• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Possible AF 15 & JIM 84 scam?

27 posts in this topic

Is this a scam? If so, the seller has put a bit more effort into it:

Here are the items in question. An AF 15 CGC graded 6.5. This book was graded in April 2011 and GPA records it being sold in Sept 2011 for 23,750. Serial number 103711601

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Amazing-Fantasy-15-CGC-6-5-MUST-HAVE-FOR-ANY-COLLECTOR-/151160448739?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item2331dd66e3

A JIM 84 Signature series 9.4 graded Oct 2012. No recorded sale on GPA

Serial number 1101074001

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Journey-into-Mystery-84-CGC-SS-STAN-LEE-9-4-/151159616781?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item2331d0b50d

The red flags:

1) Low feed back seller (37) with poor score (91%)

2) The seller has five books for sale, these two and three modern SS books. The pictures of the SS books were all taken the same way at what looks to be the same spot (on a carpeted floor) Three pictures each. Front, close up of label and back. The two big books mentioned above the pictures are different from the moderns AND from each other. Two pictures each. The AF 15 is laying on a wooded table shot at an angle. The JIM shows no background, was taken straight on (no angle) and the second picture is some weird pictured turned sideways shot. No pictures of the label like the moderns.

3) Earlier sold listings by this seller had sharp, clear pictures and more pictures.

The "maybe it's legit"

1) The seller has sold comics and related stuff, including a CGC SS ASM 10 and a TOS 63. HOWEVER, with both those listings there were many more pictures. Four for the TOS 63 and eight for the ASM 10. Nice, sharp clear pictures

I've sent a message to the seller asking for more pictures to be either sent to me or posted up.

I think this is a scam. Other boardies' thoughts? The seller is listed as in Covina, CA. Does anyone know who owns these books? The JIM 84 SS in 9.4 might be particularly easy to identify the owner of. There is only one 9.4 SS and 9.4 is the highest graded in the census with only six copies total (4 universal, 1 restored and this one SS)

UPDATE:

I received a very quick reply from the seller on these books

Dear comicflash,

All the CGC books are on consignment from our customers. I can ask for better pictures for you

- geekstop13

The listing says that they just bought a large collection of books, doesn't mention (or imply) consignment.

And while geekstop13 could be someone big just now selling on eBay (Sparklecity at one point in time only had 37 feedback) I'm not sure why if you owned really rare and valuable items like these in question you would consign them to a brand new seller for a no reserve auction on eBay.

Having typed that, it makes no sense at all. It has to be a scam.

While we're at it.

Is this legit? Looks better than a 7.0...almost like a repro cover that's been slightly aged.

AMAZING FANTASY #15 (INTRODUCING SPIDERMAN) MUST SEE!!!

$T2eC16VHJGgFFmrW-Oi1BScEowHHZQ~~60_57.JPG

Obvious color touch. Probably would grade better than 7.0. But it would get a purple label and be worth a lot less than 20K

While we're at it.

Is this legit? Looks better than a 7.0...almost like a repro cover that's been slightly aged.

Lots of CT on that one.

I'll add the eBay seller name collectablebargains916 to this so Google picks it up.

He did sell a FF 1 cgc graded 5.5 I believe and it looks like the transaction went fine given the positive feedback he received.

Although, in some of his prior listings he makes conflicting statements about an upcoming slabbed AF15.

He did sell a FF 1 cgc graded 5.5 I believe and it looks like the transaction went fine given the positive feedback he received.

Although, in some of his prior listings he makes conflicting statements about an upcoming slabbed AF15.

Found it. This listing ended on 10/7.

OKAY EVERYONE... I RECENTLY HAD AN AUCTION UP FOR AMAZING FANTASY #15 AND MY BUY IT NOW WAS SET WELL BELOW VALUE AT $18,500... HAD ALOT OF VERY INTERESTED BIDDERS BUT IT DID NOT REACH THE RESERVE SO.... ANYWAY IT WAS A GOOD THING BECAUSE I ENDED UP SELLING THAT COMIC RIGHT HERE LOCALLY CLOSER TO ITS ACTUAL VALUE...

(and)

P.S. KEEP YOUR EYES OPEN IN THE NEXT WEEK OR SO IM SUPPOSED TO BE GETTING ANOTHER "AMAZING FANTASY #15" CGC 6.5 IN HARD CASE AND I AGAIN WILL DO MY BEST TO KEEP THE PRICES HAPPY FOR YOU TRUE MUST HAVE COMIC LOVERS...

LINK

Found it. This listing ended on 10/7.

OKAY EVERYONE... I RECENTLY HAD AN AUCTION UP FOR AMAZING FANTASY #15 AND MY BUY IT NOW WAS SET WELL BELOW VALUE AT $18,500... HAD ALOT OF VERY INTERESTED BIDDERS BUT IT DID NOT REACH THE RESERVE SO.... ANYWAY IT WAS A GOOD THING BECAUSE I ENDED UP SELLING THAT COMIC RIGHT HERE LOCALLY CLOSER TO ITS ACTUAL VALUE...

(and)

P.S. KEEP YOUR EYES OPEN IN THE NEXT WEEK OR SO IM SUPPOSED TO BE GETTING ANOTHER "AMAZING FANTASY #15" CGC 6.5 IN HARD CASE AND I AGAIN WILL DO MY BEST TO KEEP THE PRICES HAPPY FOR YOU TRUE MUST HAVE COMIC LOVERS...

LINK

I can't find a listing from before 10/7, but he tried to sell this book after that on ebay. Along with a "free" DD1. He was asked directly if the book was restored and said no. Based on his description and answers I don't believe English is his primary language

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AMAZING-FANTASY-15-INTRODUCING-SPIDERMAN-MUST-SEE-free-daredevil-1-w-BIN-/121205837624?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item1c386e4f38

While we're at it.

Lots of CT on that one.

I sent him a message to see if he'd own up to it. It looks like a lot of color touch. It is a nice looking book though, but clearly $20,000 is a bit price.

OK. Got an email response from Doug Schmell (Pedigree Comics) on the JIM 84 SS 9.4. The listing of this book is a total scam. Doug still has the book in his possession as it is being paid off.

Everyone pile on and report this listing to eBay:

http://Support-the-Collectors-Society.com/itm/Journey-into-Mystery-84-CGC-SS-STAN-LEE-9-4-/151159616781?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item2331d0b50d

While we are at it - I think we can now safely assume the listing for the AF 15 is fraudulent as well:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/151160448739?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649