• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Silver Age book dropping in price???

11 posts in this topic

From what I can tell looking at the Data it seems like its mostly the high grade copies that fell on the Avengers 4.

Low & Midgrade books fell a little but have risen again and are above pre Cap 1 movie prices.

I thought Cap 1 was the worst of the Marvel movies so far, which might explain a drop.

BUT, with the success of the Avengers, and a 2nd Cap movie coming out (which looks to be pretty good) I think Avengers 4 will rise again.

As far as Xmen 1. To me the data shows it's rising in almost all grades. 9.4 grade took a hit but that might just mean a couple higher grades hit the market.

So all silver age comics prices are pretty much catered to whether the movies are good or not? or movie rumors now? It's hard to predict the super hero movies for the future. But if marvel movies start to tank and they stop doing them all together in 10-15 years, does that mean all comics across the board will tanks as well? I know there's no answer to this but man that's a scary thought.

So all silver age comics prices are pretty much catered to whether the movies are good or not? or movie rumors now?

That's what it's come to sadly.

I would add that price spikes are influenced by successful movies but a poor movie won't kill a key book that has already been popular for 50 years when Marvel created it.

So all silver age comics prices are pretty much catered to whether the movies are good or not? or movie rumors now? It's hard to predict the super hero movies for the future. But if marvel movies start to tank and they stop doing them all together in 10-15 years, does that mean all comics across the board will tanks as well? I know there's no answer to this but man that's a scary thought.

It can't hurt that much

Partially it's just cyclical. A few years ago Avengers 4 was the chit. Along with GL 76. People were buying those books up left and right. The Bronze Age forum had an epic thread about GL 76 , that, in retrospect probably had a big part to do with the frenzy.

But after a while people just simply get tired of it. They either ran out and scooped one up before the word reached every dealer, or, by the time they began to search it was to late and the price had already reached it’s peak.

So people begin to start looking for the new hot book. And so on and on it goes.

After those two it was Irion Man 55, then Avengers 55. Those have since cold down a bit as well.

anyone have the data after the release of Daredevil movie whether it effected the price of the 1st issue?

Prices dipped after the DD movie came out, but within a year they rebounded and have steadily increased every year. No dramatic increases, but steady increases. When the DD movie is announced I'll bet it gets the now traditional "movie bump".

So all silver age comics prices are pretty much catered to whether the movies are good or not? or movie rumors now?

That's what it's come to sadly.

Truth. But most of what appears to be "weakness" in the price of certain select comics is those comics correcting downward in price to more rational, sustainable levels after having previously spiked to silly price levels in response to speculative buying prompted by some new movie or whatever.

The other factor that prompts price drops in high grade is when a new highest in census copy is submitted(created?). So if a 9.8 copy becomes the highest graded known copy, the 9.6 copy that previously held that position can drop sharply in price.

:preach: