• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mystery Tales 19 Club
1 1

136 posts in this topic

That is my old copy. I am the person who had it graded. I sold it to a fellow board member, who has told me many times that if I ever wanted to buy it back, I would get first shot if he decided to sell it. A Gentleman's Agreement if you will. Now here it is on Ebay, for 9400 more than I sold it to him. I don't think po'ed can fully express what I am feeling at this moment.

Scott, I assumed you no longer wanted it since you:

a) Started a thread saying you were leaving comics

b) Stopped posting on the boards

c) Sold off a bunch of your books

d) Read and ignored my last PM to you when I asked you how you were doing.

Instead of just sending me a PM like a normal person, expressing interest in getting it back, I guess you decided this would be the better course of action. I'll pull the listing and put it back in my collection, because I am sure as hell not selling it back to you after this.

Next time just send me a PM letting me know that you are still collecting comics after a very public exit, or better yet don't read and ignore PMs I send you.

Have a great night bud.

Hey Andy,

I wouldn't take the book if you gave it to me. It is my business if I choose to sell off some books, and it is my right to experience burn out. I guess you just played detective and decided that the one true book that I regretted selling would not be wanted back. I still have a lot of books that I may sell one day. I hope this does not negate the "agreements" I have with other buyers who have promised me first shot. I don't think it will, because they have something you obviously lack, class. Here is a portion of your last message...which I did not intentionally ignore..but life happens and I neglected to respond. This is the last paragraph of your message:

That said, if you really decide to part with them, give me a shout. I have every book you sold me, and don't have any selling plans, so you will at least know where they are.

Nice words, but I should know better than to trust a lawyer. You have a great night too. I will...because I know I can look in a mirror and feel good about what I see.

Yes, I should have asked you despite having obvious reasons to not bother. That's my fault. Not a good move on my part.

On the other hand you could have written me a one sentence PM setting me straight so that we could work something out, but what fun would that be? Instead you decided to make a simple mixup public in some stupid effort to shame me or make something out of nothing. What exactly did that accomplish, other than ensuring that I never bother to deal with you again?

To be honest,( you understand that action, right?), I reacted to this thread out of shock. I was disappointed, and seriously let down by you. My reaction was because your actions hurt me. That is why I did not send a pm...my emotions got the better of me. That one is on me. When you say I made something out of nothing, you marginalize how this made me feel. That proves to me that you truly could care less about your own actions. I have made YOU the victim according to your account. That is rich.

You knew how badly I wanted this book back. I have sold several thousands books in the past 4 years, and this is the only one I tried to get back. I dare you to say that I did not contact you at least 4-5 times begging for it back. We both know the truth, no matter how you try to paint me. A hard lesson learned once again...which is you really cannot trust anyone anymore. I have nothing more to say. I think that the people who read this thread can make up their minds on how they would feel if they were in my place.

Since you both seem to agree that Andy told you he would give you first chance to buy it back and he has put it up for sale, the simple solution is for him to keep his word and offer it to you now.

^ Well let's call a spade a spade. The issue is the asking price.

Wrightson fan is bent because at a 10k ask he doesn't think it's possible to get it back for what he feels is a reasonable price. It stings because he felt it was a mistake to sell it and now the high ask price is salt in the wounds. I've been in this position myself. I sold an item that was too good to sell and when I inquired I was quoted a price 15x what I had sold for two years earlier. I was incredibly choked because I felt disrespected to be quoted that much on something I had sold to him in the first place. And this is coming from someone who normally doesn't care WTF is done with sold items once they are gone. But the scale of what I perceived to be the greed got to me.

From Andy's side I can understand him liking the book too and the prospect of a huge price is probably the only reason he'd consider selling. If I was in his shoes I could totally see thinking well a) I tried to contact him and b) a guy who has 600 as a past benchmark isn't going to be my best buyer anyways and c) unless I cash in big it's staying with me anyways.

It's unfortunate and I can see why both sides are bent. Huge increases in value make things really messy. Hopefully you guys work something out.

Nope. This was a Metro purchase circa 2005-6. :gossip:

Oops, my bad.

Did you take part in that thread though? It was actually great entertainment...books were going for several hundred dollars in seconds. I remember Goldust got some nice books but I think he missed out on the 19. It was a nice, nice copy. It was almost a complete run. Issue 40 was conspicuously missing though...and I'm still looking for that one...

Ok, I decided to look a little harder and found this thread. It was SNiPER that inspired my search. It's not an 8.5 but it looks awesome anyway...

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=6301163&fpart=12

And luckily all the pictures are still posted!

And if you don't want to see all the fun that was had...here's the book

mt19.jpg

mt191.jpg

mt192.jpg

I was watching Snipers thread too. That was a lot of fun. I was waiting on the #19 and tried to rush my bid in but absolutely choked.

I think I hit a smiley face instead of "I'll take it" and clicked preview post instead of submit. I remember laughing out loud at my miserable failure.

That's the closest I've come to getting a #19.

:applause: for the ones posted so far.

I was watching it also, thought it would top out at 1200, nice sale. I feel like heritage under grades.

At least that has been my experience.

Although you couldnt see the MT 19 from what I saw it looked FN for sure maybe better.

Edited by Johnny545

Ok, I decided to look a little harder and found this thread. It was SNiPER that inspired my search. It's not an 8.5 but it looks awesome anyway...

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=6301163&fpart=12

And luckily all the pictures are still posted!

And if you don't want to see all the fun that was had...here's the book

mt19.jpg

mt191.jpg

mt192.jpg

I was the lucky buyer of this MT 19. I didn't agree with Metro's VF++ ( or whatever 8.75 means) and wasn't even really sure it was in fact a River City. Nevertheless, it had good paper and the cover was incredibly glossy. I had a nice VG at the time, which I ended up getting graded and then sold on MCS not too long ago.

There are River City's with no code. They are usually very nice copies and fresher than the average RC.

I was watching it also, thought it would top out at 1200, nice sale. I feel like heritage under grades.

Although you couldnt see the MT 19 from what I saw it looked FN for sure maybe better.

What did it top out at?

$1900 with buyers premium.

Edited by Johnny545

There are River City's with no code. They are usually very nice copies and fresher than the average RC.

I have one with no code.

IMG_2170_zpsd7b46283.jpg

AS did you see some of the Atlas books in tonights HA sunday auction?

A few appeared to be River City books but weren't sold as such. Any thoughts one way or the other?

Edited by Johnny545

What did it top out at?

$1600 with buyers premium.

And why is that? Is that another reflection of the silly prices some Atlas Horrors have garnered on eBay or am I just clueless about the price for these books?

I sold all of my MT in the past year. There was one bidder on eBay trying to grab every Mystery Tale. I don't know if he's still buying them, but he was binning mine as fast as I listed them. I listed one twice by accident and he took both.

Nice man, he said he was trying to corner the market (on just that title) and he alone had driven those prices up.

I don't remember his ID and its hard to tell now that all the titles are masked, but he was paying outrageous prices. He didn't care about grade unless it was falling apart..

A few appeared to be River City books but weren't sold as such. Any thoughts one way or the other?
If you post a link to the ones you have questions on I'll answer.