious compared to a few years ago. That was the point of my comments in this regard. With Heritage, C-Link, Comic Connect, and others; it is too easy to find deals overall. I also tend to avoid a lot of the newer (post 1980) books and collectibles that have come into the market lately. Too much is out there and most are way too speculative for me. As I said before, this doesn't mean I don't collect or own some of these items. It just means that in the midst of what I view as a speculative bubble I will not pay a premium for them. Much like you I also collect Lego. I just personally don't consider it an investment and surely don't think that storing mass quantities of unopened product (like speculators do) is overtly wise.

Just my viewpoint.