• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Top 10 Most Important Punisher Books to own?

91 posts in this topic

Ennis and Dillon were awesome, but storyline wise, what Jason Aarons did, especially the re-(new)telling of the Kingpin story was incredible. Re-tooling Frank's origin, coming back from Nam and having flashbacks, stuff that hadn't been done before, well worth the reads. I believe it's his last 3 trades, for Punisher fans, unreal stuff.

Jay

Here' my list as rated by importance.

1. ASM 129 1st appearance

2. ASM 135 2nd full appearance

3. Giant Size Spider-Man # 4 3rd appearance

4. Marvel Preview # 2 origin

5. Punisher # 1 LS :cloud9:

6. Marvel Super Action # 1 origin

7. ASM # 162 1st Jigsaw. Not a big Jigsaw fan, but It’s his big villain. Can’t rate Kingpin, more of a Spidey key, less of a DD key and even less of a Punisher key.

8. Punisher # 1 (1990)1st ongoing

9. ASM # 134 2nd appearance cameo

10. Punisher Kills the Marvel Universe 1st Garth Ennis Punisher – Classic, 1st "Kills the Universe", Ennis would revamp the Punisher from dead property to ultra successful.

That is a nice list.

Thanks man. I put a lot of thought into it.

I was surprised that I had to leave off Captain America # 241 DD # 183. Those are fantastic books.

ASM Annual #15 too.

My homer pick would have went with War Journal #1. Love that book.

No mention of this one?

Great stand alone story, Frank Miller art at its best, imo.

AmazingSpider-ManAnnual15.jpg

This is the greatest punisher story of all time.

He's in jail and fights in a shower in the buck with just a towel.

Since this book was not mentioned OP loses all credibility.

Yea, but DP #54 is by far one of the best Punisher covers.

Yup, covers are nice, but you don’t collect and read comics just for covers… (thumbs u

That story is good, check it out. :) Also, #162 has Punisher on cover:

AmazingSpider-Man162.jpg

I know what you mean, but a cover sometimes makes an average story into a classic collectible.

While it certainly doesn't qualify for the top ten most important punisher books to own, I think Spectacular Spider-Man #83 should receive an honorable mention. Poor Frank gets sent to the loony bin, and to my knowledge, isn't seen in the marvel U until Grant and Zeck's limited series, almost 3 years later.

Hmm...I don't think Punisher (ongoing) # 1 is as important as Punisher War Journal 1, which had Jim Lee art, and--as I understand it--the first "full" origin story. It was also the highest print-run modern prior to Batman LOTDK # 1.

I'd also give shout-outs to:

the Return to Big Nothing trade (w/ classic Zeck cover)

Daredevil 182-184 (classic Daredevil story, if not Punisher as well--years later, the whole "Daredevil couldn't tell I was lying because my heart has a pacemaker" twist has stuck with me)

And the very under-rated Daredevil (vol. 2) 82-87, by Brubaker,in which the Kingpin engineers Matt Murdock's sentencing to the same prison as much of his rogue's gallery, and Frank Castle breaks into the prison to act as his bodyguard.

That story also deserves much credit for never once putting Punisher on the cover, despite his pivotal role.

Daredevil 182-184 (classic Daredevil story, if not Punisher as well--years later, the whole "Daredevil couldn't tell I was lying because my heart has a pacemaker" twist has stuck with me)

I haven't picked that book up in 20 years but for some reason I've always remembered that too.

Ironically, either in that issue or in one immediately surrounding it, he lets the reader know he doesn't need help crossing an intersection (someone offers him help) cause he can detect the electrical signals in the traffic lights. But pacemakers run on electricity...

Hmm...I don't think Punisher (ongoing) # 1 is as important as Punisher War Journal 1, which had Jim Lee art, and--as I understand it--the first "full" origin story. It was also the highest print-run modern prior to Batman LOTDK # 1.

Jim Lee pencils didn't begin until Punisher War Journal #4, I believe #1 to #3 were Carl Potts pencils with Jim Lee inks.

Somone's got a couple of complete, original color guides from the Jim Lee run on Ebay right now. :whistle:

punisherwj8p18dblsplash_zps2898b317.jpg

I know what you mean, but a cover sometimes makes an average story into a classic collectible.

Collecting comics just for covers means you are collecting objects. Your query was about "important Punisher books to own", so as long the adjective "important" retains its value I have the strong suspect a Deadpool issue is not as much important as these two stories, which belong to a stage where the Punisher was factually being defined as a Marvel character. But again – your choice. :)

Collecting comics just for covers means you are collecting objects. Your query was about "important Punisher books to own", so as long the adjective "important" retains its value I have the strong suspect a Deadpool issue is not as much important as these two stories, which belong to a stage where the Punisher was factually being defined as a Marvel character. But again – your choice. :)

Yes I only collect comics for the covers. :baiting:

BTW Every time you buy a comic you are buying an object good story or bad story.

ASM 129 story isn't all that great, but the cover is unmistakably intense.

I started this thread with top ten Punisher books, but the more I think about it I really can only think of 5 worth owning and the rest are good enough to just own via trades. ie, all the Marl Knights and Max Punisher issues. Amazing reads, but no upside value in owning the originals.