• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please grade this copy of Ghost Rider #1

34 posts in this topic

6.5, maybe 7.0

In addition to the 1/8" tear, I see

- wear and minor creasing around the lower staple

- wear across botton edge

- significant creasing, some of which breaks color, around middle of right edge

- color-breaking crease at middle of top edge

If this were Bats 20 or something, it'd be an 8.0 easily. As a BA book, it will receive harsher judgement from CGC.

6.5, maybe 7.0

In addition to the 1/8" tear, I see

- wear and minor creasing around the lower staple

- wear across botton edge

- significant creasing, some of which breaks color, around middle of right edge

- color-breaking crease at middle of top edge

If this were Bats 20 or something, it'd be an 8.0 easily. As a BA book, it will receive harsher judgement from CGC.

Garth,

I'll buy a couple of boxes of your Bronze Age 7.0's - send 'em over dude! insane.gifmakepoint.gifdevil.gif

Well, I pride myself on strict grading... crazy.gif

Everything in my collection is strictly graded and then I drop it down another 1/2 grade. Why? Because I anticipate some minor, incremental damage down the road, if only from moving boxes around and etc.

I would be willing to bet money that this GR 1 doesn't garner more than a 7.0 from CGC. And I'm not much of a gambler.

Take a look at all the cover wear - then add up the significant creases. Looks like someone pinched this book at the top and right edges both, to the point where those edges have that oval/triangular multi-crease effect going on. (Is there a specific term for this kind of creasing, that generally occurs from multiple readings and/or rough handling?)

I honestly think 7.0 might be a tad generous... sorry... frown.gif

Well, I pride myself on strict grading... crazy.gif

Everything in my collection is strictly graded and then I drop it down another 1/2 grade. Why? Because I anticipate some minor, incremental damage down the road, if only from moving boxes around and etc.

I would be willing to bet money that this GR 1 doesn't garner more than a 7.0 from CGC. And I'm not much of a gambler.

Take a look at all the cover wear - then add up the significant creases. Looks like someone pinched this book at the top and right edges both, to the point where those edges have that oval/triangular multi-crease effect going on. (Is there a specific term for this kind of creasing, that generally occurs from multiple readings and/or rough handling?)

I honestly think 7.0 might be a tad generous... sorry... frown.gif

repeat "I am not my books" repeat "I am not my books" repeat --- Whew, I thought I almost lost it there grin.gif

It's funny - I think I'm actually able to grade my own comics more harshly than I do those of friends/acquaintances (eBay sellers' wares are another matter altogether).

Here's hoping I'm way off and the GR snags a 9.0 from CGC smile.gif

And yes, distancing yourself somewhat from your books is probably wise...otherwise, you'll eventually wake up some morning in a less-than-skintight Captain American getup, wondering what the hell you did last night. Trust me on this... insane.gif

I know your question wasn't posed to me, but I'd say it's more than fair.

I count 8 small color-breaking creases on the spine. This is a BA book. See my list of other defects above...

Do you still think it has a shot at VF-, let alone VF+ ?

Maybe I should unload - er, grudgingly part with - some of my BA midgrade - ah, I mean high grade - stuff on these boards!

I can't believe I've become the "bad cop" on this one 893whatthe.gif

Take away that tear.. and you got a 8.5 thumbsup2.gif

Minor color scuffs, and top edge break, do not out weigh the solid spine, or clean top corners.

So I say you got yourself one sweet 7.5... perhaps 8.0, that at first glance is a solid 9.0 keeper.

Anyway you slice it.. that is still one nice G.R. #1

Ze-

i was thinking 8.0-8.5 at first but then realized after reading these posts, that there was that thumbnail crease on the upper edge and the creasing along the right edge, both of which i missed.

also, i don't think this is a "solid spine". there appear to be at least ahalf dozen small spine creases that are hard to see.

so, taking all the little defects into account and then the bigger than real life scan, i'm saying a 7.5............. sumo.gif

Ok, so now that you guy's have all weighed in at somewhere between 7.0 devil.gif and 8.5 cloud9.gif

Q1) What would you list it as on eBay, and;

Q2) What size scan would you use? 3" (smaller), width 4"width (this one here), or 5" width (larger)?

Or would you slab it first?

Thanks, d