• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fables - Ending with issue #150

41 posts in this topic

Wow, one of my favorite series coming to an end. I look forward to going back and reading everything from the beginning to prepare for the final issues.

What are some of your favorite issues / covers / moments from the past issues everyone?

http://www.billwillingham.com/2013/11/fables-comes-to-an-end-with-issue-150/

:acclaim:

That is just plain old sad. I hate endings. Beginnings are great, middles are pretty good, but goodbyes suck. I was going to write about all of the comics and TV shows that I didn't like ending but thinking about the end of those is crummy too. Bill Willingham and Mark Buckinham kick and this story will go down as an upper echelon epic imo :applause:

My absolute favourite story of the entire run is "Boxing Days" from issue #86. Awesome creepy cover and great intro story for Mr Dark:

1zb9gzq.jpg

In general though, I have to say the series has dropped off from the war story that lead up into the 70s. Cubs in Toyland was a good arc, but I really felt the series had lost momentum in the last couple of years.

Is 15 or so issues really enough to tie up all the loose ends? Boy Blue? Prince Charming? Bigby? Ozma's prophecy? Let's hope so.

I stopped reading Fables at issue 40...I guess...I never got around to the Adversary storyline.

That's not a knock on its quality. Things just happened. But now that it's ending, I will buy all hardcovers and read it in its entirety. This will look great with my Sandman, Preacher and YTLM hardcovers (soon).. :D

Unforgettable moment for me was when Bigby Wolf owned BlueBeard...

surely no one actually believes that it's over and never going to come back even a little...

Nothing good ever really ends....

It's going to pop up intermittently, ala Sandman and 100 Bullets.

Unlike YTLM, Preacher and Lucifer. YTLM I understand, but it's weird for Lucifer not to come back every once in a while. Lots of stories to extrapolate and interpolate from the original series.

surely no one actually believes that it's over and never going to come back even a little...

Nothing good ever really ends....

I don't think the main series with the full cast will ever come back. I can definitely see a few mini-series in the future, like the Cinderella ones.

They've obviously already experimented with other writers handling the characters, but for me that wasn't a success. Fairest just didn't capture the feel of the "proper" series.

Had this on my pull list from the beginning until issue 120, but stopped reading around #75. Looking forward to reading this all the way through! Probably read all the floppies, then sell the whole batch and buy the trades.

Also, what kind of market action is there on this? 1 & 2 are a bit pricey, any others?

Had this on my pull list from the beginning until issue 120, but stopped reading around #75. Looking forward to reading this all the way through! Probably read all the floppies, then sell the whole batch and buy the trades.

Also, what kind of market action is there on this? 1 & 2 are a bit pricey, any others?

Yes: #6 RRP is very hard to find (supposedly limited to 300 or so) and commands high prices, raw or slabbed. There's also an RRP of #101, but that's easier to get hold of.

My absolute favourite story of the entire run is "Boxing Days" from issue #86. Awesome creepy cover and great intro story for Mr Dark:

1zb9gzq.jpg

In general though, I have to say the series has dropped off from the war story that lead up into the 70s. Cubs in Toyland was a good arc, but I really felt the series had lost momentum in the last couple of years.

Is 15 or so issues really enough to tie up all the loose ends? Boy Blue? Prince Charming? Bigby? Ozma's prophecy? Let's hope so.

Great cover. It looks more like MTG than Fables. Very creepy :o

I can believe that. Vertigo never exactly went variant crazy, did they.

Correct, it was more about the stories actually. Variants before were produced in stricult limited quantities and only for milestone issues like Death 1 and Sandman 50 Platinum. Next to Fables, YTLM 1 is the most pricey.

I wonder how many hardcovers will the 150 issue Fables run be?

There'll be about 16-17. It's up to volume 8 at the moment which includes the run up to #69. Fables hardcovers for some reason don't pack a lot of issues in. If you can get 100 Bullets done in 5 you shouldn't need that many for Fables. Too expensive for the average fan.

I am one lucky guy. My 4 kids always look out for me. My birthday was earlier in the week and they all got me something cool and either comic related or comics themselves. My last gift was the first four TPBs of Fables. So I'm reading the story for the second time and it's just as great as I remembered it being the first time. I'm blessed to have kids who both pay attention and who get their dad's favorite hobby. If you haven't read this story, I'd give it a try. It beats 90+ % of the stuff out there imo.