• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

You Getting These?

21 posts in this topic

"This email was sent automatically by eBay in response to your request to recover your password. This is done for your protection; only you, the recipient of this email can take the next step in the password recover process."

Are other eBayers getting these? (shrug) Constant flood, one, two, sometimes three a day, for several months now.

"If you did not forget your password, please ignore this email".

Ignore and delete, but should I be worried? :eek: Or is it commonplace? zzz(shrug)

Not for sure, but it sounds like you are on a list that someone is using to hack accounts using common passwords. Make sure your password contains a combination of numbers, capital letters, and special characters and you should be fine.

Not for sure, but it sounds like you are on a list that someone is using to hack accounts using common passwords. Make sure your password contains a combination of numbers, capital letters, and special characters and you should be fine.

My password-string is a long as my arm.

And I'm guessing if eBay sends these "forgot my password" emails, they'd also send a "you changed your password" email. Which makes all the attempts seem dumb.

It's like they're constantly asking eBay, as if eBay will stupidly help them change it. :screwy:

It could be innocuous - someone with a similar eBay ID fat fingered their ID and is wondering why the heck they can't get in.

Or, it could be nefarious and your account is being actively hacked. I would think it's the former since an email was sent to the account user by someone trying to get into the account - someone pressed the "I forgot my password" link.

It could be innocuous - someone with a similar eBay ID fat fingered their ID and is wondering why the heck they can't get in.

Or, it could be nefarious and your account is being actively hacked. I would think it's the former since an email was sent to the account user by someone trying to get into the account - someone pressed the "I forgot my password" link.

They're accidentally hitting the forgot password button a few times a day, every day, for the last few weeks? :insane:

Doubtful. Someone is trying to hack his password.

Awhile ago I discovered a long list of hacked email addresses posted online. Virtually all were comic collectors from what I could discern. They including Dark Horse employees and members of my own messageboard. It even had one of my own email addresses hacked, but I had only used it maybe a dozen times in the past 10 years. I mainly used it in situations that seemed high risk for security issues. Unfortunately, I couldn't pinpoint where I used it.

My point was that you could have been on the list. Hackers know that people will use the same passwords on multiple accounts. Someone could have been trying your email password on your eBay account hoping to monetize their efforts.

DG

They're accidentally hitting the forgot password button a few times a day, every day, for the last few weeks? :insane:

Doubtful. Someone is trying to hack his password.

I'll have to think about that. hm I got on eBay so early I was able to use my very common first-name. For a time, early on, I got lots of contacts about derivative accounts, like name123, nameABC, nameWhatever. "Hey, you sold me such & such and..." Constantly replying "Wasn't me, sorry."

But yeah, it's been going for months now. I'd say the better part of this year.

Could be someone hopes to aggravate/scare me into deleting the account, so the name becomes available. hm Maybe.

Happening with that frequency makes it sound like some kind of automated hacker thingy. Maybe contact eBay to see if they can shut down whatever it is the bad guys have been doing that generated these e-mails?

Awhile ago I discovered a long list of hacked email addresses posted online. Virtually all were comic collectors from what I could discern. They including Dark Horse employees and members of my own messageboard. It even had one of my own email addresses hacked, but I had only used it maybe a dozen times in the past 10 years. I mainly used it in situations that seemed high risk for security issues. Unfortunately, I couldn't pinpoint where I used it.

My point was that you could have been on the list. Hackers know that people will use the same pasaswords on multiple accounts. Someone could have been trying your email password on your ebay account hoping to monetize their efforts.

DG

Makes sense. Thanks. (thumbs u

I remember about a decade ago eBay requesting I change my email password with my provider. I did, but never figured how it related to eBay. Might of been a list floating around, like you say.

I was just concerned that you put out there, that your password is your name. But maybe you have changed it since.

I am sure you can delete it.

Oh no, you misunderstood. I said my password-string is as long as my arm. :)

(whew. You freaked me out a bit.)

edit: what the hell, I'll delete it anyway. It didn't really move the conversation forward, so why not. ;)

It's all good. Appreciate the concern. (thumbs u

I was hoping those emails were commonplace, the main reason of starting a thread. Apparently they're not, so I'll have to figure something out. They're more of an irritant than anything else...so far, anyway.

"This email was sent automatically by eBay in response to your request to recover your password. This is done for your protection; only you, the recipient of this email can take the next step in the password recover process."

Are other eBayers getting these? (shrug) Constant flood, one, two, sometimes three a day, for several months now.

"If you did not forget your password, please ignore this email".

Ignore and delete, but should I be worried? :eek: Or is it commonplace? zzz(shrug)

Never had one of these. Sounds like spam to me. Delete.

If it is legit, then someone is trying to hack your account.