• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A question for the OA gurus...what have I got?

11 posts in this topic

I've had these pieces for a few years now, but don't really know exactly what I've got and I'm hoping someone could drop some knowledge on me. There are 4 Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles pieces that are ads. I'm not sure this is officially "original art" as there is no actual drawings, rather there are cutouts.

I know very little about all the processes involved in actually putting a comic together. If anyone could help me figure out the official terms for these, I'd appreciate it.

Piece 1) The overall size is about 12" x 17". Most everything appears to be printed (or photocopied) onto the board except for the "One Sale Now" strip which looks to be glued on. Held up to the light, it looks like the strip covers other words...something to the effect of "the book will be available in November". It also appears that the trademark line at the bottom had something affixed over the top of it that has since been removed.

TMNTBottom_stitch.jpg

Piece 2) The overall size is about 11.5" x 17". Everything appears to be printed onto the board itself. If I'm not mistaken, this was used as an ad on the back cover of some TMNT comic, though I'd need to dig through some boxes to find it. The dealer gave me the issue along with it when I purchased it.

TeenTop_stitch.jpg

Piece 3) The overall size is about 14" x 18". Everything on this page seems to be cut and pasted onto a board. There's nothing printed on the board itself.

IMG_1178.jpg

Piece 4) This piece is mounted on a thicker square board and the portion containing the glued on pieces is standard comic size. There was a piece of thin paper draped over it when I got it. This ad was run in TMNT vol. 1 #16 very close to the end of the book.

IMG_1179.jpg

IMG_1180.jpg

Thanks in advance for your help!

Looks like production art, composed of phototypesetting and stats. The final pieces were probably statted again and sent to publications or used in-house if they were printing them.

+1

Thanks for the responses.

Unfortunately, I'll need it explained as if I were 5 years old. What exactly does it mean to stat something? (shrug)

Great, thanks!

Does anyone know the purpose of the paper lying over the top of the stat in piece 4?

Yeah, that's just something we all did back then for presentation and protection, as well as being there for notes and corrections.

I don't miss doing those dang paste-ups.

You used to have this damn electric waxer that you'd use to wax/adhere the stats to the board. That thing was a pain...but much better than rubber cement. Which is why there's no real discoloration there (as there would be with rubber cement).

Although the rubber cement fumes were always fun.

It would get even more fun on jobs that had some spot color on them. hand cutting shapes out of highly flammable Rubylith and Amberlith and sticking them on acetate overlays. You had to make sure those were kept away from the electric waxer...

Good times...

Yeah, that's just something we all did back then for presentation and protection, as well as being there for notes and corrections.

You used to have this damn electric waxer that you'd use to wax/adhere the stats to the board. That thing was a pain...but much better than rubber cement. Which is why there's no real discoloration there (as there would be with rubber cement).

It would get even more fun on jobs that had some spot color on them. hand cutting shapes out of highly flammable Rubylith and Amberlith and sticking them on acetate overlays. You had to make sure those were kept away from the electric waxer...

Good times...

My first prepress job had me doing wax pasteups. Ahhh Rubylith - the good ole days...

Good times...

My first prepress job had me doing wax pasteups. Ahhh Rubylith - the good ole days...

Yup. I still have my old electric waxer from my college newspaper days. Comes in handy every now and then. I do not miss cutting amber or rubylith. However, learning that stuff old school made learning Pagemaker, Quark and InDesign a lot easier.