• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

October Comiclink auction thread

83 posts in this topic

Won this.

Not a priority book, would definitely like to have the Creature, Frankenstein and Mummy in the same condition. But this one was up so I thought I would go for it.

By the time it's all said and done I may have over-paid a bit, but I've seen at least one raw copy from a certain eBay seller go for nearly as much.

Glad it found a happy home. :applause:

(Oddly enough, I did actually buy this one raw off eBay just under a year ago for fity flat. So said and done, you definitely got the better end of the deal. (thumbs u )

I completely forgot the two books I bid on a couple weeks ago were closing tonight but I still won them both :headbang:

RAD6F7E12013103_163658.jpg

RAD76CC22013101_95348.jpg

Nice books!

The victim in the second book looks like the first one all grown up.

Imagine being raised by giant flies only to be eaten by a giant spider.

I completely forgot the two books I bid on a couple weeks ago were closing tonight but I still won them both :headbang:

RAD6F7E12013103_163658.jpg

RAD76CC22013101_95348.jpg

Nice books!

The victim in the second book looks like the first one all grown up.

Imagine being raised by giant flies only to be eaten by a giant spider.

You just blew my mind!

No wins this time although i wasnt bidding with any great desire. However the Featured Auction in November well thats another matter with plenty of books on my radar. With so many prime books that have never come up for sale before im sure there is going to be plenty of fireworks. In fact i think there is going to be many record prices set.

One of the major issues affecting the vintage comic market (and collectibles in general) is the amount of auctions being held. Comic Link is starting to cannibalise its own market share by offering multiple auctions month after month. A common lament I often hear from fellow collectors is 'Why should I enter a bidding war when another one will be on the market within another month or two?' This is starting to place downward pressure on some more common vintage items. Combine this with a glut of supply readily being auctioned and you have a recipe for downward price movement that will impact the market going forward in some manner or another. This actually ties in with those of you who have asked what happens when the 'baby boomer' generation ages and starts to sell off their collections. I am not saying there will not be increases in the market or speculative bubbles. What I am saying is that an overall trend of continual upward price movement is going to be limited going forward with some exceptions. Keep in mind that I am referring to the market as a whole and not individual pieces that might be running high due to movie news, speculation, or a combination of both.

One of the major issues affecting the vintage comic market (and collectibles in general) is the amount of auctions being held. Comic Link is starting to cannibalise its own market share by offering multiple auctions month after month. A common lament I often hear from fellow collectors is 'Why should I enter a bidding war when another one will be on the market within another month or two?' This is starting to place downward pressure on some more common vintage items. Combine this with a glut of supply readily being auctioned and you have a recipe for downward price movement that will impact the market going forward in some manner or another. This actually ties in with those of you who have asked what happens when the 'baby boomer' generation ages and starts to sell off their collections. I am not saying there will not be increases in the market or speculative bubbles. What I am saying is that an overall trend of continual upward price movement is going to be limited going forward with some exceptions. Keep in mind that I am referring to the market as a whole and not individual pieces that might be running high due to movie news, speculation, or a combination of both.

Thank God we have movies and TV shows to push prices in the other direction.

This is supply and demand. If there are lots of copies that come to market, they will satisfy the demand and prices will tend to come down. The market finds equilibrium, and auctions simply help satisfy that demand. Prices may get there more quickly due to faster satisfaction of demand, but one could argue that this is where prices should have been anyway if the market had been more efficient. Clink makes money when they sell books and make a commission, so wouldn't you imagine that they might want to sell as many books as possible?

This is supply and demand. If there are lots of copies that come to market, they will satisfy the demand and prices will tend to come down. The market finds equilibrium, and auctions simply help satisfy that demand. Prices may get there more quickly due to faster satisfaction of demand, but one could argue that this is where prices should have been anyway if the market had been more efficient. Clink makes money when they sell books and make a commission, so wouldn't you imagine that they might want to sell as many books as possible?

At the cost of the overall market? What is going to happen to them and other major auction houses if they continue to represent comic books as 'investments' and the market dictates otherwise? Buyers (and ultimately consignors) will lose confidence.Those on this forum who are also active in the antique markets already know my stance on this, but let me explain.

There are a lot of well known auction houses that specialize in certain areas of antiques and collectibles while catering to the whole market. As such, many of these auction houses (and I know this because I am involved with many) actually turn away consignments or spread them out over a long period of time. There was a recent article written in one of the antique journals I read that mentions this fact. They do this to PROTECT the volatility of the market in which they sell in. This is the best practice any auction house could take in this regard and it sometimes actually makes them more money in the long run. Could you imagine what would happen to the market of say cut glass or rare pottery if twenty to twenty four auctions were held every year by just one of the major auction houses in the business? Prices would tank and rare would possibly end up being common. Bidders would just wait for the next auction and hope the piece shows up there or two months down the line. Mass produced items would be more susceptible to these kind of fluctuations. The same is true in regards to what is currently happening in the comic book and coin collecting fields. Over-cannibalization of these markets has been occurring for some time now.

At the cost of the overall market? What is going to happen to them and other major auction houses if they continue to represent comic books as 'investments' and the market dictates otherwise? Buyers (and ultimately consignors) will lose confidence.Those on this forum who are also active in the antique markets already know my stance on this, but let me explain.

There are a lot of well known auction houses that specialize in certain areas of antiques and collectibles while catering to the whole market. As such, many of these auction houses (and I know this because I am involved with many) actually turn away consignments or spread them out over a long period of time. There was a recent article written in one of the antique journals I read that mentions this fact. They do this to PROTECT the volatility of the market in which they sell in. This is the best practice any auction house could take in this regard and it sometimes actually makes them more money in the long run. Could you imagine what would happen to the market of say cut glass or rare pottery if twenty to twenty four auctions were held every year by just one of the major auction houses in the business? Prices would tank and rare would possibly end up being common. Bidders would just wait for the next auction and hope the piece shows up there or two months down the line. Mass produced items would be more susceptible to these kind of fluctuations. The same is true in regards to what is currently happening in the comic book and coin collecting fields. Over-cannibalization of these markets has been occurring for some time now.

If items are not rare, then they shouldn't sell for high prices to begin with. Prices should always find their natural level, especially for mass produced items. How in the world would rare end up being common because of auctions? An item could possibly show up more frequently for sale, but that doesn't make it more common, just offered more frequently (and even then only until it ends up held in a collection longer term). Auction houses don't produce books, they only sell what their clients bring them. Rare items (that are truly rare) will always be in demand. Artificial scarcity is just that, and prices will correct if demand dictates that they should.

9.8 Bronze Marvels are a pretty good example of prices leveling off, and justifiably so. Of course pressing creating more uber high grade books has contributed to this, but even then while prices have come down as demand has been satisfied, they haven't gone to zero. They've just found a more justifiable level based on a new level of equilibrium having been reached between supply and demand. It hasn't led to any abandonment of collecting Bronze Marvels.

As I'm sure you're aware, there are plenty of items that are very difficult to find, but also very inexpensive when you do find them. Some things are so uncommon as to be less desired and have a smaller collector base. What about those types of items for your thesis?

To a certain extent i agree with you. I dont understand why collectors get into a bidding war over the major key books when you know another one is going to turn up next month in another auction. Sticking with Comiclink as an example every time their auction ends i always click on the highest bids and its the same old same comics that head the listings time and time again(AF#15,ASM#1,FF#1,IH#1,JLA#1,X-Men#1 etc etc etc) with prices that are still very high for books that are not that hard to find.

However the results for the next Comiclink Featured auction is going to be very interesting indeed. There are quality books in high grade AND Original art that you really just dont see that often. In fact there are items there that i knew existed but have NEVER seen. I deliberately didnt bid in the October auction for the first time ever so that i can save enough funds to bid aggressively in the November auction. I have so far received 12 wants list notifications and 8 of those came when the first batch of items was listed. I thought Comiclinks wants list notification was malfunctioning and was sending me the same emails. When i actually opened them up is what like Wow! I need to start gathering up some funds asap even though i will not be able to win all of them. I have never received so many wants list notification from any dealer/auction house at one time. Naturally im not going to alert anyone as to what they are as the less bidding wars i get into the better but those of you who are knowledgeable in comics and artwork will know which ones i am talking about as they will stand out from the others. It will be interesting to see after the auction when i click highest bids which ones get into the top 20. I still suspect that the usual suspects that i listed earlier will make up most of the top 20 but it will also be good to see how many of the other scarcer items make it as well.

If items are not rare, then they shouldn't sell for high prices to begin with. Prices should always find their natural level, especially for mass produced items. How in the world would rare end up being common because of auctions? An item could possibly show up more frequently for sale, but that doesn't make it more common, just offered more frequently (and even then only until it ends up held in a collection longer term). Auction houses don't produce books, they only sell what their clients bring them. Rare items (that are truly rare) will always be in demand. Artificial scarcity is just that, and prices will correct if demand dictates that they should.

9.8 Bronze Marvels are a pretty good example of prices leveling off, and justifiably so. Of course pressing creating more uber high grade books has contributed to this, but even then while prices have come down as demand has been satisfied, they haven't gone to zero. They've just found a more justifiable level based on a new level of equilibrium having been reached between supply and demand. It hasn't led to any abandonment of collecting Bronze Marvels.

As I'm sure you're aware, there are plenty of items that are very difficult to find, but also very inexpensive when you do find them. Some things are so uncommon as to be less desired and have a smaller collector base. What about those types of items for your thesis?

I thank you for responding in kind. I did not create this stated 'thesis' that you are giving me undue credit for. As stated in my initial assessment, this is something that others have lamented on. Please allow me to provide a link to an article about this, and I actually thought the author was someone else; but it is Mr. Rinker. I have provided a link below. Please note paragraphs four through eight specifically. This applies directly to this sentiment.

http://www.harryrinker.com/col-1390.html

I also think part of my point is not clear and I take full responsibility for this because I may not be explaining it as best as possible. The 'rarity' I am referring to in this statement is perceived rarity. For instance, collectors who focus mostly on auctions in the antique world have no serial number on a 'slab' to differentiate between two similar pieces. In the CGC or certified collectibles world if you want to look at two mint similar graded comics and tell the difference between these two items you can track them by serial number. In the antiques world this is hard to do this with a mass produced item or even some rare ceramics where similar pieces look alike. As such, when a collector sees the same kind of item go up for auction two months later he or she may not know it is the same item in question. This is where perceived rarity sets in. How rare can an item be if it is seen regularly at auction? Collectors and dealers both question this same ideology and I have gotten great deals on all sorts of antiques simply because these items are no longer 'fresh to market.' This is currently starting to happen in other markets and is quickly becoming the norm in the collectibles market in areas you alluded to (i.e. late bronze age Marvels in high grade). Collectors tire quickly of items they deem to be too common (whether the terminology fits or not). I guarantee that if you continually auction off a Action Comics #1 every other month in similar grade, within a year or so the item will fail to obtain record highs in the marketplace. How can this be? It happens all the time in the antiques market where items can easily become stale and lose their 'fresh to market' moniker. I can provide other articles that further analyze this trait, however, I believe at this point I would only be putting the carriage in front of the horse.

Kind Regards,

'mint'

Wow, next months' auctions do look enticing but they are really starting to exceed my capacity due to over saturation. HA has a November signature series auction, CC has a big auction, CLink has a whole bunch of goodies. I actually liked the prices I was able to grab some books in the October auctions (well under GPA) due to so many avoiding them/bidding low saving up for the November auctions.

So for all you Big Ballers who are going in BIG into next month's auctions which I'll likely avoid, can you tell me what, if any, stocks, mutual funds, or commodities you'll be planning on dumping/taking profits in to build your November war chest and when so I can time the sale and start purchasing them on their way down. lol!