• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Russ Cochran EC library help wanted

11 posts in this topic

I can remember sometime in the early 80's when Russ Cochran released the hardback EC reprint volumes. Unfortunately, I never got these at the time, but I'd like to start picking them up now.

Can anyone give me any info on these volumes. How many were produced? Was there just one edition or were they in print for a number of years? Are any of them particularly expensive or hard to find in comparison with the rest?

Many thanks for any help that comes and a big thumbsup2.gif in reward.

I believe most of the Cochran hardbacks went through two printings, years apart from one another.

The following sets are very easy to find on ebay and elsewhere, and should cost you less than $100 a piece:

Tales from The Crypt

Vault of Horror

Haunt of Fear

Crime Patrol

The Weird Science/Fantasy sets and the Suspenstories sets are a little tougher, though not that tough. On ebay they go for like 125-150. Panic and the New Direction sets go for around 100 each. They're tougher than the sci-fi sets, but demand is low so they usually don't get overly pricey.

The toughest sets are Modern Love and Mad. Modern love is only a two-book set, but it will usually cost over $150, as it comes around rarely. With Mad, expect to pay anywhere from 200-500 dollars for the set, depending on if you get the color or the black & white version. Color's more expensive. Honestly, you're probably better off buying really low-grade reading copies of early Mads, unless you've got your heart set on the hardbacks in the fancy case.

I haven't got a complete EC library, as I usually opt to spend my dough on actual comics instead. I've got 5 of the above sets. Should I ever choose to complete the set, regular searches on ebay should get the job done in six months or less.

I just sold a set of 11 lots, with slip cases, from the early 80's, that did not include the MD or PANICs, for about $1500. I still have the Tales from the Crypt from a non buyer for sale. The highest price was the Shock set and that was because it included the slipcase. I believe the books could be bought seperately so there are books out there sans case, if all you want are the books. They are exquisitely printed even with B&W.

I'd've snapped them up if they had been. I do have a couple, but I'd get 'em all if they were in color. Probably too expensive to print at the time.

I think that Russ Cochran wanted the set to be an accurate reproduction of the original art, and that is why he didn't use color; he wanted every brushstroke accurately represented. William Gaines thought these books reproduced the original art so well that he ended up selling his originals. He felt that the books were good enough.

The only set I have is Vault of Horror, and the MD volume. They're beautiful.

I'd've snapped them up if they had been. I do have a couple, but I'd get 'em all if they were in color. Probably too expensive to print at the time.

I think that Russ Cochran wanted the set to be an accurate reproduction of the original art, and that is why he didn't use color; he wanted every brushstroke accurately represented. William Gaines thought these books reproduced the original art so well that he ended up selling his originals. He felt that the books were good enough.

The only set I have is Vault of Horror, and the MD volume. They're beautiful.

Good point !

The art shines through in B&W.

Is the Mad set selling for $200-500 dollars just for the four books or with the slipcase? I have the four books in color, each one bought separately when they came out, but no slipcase. Unfortunatetly, the spine on Vol. 1 has become badly faded. Not that I'm planning on selling those babies...