• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

October Comiclink auction thread

83 posts in this topic

So, did either of you actually win anything from CLink this month?

I don't want to monopolize this thread so I will answer your question and then allow time for some other responses and forum members to enter the discussion if they choose to before I continue posting again. It is Sunday and Sunday means auction and picking day-lol!

I did not buy anything this time around. Actually with the glut of material coming into the market I am a little more cautious compared to a few years ago. That was the point of my comments in this regard. With Heritage, C-Link, Comic Connect, and others; it is too easy to find deals overall. I also tend to avoid a lot of the newer (post 1980) books and collectibles that have come into the market lately. Too much is out there and most are way too speculative for me. As I said before, this doesn't mean I don't collect or own some of these items. It just means that in the midst of what I view as a speculative bubble I will not pay a premium for them. Much like you I also collect Lego. I just personally don't consider it an investment and surely don't think that storing mass quantities of unopened product (like speculators do) is overtly wise.

Just my viewpoint.

For about 20 years I've worked on completing my collection of ASM, Cap, DD, FF, Avengers, Thor, Iron Man, and Hulk. I now need just 26 more. But, these comics are so common I mostly skip over them in the CL and CC auctions each month (the only times I look is when I see a restored book, as I might be able to pick it up cheap). From time to time I'll shop ebay for raw copies in about Fine or above. I rarely win. Despite how common these issues are, there still seems to be high demand. Thus, while I don't think these 1960s common non-key issues have huge upward potential, I don't think the bottom will fall out, and I do predict a steady if low rate of return. I just recently bought a Cap 100. There were tons on the market, but despite that, I didn't see really any great bargains. I wrote about it here. http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=317269&Number=7112998#Post7112998

An advantage of the high supply is it is possible to get a bargain from time to time, if only because for any particular auction you might be the only buyer looking for that issue at that moment in time. If I had been more patient with the Cap 100 I'm sure I could have gotten a better deal.

As for CC and CL, I'm typically most interested in publishers other than DCs and Marvels, and in original art. I won 1 CC auction this month, and 3 CLs, nothing major or expensive, just fun books.

I realize my post doesn't exactly respond to what you wrote, but it's what your post made me think about.

So, did either of you actually win anything from CLink this month?

I don't want to monopolize this thread so I will answer your question and then allow time for some other responses and forum members to enter the discussion if they choose to before I continue posting again. It is Sunday and Sunday means auction and picking day-lol!

I did not buy anything this time around. Actually with the glut of material coming into the market I am a little more cautious compared to a few years ago. That was the point of my comments in this regard. With Heritage, C-Link, Comic Connect, and others; it is too easy to find deals overall. I also tend to avoid a lot of the newer (post 1980) books and collectibles that have come into the market lately. Too much is out there and most are way too speculative for me. As I said before, this doesn't mean I don't collect or own some of these items. It just means that in the midst of what I view as a speculative bubble I will not pay a premium for them. Much like you I also collect Lego. I just personally don't consider it an investment and surely don't think that storing mass quantities of unopened product (like speculators do) is overtly wise.

Just my viewpoint.

I agree with most of what you have said. However it relies on the idea that all books of a certain grade are equal. I have overpaid for a book on occasion when it presented far nicer than the grade as I did this past comic auction. I will tell you privately if you want a real explanation but I want to wait until the book is in hand. GPA didn't apply.