• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Batman 423 complete known McFarlane foreign set

25 posts in this topic

I finally completed Batman 423 set from all around the world. It took me a year to find all of these issues and I could have not done it without my foreign collector friends. Each book has a story in itself of luck or difficulty in locating.

Big shout out to Define999 and Chespirito for discovering the Thailand and South African versions.

Top Row:

sealed 3 pack w/ 3rd printing

Batman Monthly 37 (UK)

Batman 5 (Germany)

sealed 3 pack w/ 3rd printing

2nd Row:

Batman 70 (Mexico)

Batman 2 (Finland)

Batman 2 Semic (Norway)

CGC 9.6 Batman 423 (US) 1st Print

Batman 4 (Denmark)

Batman (Hungary)

Batman 4 (Sweden)

Bottom Row:

Batman 22 (Spain)

Batman 6 (South Africa)

Batman 423 (US) 1st Print UPC

Batman Gallery Print (US) 1992

Batman 423 (US) 2nd Print

Spawn 230 (US) Homage Cover

Batman 12 (Thailand)

20131013_185609_zpsfe44d763.jpg

Batman Monthly 37 (UK), Batman 5 (Germany)

these 2 editions are between magazine and treasury format sizes. I think they might be too large for CGC mag dimensions i will have to check with them

20131019_171600_zps6eae1e0b.jpg

Batman 70 (Mexico), Batman 2 (Finland)

The Mexican edition was the only "digest" size and the most difficult to buy.

20131019_172021_zps0fe769ee.jpg

Batman 2 (Norway), Batman 4 (Denmark)

The Norwegian took the longest in searching and since I was their first ever American customer they were nice enough to mail it to me for free :cloud9:

I have been very fortunate in making many friendships with people in all these countries.

20131019_172213_zpsf56d5876.jpg

Batman (Hungary), Batman 4 (Sweden)

I had to pay a 3rd party to buy the Hungarians and double shipping but after 3 months it was worth the wait.

20131019_172338_zpsc06d2c99.jpg

Batman 22 (Spain), Batman 6 (South Africa),

Thanks to Define999 for discovering the South African edition (thumbs u

The South African publisher Battleaxe only printed DC Comics for 1 year then went bankrupt after sales faltered. The African comics are very hard to come by as we are starting to discover. There is a very rare South African Action Comics #419 that for me is a foreign Neal Adams grail...

20131019_172622_zps891f24c9.jpg

Batman 423 1st print Newstand Edition, Batman 423 2nd print

I like the newstand with the nice black spine showing i think it looks better than the direct edition. Newstand comics tend to be a little more appreciative in high grade as they survived the local 7-11 which is far more impressive than a direct edition.

20131019_173446_zps55dff999.jpg

Spawn 230 homage, poster from Batman Gallery #1(1992), Batman 12 (Thailand)

Todd McFarlane went crazy this past year with his homage run. Big Thanks to Chespirito for finding the Thailand version last Christmas.

20131019_173543_zps891e8bc7.jpg

20131013_185240_zpsb0af0f13.jpg

Is there a Canadian newstand variant in the mix?

I have combed through Canada with 23 Dealers and not one could find one...

If you ever see one please let me know. Oddly enough for us foreign hunters Canada and Mexico being the closest countries, they are sometimes the most difficult to source or locate....

I love those Canadian price variants...

There should be a dedicated Canadian Price Variant Gallery of all the books

If you ever see one please let me know. Oddly enough for us foreign hunters Canada and Mexico being the closest countries, they are sometimes the most difficult to source or locate....

I will check my LCSs and see what I can turn up. I think there should have been a $1.00 version, but I am not 100% certain as the only ones I paid attention to prior to it were the KGBeast issues (and yes, there are $1.00 CDN copies)

Damn Tony, :o(worship) (worship) :applause: So nice to see this set project coming to its glorious end! Great pics, and on top of it all you drop a little knowledge on us to go with your group shots.... thanks for sharing man!

My favs or the Thai, the Hungarian versions and of course that cool South African battleaxe! :cloud9:

I will check my LCSs and see what I can turn up. I think there should have been a $1.00 version, but I am not 100% certain as the only ones I paid attention to prior to it were the KGBeast issues (and yes, there are $1.00 CDN copies)

Here's the Canadian one - it shows up every now and then on eBay.ca. I might have one in the back stock.

$(KGrHqR,!rYFHis5G0joBSBcPuW7T!~~60_57.JPG

Here's the Canadian one - it shows up every now and then on eBay.ca. I might have one in the back stock.

$(KGrHqR,!rYFHis5G0joBSBcPuW7T!~~60_57.JPG

Thanks yes please let me know. I bought your french batman 227 a while back

Batman Monthly 37 (UK), Batman 5 (Germany)

these 2 editions are between magazine and treasury format sizes. I think they might be too large for CGC mag dimensions i will have to check with them

20131019_171600_zps6eae1e0b.jpg

Nice set of books! :applause:

Batman 37 originally came with metallic Doom Patrol sticker! Not sure if there any other stickers available.

14393.jpg