• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Too Good to be True?

55 posts in this topic

Its not the original art, thats in Darin Domina's CAF. It is the actual production cover, or seems to be, that was used to make the comic book. So its a stat of the original art with Thors hammer moved a little bit and the round word blurb in the bottom corner pasted on. Still cool.

Jay

I am far from a Perez authority, but these look like two different covers and comparing minor details, the one on ebay appears to be the one used for printing the actual Avengers cover. Don't know why there are two covers (wouldn't be the first time two covers exist for the same issue) and they both look vintage, so I can't speculate further. You Perez Avengers OA fans need to dig a little further.

Scott

Its not the original art, thats in Darin Domina's CAF. It is the actual production cover, or seems to be, that was used to make the comic book. So its a stat of the original art with Thors hammer moved a little bit and the round word blurb in the bottom corner pasted on. Still cool.

Jay

You're right, my bad.

Yet, it's interesting that there are so many differences between the published cover and the OA. Why so many subtle changes (the "Kirby krackle", machinery behind Wonderman's head, shadows, muscles on characters...) it almost seems like a total re-ink.

I don't get it.

No code stamp on the back. If this is mainly a stat, the seller isn't saying so. 100% feedback, 6-figure feedback count. Still, something's fishy...

This guy appears to be a sports card seller who is selling it for a consigner. I would guess he doesn't have our background for comic art.

It appears to be a stat with some extra inking on it. Look by the Panthers upper leg and how the black is different on the stat part and where the background black is real inking on the paper. I agree its weird that there is no code stamp on back but I am pretty sure I am right.

Jay

No code stamp on the back. If this is mainly a stat, the seller isn't saying so. 100% feedback, 6-figure feedback count. Still, something's fishy...

This guy appears to be a sports card seller who is selling it for a consigner. I would guess he doesn't have our background for comic art.

It appears to be a stat with some extra inking on it. Look by the Panthers upper leg and how the black is different on the stat part and where the background black is real inking on the paper. I agree its weird that there is no code stamp on back but I am pretty sure I am right.

Jay

Not just extra inking, but different inking in dozens of places.

Jay

Not just extra inking, but different inking in dozens of places.

Yes. I'll say it again. These are two different covers based on one set of pencils. *ALL* THE INKING IS DIFFERENT ON EACH COVER. No idea if it was light boxed or not, but at the end of the day, the ebay version is the published cover version. Whether there are stats on the ebay version is difficult to know without better scans or seeing it in person.

Scott

The problem with thinking that the ebay auction is a stat is that it doesn't retain the brightness of a stat, or the bit of shine that the stat paper has. You can see that on the logo stat. The rest of the art doesn't resemble that. The difference in blacks could also come down to different inks being used...it even could be that black gouache paint was used to fill in the dark blacks....or that it was done later in-house with different ink.

Plus, the ebay auction is clearly a re-inked image. Too many differences in the image for it to be just a stat of the CAF version.

Too many variables to make a definite call without seeing the art in-hand.

Crazy.

Yes. I'll say it again. These are two different covers based on one set of pencils. *ALL* THE INKING IS DIFFERENT ON EACH COVER. No idea if it was light boxed or not, but at the end of the day, the ebay version is the published cover version. Whether there are stats on the ebay version is difficult to know without better scans or seeing it in person.

Scott

I just saw your earlier post.

Maybe it's my browser, but when new messages are posted while I'm constructing a reply, they sometimes aren't displayed unless I leave the thread and then revisit the thread later.

I've missed important contributions to to discussions on more than one occasion, because of this. :P

Thanks to many of you for contacting me about this. I have naturally emailed the Ebay seller through Ebay. I am 1000% comfortable that I own the original art. I do not know the origin of the Ebay piece (and have not read carefully the postings above). To my knowledge, Perez never did two covers (ie, the cover wasn't lost and had to be redone) nor to my knowledge was it temporally lost and then inked on a copy. My understanding prior to this piece being posted was that for whatever reason certain small details were added/changed in the production process and reflected in the final published cover (Thor's hammer being moved slightly, a bit more Kirby Krackle in Iron Man's and Ultron's ray, etc.). I take this piece then to be a production piece. As we've all seen with all the production art that has come to Ebay and elsewhere, a variety of different pieces are created as part of the production process (including acetate covers etc.--at one point I owned the acetate cover to this and it of course showed the changes noted above), so I presume this was an early piece in the production process. I also note that it is not stamped on the back as mine is.

While typing this I heard back from the seller:

"Dear ironmandrd,

hi, we will relist the item

thanks for the polite email...

- probstein123"

Sorry, but that CAF version is a totally different version when compared to the printed one. The inks are different. Don't know why there's 2 versions, but the CAF one doesn't match up at all to the printed piece. The ebay one does...and we aren't talking additions or minor revisions. Yours is a totally different inked version when compared to the printed art. Sorry if that comes as bad news to you. But something happened with this cover way back when, and you have an alternate version- not the printed art.

Your email to the ebay seller was wrong.

I'm nauseated right now just imagining I was the CAF owner. I think there are multiple issues here the more I compare the 2 pieces. The caf cover has the glue stains from the original paste ups and it makes you wonder if they were removed and then put on the ebay version. Why is the ebay version signed but the caf version stamped. Totally crazy. Here is wishing for the best possible outcome for all parties involved.

chris