• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marvel kowtows to fan outrage - There is a "real Mandarin"

76 posts in this topic

I didn't know it was possible to screw up a movie that badly, not one that had so much going for it anyhow. Not sure why they bailed on the idea of just using the Mandarin as a real terrorist anyway, since it seems like it would have set up Captain America 2 perfectly where the new SHIELD seems to be on the offensive in going after threats rather than reacting to them as they happen.

China was a source of financing for the film and they are becoming a large enough market that films are being adjusted before they are filmed or alternate versions are created for the Chinese market. There will be more of this kind catering in the future not less given their increasing financial clout.

I didn't know it was possible to screw up a movie that badly, not one that had so much going for it anyhow. Not sure why they bailed on the idea of just using the Mandarin as a real terrorist anyway, since it seems like it would have set up Captain America 2 perfectly where the new SHIELD seems to be on the offensive in going after threats rather than reacting to them as they happen.

China was a source of financing for the film and they are becoming a large enough market that films are being adjusted before they are filmed or alternate versions are created for the Chinese market. There will be more of this kind catering in the future not less given their increasing financial clout.

Given that the Marvel character of The Mandarin was created during a time that any Chinese national of strength was labeled a Red, or considered a Yellow Menace, I'm not sure the term 'catering' is accurate.

A conscious decision not to perpetuate an outmoded image is not catering, IMHO.

If anything, the original 1960s Mandarin character catered to the paranoia that was instilled in the average American, and it reinforced the oriental mastermind stereotype. my 2c

Hey, I enjoy my silver age Marvels immensely, and I have a keen fondness for the Lee / Heck / Kirby Mandarin. Silver age is practically all I read.

I was a little disappointed that the Mandarin was not portrayed as he was in the comics I grew up with. That would have been cool.

These movies are being made 50 years later.

At my age I have learned that change is inevitable and that I may not like or agree with all of it. Yet my enjoyment of this modern take on a 50 year-old mythology does not hinge upon strict adherence to age old canon.

Given that the Marvel character of The Mandarin was created during a time that any Chinese national of strength was labeled a Red, or considered a Yellow Menace, I'm not sure the term 'catering' is accurate.

If anything, the original 1960s Mandarin character catered to the paranoia that was instilled in the average American, and it reinforced the oriental mastermind stereotype. my 2c

^^

Hey, I enjoy my silver age Marvels immensely, and I have a keen fondness for the Lee / Heck / Kirby Mandarin. Silver age is practically all I read.

I was a little disappointed that the Mandarin was not portrayed as he was in the comics I grew up with. That would have been cool.

At my age I have learned that change is inevitable and that I may not like or agree with all of it. Yet my enjoyment of this modern take on a 50 year-old mythology does not hinge upon strict adherence to age old canon.

Excellent post. :applause:

I haven't seen IM3 yet so I can't comment about how the plot twist comes across but your point is a valid one.

So what's next? A six foot Wolverine so as not to offend short Canadiens?

So what's next? A six foot Wolverine so as not to offend short Canadiens?

I believe it is less an issue of a real or imagined offense to any particular group, but rather more an indication of American societal development and growth. (shrug)

Ironically, it's no different than how IM3's Mandarin character was modeled to cater to paranoia that was instilled in the average person today.

I watched the film again last night on blu-ray and really liked it.

To each his own, I guess.

+1

I watched it for the first time and loved the Mandarin twist. It was humorous and campy, which is what this franchise is.

Yeah, I though Ben Kingsley was the best thing about the movie. He was the only actor putting any effort in.

Ironically, it's no different than how IM3's Mandarin character was modeled to cater to paranoia that was instilled in the average person today.

If it's ironic it's intentional. I believe that was the point.

When Tony first confronts the Trevor "Mandarin", Trevor states,

"He (Killian) created me ... the pathology of a serial killer, the manipulation of Western iconography.

Ready for... another lesson. Blah blah, blah."

:applause:

Yes. Very perceptive.

The Mandarin thing probably has to do with a fear of alienating foreign markets that make up a huge chunk of money for these movies.

Not sure I understand this, Chuck. What do you mean?

The movie industry is courting the huge Chinese market.

Problem is that reasonably speaking it’s not "mythology". Despite all the cultural factors you can contextualize, Stan Lee crystallized a concept and a vision, which has been consistently brought forward by generation of authors, that went beyond mere "entertainment". The Marvel Age was something, the current productions are generic "entertainment" and treat like "mythology" what happened before just because they do not have an adequate background to cancel the mess they have done and bring that vision forward.

It’s not a question of being condescending to the "fans", there‘s a lot more in play.