• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM Witching Hour #1 - Grade In

19 posts in this topic

Withces are notoriously old, hunch-boned, and withered. This witch, however, has had at least a bit of practice with youth potions and other nefarious means of stalling old age.

Sure, you open her up and are reminded of how your first comics shop smelled, long before you knew what that smell indicated. But it's nothing a bit of fresh linen won't cure.

You can imagine a witch's spine, like a gnarled tree limb. This cackler has about 11 spine ticks/creases on the front cover. TLHC, color wear. BLHC, blunted, impact damage. BRHC and edge, some crumpling.

Front right cover edge is pretty clean. Book was read, but read carefully.

Back cover shows what may be foxing? The two tears you may spot to the left of that red text block are almost 1/4" in length.

So yeah, this witch hasn't foregone the broomstick, but she hasn't ridden as hard as some.

Here's my take on the grade. I'll wrap it in spoilers.

Hi Res - Front

Lo Res - Rear

KXpRKWnl.jpg

MoXCMLcl.jpg

I absolutely love the descriptions of your books! (worship) I find these grades the hardest since there seems to be such a large variation in what is perceived as acceptable defects for any given mid-grade.

You have covered off all the obvious defects very well and confirmed the small tears on the back cover. For this book I'm grading 6.0. If the back cover tears were not present this grade could have been higher IMHO. Great book! (thumbs u

Looks like a 6.0 to me, but could see CGC giving it anything from 5.5 to a 7.0 based on what I've seen.

5.5? :o

There is no major crease across 1/4 to 1/2 of the cover that would take down to 5.5 or subscription crease.

At least 6.0 with the small tears and light foxing/oxidation area is affirmed.

Looks like a 6.0 to me, but could see CGC giving it anything from 5.5 to a 7.0 based on what I've seen.

There is no major crease across 1/4 to 1/2 of the cover that would take down to 5.5 or subscription crease.

Small tears and many small stains on the back cover, multiple color breaking spine ticks, bottom color-breaking corner creasing and a small spine tear, bottom edge crease, light top rt. corner creasing, slight bottom right corner creasing. A press probably helped the corners. 5.5 might be a harsh grade, but I've gotten a 6.0 back that had less, I've also had a 7.5 that was no better, CGC is somewhat inconsistent in the fine grades. If the same book has a color breaking crease through 1/2 the cover it would in VG territory for me.

Small tears and many small stains on the back cover, multiple color breaking spine ticks, bottom color-breaking corner creasing and a small spine tear, bottom edge crease, light top rt. corner creasing, slight bottom right corner creasing. A press probably helped the corners. 5.5 might be a harsh grade, but I've gotten a 6.0 back that had less, I've also had a 7.5 that was no better, CGC is somewhat inconsistent in the fine grades. If the same book has a color breaking crease through 1/2 the cover it would in VG territory for me.

Sometimes, those graders have bad days! Someone is lucky enough to get nice grades from CGC when the graders have good days. At some points, I agreed with you about the inconsistent grades upon the books in Fine condition.

The book does have really sharp colors, something hard for me to show in the scan. I think those colors explain the grade somewhat. It's the small tears on the back that would have me giving it the 7.0. Regardless, I'm happy. One day, I'll get a nicer copy, but for now, this old cackler will do wonderfully. :)