• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mystery Tales 19 Club
1 1

136 posts in this topic

According to the grading guide, 6.0 = Fine.

For 2.0 GOOD,

"The largest piece allowed missing from the front or back cover is usually a 1/2" triangle or a 1/4" square". Technically then it doesn't even qualify for GD.

With the FC chips out, upper staple stress, dust shadow and POBC, I would give it a 4.0 VG.

CGC has kind of loosened the standards of what is accepted as a good. For me, however, large pieces (1"x1"+) are a deal breaker above 2.5, unless the book is otherwise VF with great PQ (....and on the BC). The fact that it's BC may help a little..... but that book is too toasty for me. In the sellers defense, he does post scans that are "as is" without editing out the brown. With the feeding frenzy associated with this book, I'd see it fetching 4-500, but I'm sitting this one out. It's not the kind of book you could handle and read. It could easily become a 3 parter. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Edited by jimjum12

CGC has kind of loosened the standards of what is accepted as a good. For me, however, large pieces (1"x1"+) are a deal breaker above 2.5, unless the book is otherwise VF with great PQ (....and on the BC). The fact that it's BC may help a little..... but that book is too toasty for me. In the sellers defense, he does post scans that are "as is" without editing out the brown. With the feeding frenzy associated with this book, I'd see it fetching 4-500, but I'm sitting this one out. It's not the kind of book you could handle and read. It could easily become a 3 parter. GOD BLESS....

+1

I would really like a copy but will not be bidding for the same reasons.

CGC has kind of loosened the standards of what is accepted as a good.

Now this is interesting, especially considering that it's not a slabbed book, with a CGC grade.

Does the hobby now follow what CGC establishes through their assigning of grades on submitted books as the standard, or continue to adhere to the OSPG reference?

Maybe I can have it both ways; when selling, give it a grade that I think CGC would assign, but when buying, use the OSPG to determine actual grade...:wink:

CGC has kind of loosened the standards of what is accepted as a good.

Now this is interesting, especially considering that it's not a slabbed book, with a CGC grade.

Does the hobby now follow what CGC establishes through their assigning of grades on submitted books as the standard, or continue to adhere to the OSPG reference?

Maybe I can have it both ways; when selling, give it a grade that I think CGC would assign, but when buying, use the OSPG to determine actual grade...:wink:

..... CGC grading has definitely had an effect on grading across the board..... but when did everyone ever agree on grading ? Most people (subconsciously) use two different standards anyway.... one when they buy and another when they sell. I always liked OPG because they spelled everything out..... but somehow the real world left me behind. CGC is usually tighter than OPG when it comes to high grade.... but looser in the grades below VG...... I've seen some dreadful books in a 3.0 slab..... stuff you or I would call Fair. It's my guess that CGC would give the MT 19 a 4.0 ........ maybe. GOD BLESS...

Unslabbed...looks to be about a 4.0 to me. Got $356 on eBay in November (I know...that was a while ago...but it's the only one that sold in the last few months as far as I can tell)

http://ebay.to/1F3Ny5x

Technically, per Overstreet, (The largest piece allowed missing from the front or back cover is usually a 1/2" triangle or a 1/4" square) the book wouldn't qualify for a 2...

Unslabbed...looks to be about a 4.0 to me. Got $356 on eBay in November (I know...that was a while ago...but it's the only one that sold in the last few months as far as I can tell)

http://ebay.to/1F3Ny5x

Technically, per Overstreet, (The largest piece allowed missing from the front or back cover is usually a 1/2" triangle or a 1/4" square) the book wouldn't qualify for a 2...

Agreed. That's a major chunk out of the back!