• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Help Me Correct a Teenage Mistake: Sold AF15 & Hulk1. How Do I Replace?

37 posts in this topic

I finally got a nice AF15 3.0 slab a couple years ago off ebay for about $150 under OSPG value, not to mention GPA, and was thrilled since I never thought a deal like that would be possible. I sold it last year for about $1300 more than I bought and that was also successfully done on ebay so even though there are concerns about legitimacy it certainly can be done.

Good luck with your search and purchases! It certainly is nice to own a classic like one of these.

Hey Guys,

I'm still keeping an eye out for these books, but in a much more patient and skeptical manner, thanks to your collective advice.

If you all would be so kind as to share your further thoughts on these books, I'm whether I should instead use the cash I have saved for these books and instead buy other cheaper silver age and or bronze keys that have more headspace for appreciation. With the goal of, of course, with one day going on a quest for these books with returns from these other cheaper keys. Or should I just buy these books already, because soon enough, they will be out of reach for someone of modest means?

Or should I just buy these books already, because soon enough, they will be out of reach for someone of modest means?

This. :preach:

I now wish I'd picked up an AF 15 some ten years ago. It's still doable today, but today it costs more than I want to spend for it. The two books you're considering are likely to appreciate faster than virtually any others.

Or should I just buy these books already, because soon enough, they will be out of reach for someone of modest means?

This. :preach:

I now wish I'd picked up an AF 15 some ten years ago. It's still doable today, but today it costs more than I want to spend for it. The two books you're considering are likely to appreciate faster than virtually any others.

Yeah, just focus on the keys. Forget the rest. :sumo:

With low grades the phrase "buy the book, not the CGC label" really rings true. Eye appeal is very important.

For example, if a kid colored in spidey's eyes or drew a mustache on him the book is probably going to sell for LESS than GPA.

On the flip side, a book with it's primary damage on the back cover, or a clear water stain could get hammered by CGC. But when it's time to sell will be in more demand because of the front cover's eye appeal. These books usually sell for MORE than GPA.

In other words, don't be afraid to pay slightly more than GPA if the book has great eye appeal. If you sell down the road it will be easy to move, and odds are you'll be setting the new GPA high.

Been there done that. In 1993, I sold (what would probably have graded as 4-5's) an Amazing Fantasy 15 and Amazing Spiderman 1 to a dealer in Raleigh for $750 because my car broke down and I needed the money right away. It would cost me at least ten times that to replace them now (or more). Good luck in your quest!

Thanks guys! I'm just glad I didn't sell my McFarlane original art (last page of ASM 328), which I actually bought directly from the man himself at the same convention I bought the Hulk 1. The original art set me back $85. I remember shifting through a pile of his pages, with splash panels for just a few hundred dollars....

I paid $75 for the Hulk 1.

Sigh...