• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mystery Tales 19 Club
1 1

136 posts in this topic

So this book was one of my grail books. It really stood out when a boardie (apologies for forgetting who the particular boardie was) sold a high grade run of most Mystery Tales issues sometime over the past year or two. These books were flying out with most having several :takeit:'s coming through in seconds after being posted. Among all those covers, this one was the coolest to me. I have wanted a copy ever since. The other day, I managed to track down a copy...

IMAG1138_zps415479f9.jpg

The books looks great in hand. What colors! I'm very happy to be a part of this exclusive club. I also saw that one was just posted on ebay with a buy it now of $10,000!

If you want to take a look at that issue it can be found here:

www.ebay.com/itm/Mystery-Tales-19-former-CGC-8-5-LONE-TOP-CENSUS-pre-code-Atlas-horror-RARE-/221313791370?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item338754758a

Anybody else out there have a sweet copy of this awesome book? Or any other Mystery Tales you wanna show off?

Congrats on your book, peterpark -- looks like a book from Blazing Bob, if I recognize the handwriting on the price sticker. :)

Sorry that happened with one of your books, Scott -- if/when I sell things, it doesn't pay to look back, I just consider it... gone.

Highgradecomics.com really came through for me there!

Hey, hey! Any more copies for people to show off? I'd also be interested if anyone thinks a similar cover can give this one some solid competition... hm

Not a zombie cover but one similar in respect to coloring, mood and artist (Anderson) is JIUW #26.

JourneyIntoUnknownWorlds26_zpsbfdb0499.jpg

I sold an item that was too good to sell and when I inquired I was quoted a price 15x what I had sold for two years earlier. I was incredibly choked because I felt disrespected to be quoted that much on something I had sold to him in the first place. And this is coming from someone who normally doesn't care WTF is done with sold items once they are gone. But the scale of what I perceived to be the greed got to me.

Im seriously intrigued by the social rules that might exist in this little community.

Was the 15x price near fair market value or was it a gouging?

How does the fact that you were the one that sold it to him affect what the price should be (really I want to know). Is the expectation here in this community that the original seller should get some sort of discount/best price vs what the new seller is asking (lets assume the seller is asking market).

I'm curious about this as well. What if you buy a book, that might be a high price at the time, but the book significantly spikes in popularity and the FMV really jumps? Are you supposed to give the original seller a deal, or sell for a fair market price? I would think that you should sell for a fair price in the present market. Only seems fair imo.

I sold an item that was too good to sell and when I inquired I was quoted a price 15x what I had sold for two years earlier. I was incredibly choked because I felt disrespected to be quoted that much on something I had sold to him in the first place. And this is coming from someone who normally doesn't care WTF is done with sold items once they are gone. But the scale of what I perceived to be the greed got to me.

Im seriously intrigued by the social rules that might exist in this little community.

Was the 15x price near fair market value or was it a gouging?

How does the fact that you were the one that sold it to him affect what the price should be (really I want to know). Is the expectation here in this community that the original seller should get some sort of discount/best price vs what the new seller is asking (lets assume the seller is asking market).

I'm curious about this as well. What if you buy a book, that might be a high price at the time, but the book significantly spikes in popularity and the FMV really jumps? Are you supposed to give the original seller a deal, or sell for a fair market price? I would think that you should sell for a fair price in the present market. Only seems fair imo.

Is the seller actually asking market? Did the books really increase in value 15X over the past 2 years? There are some very greedy sellers who price books extremely high & just wait for a sucker. I just refuse to do business with those people. If the book really has skyrocketed in value, you don't have a right to expect a bargain.

Was the guy actually looking to sell the book? I have a select few books that I wouldn't sell for any real-world price (nobody's going to offer me $50K for a $5K book, so that sort of hypothetical situation isn't worth discussing), but I have many more books that I plan to keep but which I would sell if somebody offered me a really strong price, say 2X or 3X fair market value. So maybe that's the situation with this seller--he actually likes the book and wants to keep it but is willing to sell it if he can get a phenomenal price.

unless some promise was made there are no 'do overs.' I think it is always nice to offer it back at current FMV or say " I'm planning on listing it for X I know you love it/regret selling if you can get to that number or close it is yours"

Edited by Johnny545

Hey, hey! Any more copies for people to show off? I'd also be interested if anyone thinks a similar cover can give this one some solid competition... hm

Not a zombie cover but one similar in respect to coloring, mood and artist (Anderson) is JIUW #26.

JourneyIntoUnknownWorlds26_zpsbfdb0499.jpg

Y'know, I saw this at a con, thought the same thing and almost bought it...probably will soon...ahhh, precode :cloud9:

Just read JIUW #26 and #27 yesterday. Issue #27 has a full page add ad for YM#24, Sub-Mariner and the Human Torch Atlas revival. Very cool stuff.

Love seeing stuff like that too, it reminds you of what else was sharing the newsstand racks at the time. A real snapshot in time! (thumbs u

Conversely, what if you sell a book for say, $1500. And, 2 years later it 'tanks' - and the guy who bought it from you can't get $500 for it. Should you give him a refund?

Caveat emptor.

There is a risk involved in buying anything.

"Give me first refusal if you ever decide to sell" is not the same as "Sell it back to me for what I paid." And so on.

What matters is what the agreement was at the time of sale. I've come to the tentative conclusion that there is no such thing as an unspoken agreement.

Sometimes situations arise - I can think of one quite recently that got somewhat entangled, and in the end it was my own fault for not thinking everything through at the time a deal was brokered.

But the bottom line is, where viewpoints differ, can they be reconciled? Sometimes my own viewpoint has changed accordingly.