• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The need to own the actual comic - or - fan vs. collector vs. combination

80 posts in this topic

I collect all keys(major and minor)from Silver age to current.

I am a hopeless OCD collector,so I must have all keys.Whether I like the character or not,but thank God I like most of DC and Marvel characters.

OCD is a person_without_enough_empathy.

One, Two, Three, Four.

Spider-man is my favorite character so yes I had to have his first appearance. However, after that...

I collect keys because I like to collect and in my eyes say, "got it" "got it" "need it" and so on. I collect the keys of my favorite characters or get something cool that goes along with them when their first appearances are out of range (Batman 47) and that is it.

Except for my ASM run, I really do not buy any of the other books. I am a one and done guy when it comes to comic books, even Amazing Spider-man. I just have them to have I guess.

The best thing I ever bought was this Marvel Unlimited Subscription. I could easily see myself never picking up a new Marvel book outside of ASM ever again.

I am a collector of Moderns and GA ( ??? don't really collect SA or BA) I love Atomic Robo :cloud9: GI Joe :cloud9: and Albedo. I am obsessed with TPB's and omnis and graphic novels and masterworks and anything I can read that I like, has a good storyline, Or has a cover I just randomly feel looks good. :grin: Although reading floppies is very satisfying, I love reading something and knowing I can damage it no problem.

Oh, I love Larry Hama and hate Rob Liefield :devil:

Masterworks are great for reading,but there is just something about owning the original book.The feel,smell etc. :cloud9:

Agreed, Archives and Masterworks ( Top shelf ) are brilliant and I want them all, but to me they are no substitute for the real thing :blush:

1ComicroomFLH.jpg

Nostalgia is a powerful lure.

Does the smell of newsprint bring back memories of nights reading the books with a flashlight under the blankets very late at night?

Can you imagine the comic sitting on the wooden shelf in a pile of other second hand books in the local Smoke Shop -- 5¢ a piece?

Does the contrast of the colours look just right on the newsprint of the comic?

Do you stare at the indicia and marvel at how long ago 1965 was?

Do you wonder what is going to happen to Spidey next when you reach the end of the comic -- even though you've read the book and the next thirty issues dozens of times?

Do you wish you didn't have to put the comic back in the mylar and that it could just sit on your book shelf the way it did forty years ago?

Generally speaking, if the original apperance is not SO meaningful, I don’t wish to have it.

For example, I like the Avengers but I am pretty much uninterested in having a #1 because the group was sort of "made up" from pre-existing characters (with no particular poignance) and did not came spontaneously as the FF or the X-Men.

Another example is Iron Man: while I really like him, the origin story is not THAT great – even Don Heck, which I like, has done a lot better work on other issues of various titles.

Inversely, when I consider a story important in terms of content, meaning, and historical relevance (example: the three Spidey issues with the drug-related story, Sub-Mariner #28 and #57 or Iron Man #45-46 which deal with youth movements of the late 1960s, some Fantastic Four, Nick Fury or Invaders stories referring to war events or reflecting on the war), then I wish to have the original book.

I don’t like Masterworks or reprints with awful recoloring, so if I have to keep a run for reference or to read, I prefer the Essentials. I bought almost all the Masterworks when they came out, but if I could sell them now I’d do (they are too expensive to ship overseas, so at best I could donate them).

Plus, one of the biggest reasons for me to have original books (even low grade GA books) is to see how the publication in full FELT at the time it was released – for Marvels, for example, this includes the Letters page.

The twelve-year-old boy in me feels forced to respond. :grin:

For example, I like the Avengers but I am pretty much uninterested in having a #1 because the group was sort of "made up" from pre-existing characters (with no particular poignance) and did not came spontaneously as the FF or the X-Men.

I always enjoyed this story because all the character were still so primitive in their characterizations back in 1963. I remember thinking that Iron Man outside of Tales of Suspense in his yellow armour was pretty cool and impressive.

Another example is Iron Man: while I really like him, the origin story is not THAT great – even Don Heck, which I like, has done a lot better work on other issues of various titles.

This one really is worth a reread. It's a remarkable story for a number of reasons outside of being the first Iron Man. The Viet Nam setting is unusual for the period* and one of the origin story's strongest themes is echoed only a few months later in Ditko's Doctor Strange --the man at the height of his powers is taught a lesson because of his hubris.

And when I read how you don't believe the Heck art to be all that great, I could only think of this Gahan Wilson cartoon. :sorry:

isnothingsacred.jpg

*Remember how the movies stayed away from Viet Nam for years... only John Wayne's Green Berets tackled the subject.

1. What determines which key issues you buy?

2. Are you a fan of books/characters/teams of which you don't actually collect any key issues? (Put another way, are there books you love to read but feel no need to own?)

3. Do you collect any key issues of which you are not a fan of the characters/teams/subject matter, just because they're keys? Why, resale, collector-itus (just to have it), other?

1) Do I want to read it? And even then often I'll skip the keys. Only on a series I truly love. I only own first apps of a handful of series. I'm not really a character follower and pretty much all series I like are creator owned and all first appearances are the first chapter of an ongoing saga.

2) Yeah. If it's too expensive I'm not going to bother. I love TMNT, I'm never buying a #1 first print.

3) No, not really.

I have set so many goals in my collecting. Every time I finish a title or years and years worth of stuff....and feel like I am done...I start a new want list with more and more titles. Something special to me about completing runs of comics. The smell....flipping thru the pages....crossing off that issue from my want list. Buying a trade is nothing like the feeling I get from buying back issues. Finishing long running stuff like Amazing and FF which I started to collect in my teens....was a huge feeling of :o to me, because I never thought I would complete these runs.

The grown-up boy which increases his admiration for Lee & company’s work as time passes needs to clarify… (thumbs u

I always enjoyed this story because all the character were still so primitive in their characterizations back in 1963. I remember thinking that Iron Man outside of Tales of Suspense in his yellow armour was pretty cool and impressive.

Don’t get me wrong: I have not said it’s not fascinating: it’s just that I find it less original than the other groups firsts (I am a FF hardcore fan). Close second "weaker" 1st issue could be the Champions, and I DO love the Champions, but this is just a general remark.

This one really is worth a reread. It's a remarkable story for a number of reasons outside of being the first Iron Man. The Viet Nam setting is unusual for the period* and one of the origin story's strongest themes is echoed only a few months later in Ditko's Doctor Strange --the man at the height of his powers is taught a lesson because of his hubris.

And when I read how you don't believe the Heck art to be all that great, I could only think of this Gahan Wilson cartoon. :sorry:

isnothingsacred.jpg

*Remember how the movies stayed away from Viet Nam for years... only John Wayne's Green Berets tackled the subject.

Agreed, I am very ignorant in historical matters (although I love history), and did not think this must be the very first Marvel story dealing with the Vietnam subject.

About Heck: you are putting words I did not say in my mouth: I DO love Heck. I did not say Heck art is "not all that great" (that comment was on the story, but again – I stand corrected), I just said there are other better examples of his work. ;)

I am a hopeless OCD collector,so I must have all keys.Whether I like the character or not,but thank God I like most of DC and Marvel characters.

:headbang:

My previous focus. I landed about 350 of them, but now they're almost all gone...

:headbang:

My previous focus. I landed about 350 of them, but now they're almost all gone...

GONE! Will Robinson,that does not compute.

DangerWillRobinson.jpg

Truthfully, I think most key collectors are just small people who want people to look at their collection and say, "wow, you're so lucky, I'm so jealous" in the same way many people buy a luxury car strictly for the status.

Flame on! :devil:

Well, let me get your opinion. I'm an X-Men fan. I have tons of X-Men books in Omnis, trades, Masterworks, and Essentials. I've read all of that stuff. The floppies I own are the Stan Lee run (1-19), a few "keys" after that until my early Claremont run (GSXM1; 94-143), and then the major keys after that. While there are a couple specific runs in there, a lot of what I have are keys (at least from an X-Men perspective). I just don't feel the need to own the whole Uncanny run (with some junk in it) when I have most of it in reprint for reading purposes anyway.

Does this make me a "key collector" in your opinion? BTW, I've never had someone over to my house to show them my comics. Can someone want to own the keys without wanting to do so as a status symbol?

I've been a collector since 1966 and a part time dealer for 35 years. I know a number of collectors with outstanding collections that are essentially unknown. They don't participate on any discussion boards, they only rarely visit a comic book store. They have quietly for decades built amazing collections just 'cause they love comics. They don't slab books either.

A short answer to your original question. I consider myself a fan and a collector. I collect the things I enjoy that are within my financial ability, with an eye towards quality. I prefer to own key and representative issues of my favorite titles/characters rather than complete runs. Not just for overall cost or the likelihood of better investment. I mean you never know what will turn out to be "key" down the road. The first appearance of Ultron? Or Guardians of the Galaxy? It's mostly a matter of space. ASM is what, a 700 issue run? I own about 20. I own a lot of the Marvel Masterworks because they are safer to read even if I have the originals.

I got rid of all the books I owned just for investment that I didn't otherwise read or enjoy the title/character many years ago. There is so much stuff I do like that finding things within my likes that will likely appreciate in value isn't hard. Nor do I sell stuff I like just because it has gone "flat". I've kept and added to my collection of better Disney stuff by Barks regardless of the fact that in mid grade it hasn't appreciated much for decades.

Life and collecting is all about balance.

My main focus is the early ASM issues (5 issues left :wishluck:) and I wasn't even born when they were made, so it's not nostalgia for me. I do love reading comics from that time period though, Marvel superheroes' infancy, even though I wasn't born until '78. And the collected books don't do it for me. I love the experience of being in the 60s and reading the books then, ads, letters pages and all. Can you still be nostalgic about something you didn't actually experience? Hmm..

The grown-up boy which increases his admiration for Lee & company’s work as time passes needs to clarify… (thumbs u

Don’t get me wrong: I have not said it’s not fascinating: it’s just that I find it less original than the other groups firsts (I am a FF hardcore fan). Close second "weaker" 1st issue could be the Champions, and I DO love the Champions, but this is just a general remark.

isnothingsacred.jpg

Agreed, I am very ignorant in historical matters (although I love history), and did not think this must be the very first Marvel story dealing with the Vietnam subject.

About Heck: you are putting words I did not say in my mouth: I DO love Heck. I did not say Heck art is "not all that great" (that comment was on the story, but again – I stand corrected), I just said there are other better examples of his work. ;)

Don Heck's art is just awful. One of the worst artists of the Silver Age.